Crocheters vs. knitters

tigermom

All I can say is I think the only limits to crochet or anything for that matter is ourselves. There are many great patterns available but you do need to find them on the internet it seems. There are NO crochet pattern magazines in my entire area and I live in a pretty populated area. That's the only problem I have with crochet, I buy the pattern and then have to wait a few weeks to get it!

This is why I subscribe to several crochet magazines. If I waited for the stores to get with the program and carry them, I'd be waiting too long. Thank goodness for the internet though. The internet actually got me back crocheting with a vengence what with free patterns and all. Thank goodness for the internet because I have more options than just going to Joann's or Michael's or LYS for my yarn when I do visit the states. I'm less alone with my craft of choice - crochet, because of sites like this one where I can share my projects and enthusiam.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The only real difference that I feel is important to me is, crocheted clothing tends to be heavier and crocheting uses more yarn, but works up faster. And also there is more variety of stitches, which leaves it much more versatile in designing than knitting.

I wish I could knit, I've tried many times, and just can't get past the awkward stage, because I would LOVE to knit some tops and sweaters... maybe if I practiced more??

But I do not see the snobbery about knitting around here... people who have watched me crocheting think it's nice, some who have seen my pieces say they wish they could make something so pretty and practical. And it does give me a sense of pride when I can gift someone an item I made and see them be so happy and excited about it.

Knitting seems like the most complicated thing in world to learn, I struggles for montsh then decided to watch videos online and was casting on and knitting within an hour. purling took another day. LOL

You should try again, try the Continental way though, much easier for us hookers to learn. Oh and there's plenty of knit stitches too, just gotta practice and frog alot.

Crochet has become slower for me since I've been knitting but if it's round I can crochet it. I can crochet a hat way faster than I could ever knit one.

I don't think the awkwardness is ever going to improve for me. English or Continental, doesn't matter... I have a hard time handling two needles. Some of the stitches are uniform and some are not. I can knit and purl, and that's about it. But it takes me three forevers to get two rows done. My little SIL is so good at it... and taught herself from a book about a year ago.

I don't think the awkwardness is ever going to improve for me. English or Continental, doesn't matter... I have a hard time handling two needles. Some of the stitches are uniform and some are not. I can knit and purl, and that's about it. But it takes me three forevers to get two rows done. My little SIL is so good at it... and taught herself from a book about a year ago.

As for uniformity, my daughter-who-knits just got some square needles and sys her stitches are more even on those that on anything she has ever used.

I learned to knit first and then crochet and think they both have a place in my life (I also sew). But . . . for me, crocheting is more fun, I can finish something must faster and belonging to this site has introduced me to a whole lot of nice people and a wonderful world of crafters.

~ Debby

Archived