Crocheters vs. knitters

tigermom

I just came back from a yarn run at AC Moore and I am so p*****. They had 2 crochet magazines and 8 knitting magazines! Then I when to Barnes & Nobles..they had 1 crochet and 6 knitting!!! So I went back to the book section looking for a book with just crochet cardigans. There had to be 400 books in the crochet/knitting section, 90% were knit! I found ONE book with crochet cardigans, ONE!! I bought it, before that disappears. It's More Crocheted Aran Sweaters by Jane Snedden Peever. It has beautiful sweaters and I think all are done with ww yarn. 13 designs in sizes xs to xl! Seeing the title says "more", she must have another book out. I'll be looking for it. Just a little vent and you tell you about a great book I found.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knitting is more popular than crochet so logically there would be far more knitting magazines and books available. Glad you found something.

I think Barnes and Noble caters to select crowds. I very rarely find books I would read there. Try Books-A-Million if you have one. The one I go to has a wide variety of crochet books. Not quite as much as knitting, but I have noticed that as both knitting and crochet have become "in" again, they have drastically increased the number of crochet books and magazines they offer.

Knitting is making a big comeback these days, there is also a knitting show in my area..called Knitty Gritty..very nice. Don't let the amount of books for knitting versus crochet bother you. Go to the manager and ask if they could possibly stock more crochet books. For a sale they are likely to do just about anything. Venting is good for the soul!

Well, you should enjoy this. I was in Joann's yesterday looking for Fudge Brown thread. Couldn't find any, infact their crochet thread section was a joke. Anyway, while I was looking one of the sales people came up to me and asked if I knew anything about yarn.

I said some what can I do? There was a woman there who was looking for a type of yarn they did not carry. Can't remember the name now, but it was something like fun fur. So I asked what she was making and it was a scarf/collar type thing and the pattern called for the fun fur type of yarn. I told her the fun fur would work, but it sheds like crazy. I told her I prefer working with th boa. Showed her the two swatches they had made out of the boa.

Anyway, this is getting long, but she asked if I knew where she could get a pattern for a child's purse in knit, as alls she can find is crocheted ones.

I told her that I do both, but prefer crochet and that is the complaint of the crocheters. We can only find knit patterns not crocheted.

We chuckled and compained that Joann's and Michaels yarn sections are getting smaller.

She said she did want to learn crochet, as she can only do the afghan stitch and a small edging for blankets. I told her if she can do the afghan stitch, she can do anything. Gave her a couple of web sites to teach her and then gave her the Web site of Knit pattern Central.

I found it funny that she compalined about not being able to find patterns.

Oh and she was a very nice and not a snobby knitter.:hook

My mom is the type who will strike up a conversation with anyone. Once we were in the craft dept in JoAnn's maybe 2 years ago when she was looking at patterns for me. I was busy looking at yarn. Seems there was one of those "snobby knitters" and a nice knitter both there. The snobby one kept complaining that all she wanted was a tea cozy pattern they only had a crocheted one. The other woman struck up a conversation with my mom. I ended up telling her not to buy any patterns that day. I figured she could find what she was looking for at knit pattern central too. She'd never heard of it, so she was thrilled at the thought of a bunch of free patterns.

hey here i would be perfectly happy to find them in english, the english bookstores charge MORE then the recommnded value printed on the books and magazines because it is "specialty" here... stupid french as the official language.... but the english bookstores here have 5-6 crochet magazines and about 10 or so knitting (i do both so i love big selections of both!)

IMO, the selection in most big box craft stores is slim pickins. All I find are patterns and books for accessories (hats, scarves, purses) and almost no wearables. Add to the challenge of being plus sized and I usually walk out empty handed. On occasion I'll find an acceptable yarn.

As far as bookstores carrying more craft books, an option is to search online for the book you want, write down the ISBN number, author and title, then go to Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc. and have them do a special order. It takes about a week for a book not in their warehouse to come in, less if it is. If you don't like the book then you don't have to pay for it and there's no shipping costs involved.

For finding crochet books, check the library. Mine has dozens! My dh was horrified when he went to library and found I had 15 or so on hold. So he only brought back 3. He said I couldn't possibly want all those at once, and I said OF COURSE I DID!!! Why else would I put them on hold?

Since I've started knitting about 5 years ago, I have started feeling the dislike from crocheters I run into in Michaels and around.

Just this evening as I was hunting some double pointed needles for my first attempt at some socks, I had a lady and her teenage son talking very loudly about how horrible knitting is. One day it's going to take over all the pattern books, I've would never want to learn to knit, Crochet is so much better than knitting.

I don't think one craft is better then the other. I have been a crocheting for right at 13 years now, and honestly it is my first love. However I am really growing to love knitting too.

I don't think you have to do one or the other, and I'm really getting tired of being made to feel (by people IRL, not here) like I'm a trader by doing both crafts.

If I crocheted and cross-stitched people wouldn't think anything of it. However the feeling is very different when someone finds out you crochet and knit. I think it's very silly, honestly.

