Take 2 Felted Bag and Question???

goodie2shoes

I think it looks sort of tropical :D I am pleased with it so far,

Can it be felted again???? there is more stitch definition in the orange part than I like, TIA.

If I do this bag again I will make the handle part much longer and thiner. It is drying now note the plastic bags inside. I also found a good use for large hair clips they make shaping a breeze

pic005vh5.th.jpg

pic002na1.th.jpg

Go for it. If you only want part felted more, try hand-felting it. I like the bag, especially the shape. Is this your own pattern? I hope you wrote it down if it is.

Lion Brand tote here

http://joann.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-tote.html

I used a J hook because it is double crocheted. Normally I would have used a larger hook might next time and try the same pattern basics with a hdc instead of dc.

Using two contrasting colors one row of contrast where the decreases stop, then I changed the color on the last 4 rows that are no increase ones then as the handle starts I found the middle and crocheted the middle two stitches contrasting, then increased by one each side until the whole handle was one color, then when handle was joined I sc around handle opening each side in the contrasting color of the handle. Then I found the center of each opening. and added a closure across the center of the two openings with a magnetic closure put in place before felting.

yes you can felt it again and you will lose the stitch defination but it will also shrink up more. I like it as it is. I think the stitch definition on the orange gives it texture and interest. Love how you changed the color on the handle.

I may have to give that pattern a try. I've got a ton of Olive green wool that is crying out to be made into a large tote :D

You can definitely felt it again, but it will shrink a little more. Also, it looks like the grey yarn shrinks more than the orange, so there will probably still be a difference between the two yarns. If you do felt it again, you might want to try tugging and pulling on the grey part to get it to even up with the orange. Sometimes different colors - even if it is the same brand of yarn - will felt a different rates.....:think

You can definitely felt it again, but it will shrink a little more. Also, it looks like the grey yarn shrinks more than the orange, so there will probably still be a difference between the two yarns. If you do felt it again, you might want to try tugging and pulling on the grey part to get it to even up with the orange. Sometimes different colors - even if it is the same brand of yarn - will felt a different rates.....:think

Yep I felted it again it is better but the orange really is different than the blue stuff and they are both the same brand etc. I did some tugging and used some clothes pins and plastic bags to shape it is drying now.

Thank you all for your input, I am still experimenting.

• 2 weeks later...
Lion Brand tote here

http://joann.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-tote.html

I used a J hook because it is double crocheted. Normally I would have used a larger hook might next time and try the same pattern basics with a hdc instead of dc.

Using two contrasting colors one row of contrast where the decreases stop, then I changed the color on the last 4 rows that are no increase ones then as the handle starts I found the middle and crocheted the middle two stitches contrasting, then increased by one each side until the whole handle was one color, then when handle was joined I sc around handle opening each side in the contrasting color of the handle. Then I found the center of each opening. and added a closure across the center of the two openings with a magnetic closure put in place before felting.

Sorry, I know this is an older post, but goodie2shoes, how on earth did you attach the magnetic closure? I'm interested in doing this for my next felted bag (without lining it) and THINK I know how to do it, but was curious. If you're still reading, I'd love to know

Joyce

Sorry, I know this is an older post, but goodie2shoes, how on earth did you attach the magnetic closure? I'm interested in doing this for my next felted bag (without lining it) and THINK I know how to do it, but was curious. If you're still reading, I'd love to know

Joyce

Well the inner one on the purse body is just poked thru the threads before felting. The kind I bought you just smash with a hammer.The other one on the strap put on the end of the strap then folded over and stitched the end of the stap back before felting. Once it was felted the don't really show I did check them at every point during felting to make sure the yarn was felting around them.

Well the inner one on the purse body is just poked thru the threads before felting. The kind I bought you just smash with a hammer.The other one on the strap put on the end of the strap then folded over and stitched the end of the stap back before felting. Once it was felted the don't really show I did check them at every point during felting to make sure the yarn was felting around them.

THANKS!

Joyce

Archived