Bamboo hooks

I'm thinking about buying a set of bamboo hooks off Ebay. Do you like using them? Any tips on using them? Do they break easily? Opinions, please.

I love love love my bamboo hooks. Never broke one, BUT keep away from pets...I did have one nibbled by a cat. Luckily it was the handle not the hook end, but it was a good excuse to get another hook.

I hold my hooks firmly and crochet pretty tight. I was always afraid of snapping one of the hooks in two. So, I didn't care for them, although I adore bamboo knitting needles.

You convinced me. I bid on the hooks. If I win the auction, I may have to wait awhile before I get them, though. They're in Canada and I live in SC. It says they may take up to 4 weeks to arrive. The auction ends tonight and so far I'm the only bidder.

:eek WOW! It didn't take much to convince you!

I have one in the size I use most frequently. Its VERY light, and seems to be very sturdy. I like the general "wood"like feel, but I do have one complaint to offer. I'm accustomed to working with like Boye hooks and they have a "flat" spot in the middle. I didn't realize until I bought the perfectly round bamboo, that that flat spot helped my hand guide the hook in whatever direction I needed to twist it for my insert of Yarn over. I found the hook spinning in circles in my hand. I was thinking about cutting a little notch in the hook so that my fingers know what direction the actual hook is facing.

I think you'll like it overall.

I was most of the way there about bidding on them so it only took a little nudge. (grin)

I'm thinking about trying my hand at whittling hooks. We have woods on our property and all kinds of trees in it. Is cedar a good wood for hooks? I need to find out more about it and not sure where to look.

I love my bamboo hooks and I got mine off of eBay from Canada. The ones I have do have a thumb rest in the big sizes. My cat also likes to chew my hooks. In fact I went back and got another set and I only use my bamboo crochet hooks. I normally use H and up so I have never had a problem with them breaking. Where my cat had chewed I just used an emery board and smoothed it out.

Oddly, I hated bamboo knitting needles but then I really don't like knitting either.

Rachel

I bought a set of bamboo hooks of ebay, but mine came from China. They were a bit rough, so I smoothed them out and they're fine. Although the smaller ones always feel like they're going to break.

hubby made me a cadar hook. It is a bit softer than woods like ash or oak but it works well. He made mine larger jsut because it is a softer one.

Thankyou for posting the url. I just read the whole thing and wish I could go out to the woods now but a big storm blew threw and the woods are soaking wet. Maybe everything will dry up tomorrow. I'm definitely going to try making one. It sounds like a lot of fun and something to be proud of. I love the way he writes the directions.

Hugs,

Sue

Thankyou for posting the url. I just read the whole thing and wish I could go out to the woods now but a big storm blew threw and the woods are soaking wet. Maybe everything will dry up tomorrow. I'm definitely going to try making one. It sounds like a lot of fun and something to be proud of. I love the way he writes the directions.

Hugs,

Sue

He's one of a kind, that's for sure! I really enjoy his blog posts - his mom, Vern the cement mixer, the ongoing progress on the cabin - such beautiful country - and of course those wonderful hooks.

My son wants to make me a crochet hook so he started whacking at a piece of wood - then I showed him the tutorial site and now he's REALLY SERIOUS!:lol ... somehow I don't think Jimbo needs to start worrying quite yet about the competition;)

I got my bamboo hooks off ebay too, from China. At first I was not crazy about them...but I have become quite fond of them. I do like how they warm up in your hand. Mine do have a flat peice for the thumb. Hope you enjoy yours once you finally get them!

Archived