The knitting vs crochet is an ongoing war. One is not better over the other. It's just whatever you love the most. Each lives up to it's own legacy in the craft world.

I wish we could all just get along!

I crochet and dabble in knitting, but I don't knock one over the other.

Here's a :hug for all those who have had feelings hurt over the controversy.

:manyheart

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't get mad at me for saying this. Publishers are in the business to make money. They are not going to publish books that don't sell. I both knit and crochet, and love both. There are tons of knitting books out there, and I'm happy to see there are more crochet books being published. I've bought several, including Lily Chin's book which I love! I'd love to see more!

I belong to both knitting and crochet groups and in general I see one major difference between how patterns are addressed in those groups. For example: Someone posts a picture of a beautiful sweater they made:

The knitters group response: Where can I buy the pattern?

The crocheters group response: Is it a free pattern? Where is it?

This is certainly not the case for all people, but it definitely is a trend that I see, and I have read that sales of crochet books is much lower than that of knitting books.

I also find it easier to look at a picture of a crocheted item and replicate it than I do a knitted item. I admit to looking at pictures of published crocheted items and not buying them because I know I could fairly easy replicate that without having the pattern. Since I personally find it harder to do that with knitting, I'm more likely to buy the pattern.

I personally would love to see more patterns for clothing items, especially more intricate ones. I guess the moral of the story is - if we buy them there will be more.

Kathy S

Well, since I've now been knitting for a couple of months and hunting patterns like crazy, I have found that even when there are less crochet patterns available than knit ones, I always find more stuff that I like better in crochet! So much of the knit items are just all alike. Maybe knitters feel that way about crochet too, but honestly, I get so bored with the knit books. I've only found a very slim few that I've purchased so far. When I started this process with crochet, it was a much more wide open process. I find a lot of both books in the local bookstores - Barnes n' Noble, and Books a Million. Of course over half the time I just browse locally then buy on Amazon.com to get better prices. Once in a while I buy them sight-unseen off the site, and so far have had all good books, including 1 with knit bags.

<raises her hand>

Hi! I'm Melannie and I am a YARN ADDICT. Until recently, I have been anti-knitting. I felt that the whole world was getting tangled up with those needles and feeling that hookers were getting the shaft. Everytime I would go to my Barnes and Noble bookstore and see more knitting books than crochet, I would rant as loud as you please. Oh the audacity of being picky! Shame on you! :blah Blah blah blah:blah. But, I have since taken up knitting and find that I like it. I actually like it. But I still don't like the fact that CrochetWorld isn't around anymore...it seems like I have to have something to complain about. I will always be a crocheter first but knitting seems alright too.

:hook in public :knit in the closet..........lol

Knitting is older and more popular, hence there are more books on it. Manufacturers aren't much of a barometer. U.S. clothing makers have yet to notice that there aren't a lot of size 6's and 8's walking around nowadays.

I know how to knit and try to be unbiased about the two crafts. I do think crochet is simpler and has more versatility. Sometimes I just don't get knitters, though. They blow $10 a skein on high end yarn and spend weeks making a little sock. I couldn've cranked out an afghan by then.

I've never bought a pattern book or magazine. I'm eccentric and only like about 5% of the patterns I see. Not much point in spending $30 on a sweater book if I only like one pattern.

It's refreshing to see so many C'ville members who knit & crochet. I also do both. Sometimes it's near impossible for me to crochet with certain yarns, so I knit with them.

Certainly there are advantages and disadvantages for each. I prefer to crochet an afghan rather than knit one. Knitting uses less yarn. I'd rather knit a sweater than crochet one (both sleeves can be knitted at the same time!); they drape better IMHO. Knitting is simpler (there are only 2 stitches). Crocheting is faster.

I enjoy both knitting and crocheting. There is a great satisfaction in making something for myself and others.

As for yarn, sometimes I have a splurge and buy an expensive yarn. Why not? It's fun to work with a "special yarn." Slowly, so as to enjoy the experience (like an expensive dinner). Also, if the item to be made is for a special occasion and for a special friend or family member, I want to use a special yarn!

As for patterns, there are lots of free ones on the internet; what joy! There are also lots of magazines and leaflets / booklets available for sale online. IMO that's where you've got to look. My local library is sadly lacking in that department (lots of quilting books though).

Crocheting and knitting keeps our hands busy and productive. What good we do with our art! We give joy and comfort to others, and teach and/or inspire a younger, or older generation.

I agree--neither is better than the other. It's all in what your preference is. I do both, but prefer crochet. Knitting's fine until I make a mistake. It's much easier to fix mistake when crocheting because you only deal with one stitch at a time. The main thing I knit is guy's caps. I'd like to knit a sweater but can't seem to get far without dropping a bunch of stitches. Plus it goes so slowly I don't have the patience to finish one.

Crocheting and knitting keeps our hands busy and productive. What good we do with our art! We give joy and comfort to others, and teach and/or inspire a younger, or older generation.

My hands also tell me when I haven't been crocheting or knitting enough. They start feeling very stiff, almost arthritic and the joints start popping like rice krispies. I can't go more than a few days without feeling a difference.

I love both very much.

The Bookstore I got to carries only 2 Crochet magazines and 1 Knitting. But they do carry 9 different Quilting Mags.

So I guess it is like one other gal on here said, they cater to certain groups of people more than others in different cities.

I just wrote a blog post about this recently. I think we all need to get along. Even within each craft and cross crafts I think we all need to get along.

I love knitting socks and crocheting them. I want to learn how to make everything. I want to tackle knitted lace. It reflects in my love of crocheting doilies. I'm also learning to spin.

My MIL likes to knit and only knits afghans. She usually only has one project going at once. I have several things on my hooks and needles. My mom got back into knitting socks an likes it 'cause she is learning how to make socks fit as snug as she likes. Everyone is different. We are all doing our part to keep these skill alive.

I like to treat myself to nice yarn for both my knitting and my crocheting. That's where I spoil myself.

Basically, I'm fiber geeked.

I too wish I could find more/better crochet mags. If I could, then I'd buy them. Gotta have quality before you can expect to sell quality.

Here's my whole take on the knit vs. crochet deal.

Knitting seems more 'high end' and 'mainstream' in many people's mind. I think a lot of that has to do with so many bad crochet projects in the past... (not that knitting can escape scott free...). Also, knitting is an older craft.

I guess most people, both in the know, and not, see knitting as upper class or classy and crochet as 'granny' or 'old lady' or even cheep or 'lower class'. I mean, I only know one knitter, and she's got pretty expensive taste in yarn, while I'll crochet with whatever I can get my hands on. (Yes, I like the more expensive stuff, but it's not always better, especially when you know something is going to be abused to no end, like a baby blanket...)

I think each has is strength. Crocet lace 90% of the time looks better to me, and that's from before I knew the craft... Cables and a lot of wearables work better in knit. Knit afghans are OK, but it seems like there are just soooo many more options with crochet.

As far as the buying/ wanting free patterns, well.... I guess it just feeds the 'upper class' vs. 'lower class' image...

Ok... I'll stop rambling now....

Just my humble 2 cents. I've been crocheting for nearly 30 years, and I have to say that up until about 2 or 3 maybe 4 years ago, decent crochet patterns (most especially wearables) were just not to be had. Afghans, doilies and such, no problems. Tea cozies and toilet paper covers, gotcha covered. tons of good patterns. I think that is the reason that crochet books have not been selling as well as the knit books in the past, they were publishing stuff that nobody wanted. Finally (!), we have some wonderful, creative, inovative crochet designers out there now, who are supplying crocheters with good patterns that are hip, up to date, stylish, and stuff we'd ACTUALLY wear. I forsee that the sales of crochet pattern books will increase with time, as long as these fabo designers keep cranking out patterns we crave. but it won't happen over night. On the other hand, more than once, I've seen some one take an old pattern, update it with a trendy new yarn, and it becomes a whole 'nuther project. Which I think, also says something on the plus side about the yarns that are now available to us, that weren't say in the 60's and 70's. The industry as a whole, I think, is improving all around.

as for the age old, on going fued as to which is better. It's kinda like soda. Some people are Pepper's, some prefer Pepsi, and still others will swear on their dying breath that Coke is the "real thing". All three taste good, but I prefer a Pepper thanks. :) What a boring world if we all thought the same way. I say "rock on!" with whatever your craft. And be the best at it!! :hook

After posting this, I read the article from the link posted by Samantha. Very good article!!! Thanks for posting that.

I'm a knitter & a crocheter - I love them both equally (OK, so maybe love isn't strong enough - I have this yarn addiction thing going), although lately I've done more knitting (crocheting hurts my wrist when I do it for a few hours). I gave up on the big box stores like Joanne's, AC Moore & Michaels. They never ever had what I wanted, the yarn was always the same & very few employees were knowledgeable about crocheting and knitting. While I realize that some people don't have the luxury of a LYS that's closeby, if you've got one, use it. Many times, the store is happy to help & may even provide a free pattern with purchase. I've got 3 LYS within a 30 mile radius of me & they all carry a GREAT selection of crochet patterns as well as hooks, case & other notions. 2 of the LYS offer crochet classes as well. The knitting snobbery that so many of us crocheters experienced in the past is disappearing, at least in my area.

The other great resource is the good old Knit - Crochet IN (AKA Stitch & B*tch). I attend 2 locally and they both not only embrace crocheters, they desperately want us to attend. There are a lot of knitters who can only crochet enough to edge something & like us, are always anxious to learn something new. At the last one that I went to, one of the women attending brought in a pattern book from the 30's that had an amazing KIMONO pattern- made in size 10 cotton as near as I could tell. She's lending it around the group - you'll never find THAT in AC Moore, that's for sure.

Local libraries often have SnB's - if yours doesn't offer one I'd talk to them about starting one. There's always Meetup.com as well. Of course, there's lots of free patterns online, too.

Finally, for those who may not know, Ravelry has pointed me in the right direction for a LOT Of patterns I never knew existed. It's still not open to everyone but it will be soon. If you haven't signed up yet, I'd highly recommend it.

Archived