Thread CAL

jingles96

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna -

I love your bookmarks! Personally I haven't see that color of thread before! :wow Really nice! I'm thinking about making a Easter bookmark too from one of the books I have because I can't find a nice free Easter doily pattern...

To all -

This CAL is getting so exciting! More people and more projects! :)h

Here is my latest project. :))

th_021405pinafore.jpg

The details is on my blog. :wink

Anna--beautiful bookmarks! I have a question for you--I made that one on the bottom a few months ago (I think, anyway, it looks just like it), and mine was really scrunchy/puffy on the ends before blocking (it was fine afterward, though). Was yours like that, too, or am I just weird? :P

Lanette--hope you get a picture to post soon! That sounds gorgeous!

(Edited, because Chie posted while I was typing up my post) Chie, that is so cute!

Julie--Thanks for the starching/stiffening advice! I've never starched anything other than using spray starch on bookmarks, so I'm a little nervous. One thing, though--it's actually the shawl I'm making that has the beads, not one of the bookmarks, so it needs to be stiffened enough to hold its shape but still be able to drape. Would glue still work for that if it's diluted enough (the pattern says "starch lightly"), or should I go with diluted liquid starch?

I should be able to come up with a swatch of the mesh pattern to test with pretty quickly. Especially if I leave the beads out of the equation, though I probably ought to put a few on there just to see what happens with them...

I saw that Celtic bookmark again yesterday when I was looking around for patterns and I decided it was too complicated for me.

It's probably too complicated for me, too :lol but I can't bring myself to give up on it. It's so pretty that I'm determined to finish it eventually. (It probably doesn't help that it's the first time I've ever used #30 thread.)

I've been project-hopping a lot the past few days and starting things at random--I started this pineapple square that I found in the Harmony 330 Crochet Stitches book. Mostly I started it because I couldn't figure out that pineapple-that-turned-into-a-mushroom bookmark. I think it'll come out nice, but I haven't gotten to the part of the pineapples where I screwed up the bookmark, so we'll see...

Would glue still work for that if it's diluted enough (the pattern says "starch lightly") , or should I go with diluted liquid starch?

I've not ever used the liquid starch, unfortunately I can't answer. You used the S word, swatch. I'd swatch like crazy and try it both ways to see which you like better. With the beads, absolutely! That way you know you're working with the best solution and your preference, too.

I do think the glue would be the easiest to remove from the beads, without affecting the amount saturating the thread at all. :thinking1

Anna, I love that varigated thread you used for the bookmarks! Lovely color combo! Probably not thread available here in the states though?

Chie-- another great project! what an adorable little dress for your dishsoap.

~ DAWN

Stacey -

The only weird thing about the edging for the bottom bookmark was trying to figure out what the pattern designer wanted me to do - she formulated it oddly. It's a simple dc cluster (keep the last loop on the hook for the first dc and then pull through all loops on hook on the second) though. I didn't block it at all.

Dawn - thanks. I actually found this thread in my Grandmother's house when we were going through it all last March (she passed away). I thought it could be used for crochet. Now of course I KNOW it's crochet thread. She had about 16 little balls of various colors all in a box with a $4 tag inside. She loved freebies and holding yard sales, so who knows if she actually ever used it or not. These balls of thread are what inspired me to start playing with doilies and bookmarks.

Anyway, it's Anchor brand, size 8. I have seen this brand in the store here in Germany, but like I said, I actually found it in my Grandma's house in Michigan last year.

DawnsRays says:

Evelyn, that is a beautiful doily! You didn't write down the pattern!:eek2 That would be a great one for the original patterns page! Think about it....

~ DAWN

-----------------------

jingles 96 says:

Lovely Evelyn!

Anna

Wow has everyone been busy!!!!! Everybodies projects are really FANTASTIC :cheer2

I finished my doily now I have to block it (hopefully this weekend.) I have 12 sqaures attatched on my tablecloth 5 more squares and 1 panel will be done :clap

Hugs & Happy crocheting,

Michele

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms; color:navy;">Anna - The two bookmarks are very pretty. I am thinking I need to get me some verigated thread. I love that color and have never seen it in any of the stores I frequent. Could I ask you where you purchased it?</span>

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms; color:navy;">I am so behind in reading this thread. I finally have some time to look at all the posted pictures of finished projects. I still have not had a chance to start on my 2nd doily but it will come soon.

I do have a couple of questions for you ladies.

1. Where do you buy your thread? I am seeing some beautiful colors that I have not seen at any stores near me.

2. Is it hard to make a pineapple doily? I never thought I liked them but seeing all the ones that are being made for this CAL I realize how gorgeous they are and think I may be making one in my future.</span>

1. Where do you buy your thread? I am seeing some beautiful colors that I have not seen at any stores near me. I buy mine at Wal-Mart and Michaels, mainly because they are closest. Joanns etc. has a really good selection too!

2. Is it hard to make a pineapple doily? I never thought I liked them but seeing all the ones that are being made for this CAL I realize how gorgeous they are and think I may be making one in my future. No, I think it's really easy to make pineapples. Try one out, you'll be really excited with the results. :danc

I buy my thread either Walmart or Hobby Lobby usually. The Walmart near me doesn't have a great color selection except in Southmaid which I've heard doesn't hold up well (?) so I haven't tried that brand. But it's great for getting basic colors. Hobby Lobby I get to once a month or so when I go to the city, and they've got tons of colors of DMC Cebelia as well as the basics.

Pineapples--I'm working on a pineapple square right now, and it's coming along pretty well. But I tried a pineapple bookmark recently and it became a mushroom bookmark, which I frogged. The one I did was this one: www.crochetcrafts.net/Amy...okmark.pdf (pdf file). I think I was misreading the pattern because it got all wide and mushroomy instead of looking like the picture. The square I'm doing is much easier, but I'm going to try the bookmark again and try to figure out what I did wrong.

[eek! edited to change the link to the off-color t-shirt site to the link to the pineapple bookmark. oops, sorry!]

I am writing the pattern for my doily it will be a few days before it is done, as I have to make another one so I can write the pattern, then I will have to make sure it is going to work , so some one else can understand it.

SHOULD HAVE TAKEN NOTES!!

It will be called [ Evelyns Pineapple Star Doily]

BUEvelyn.gif

coollogo_com_258602980.gif

Here's what I managed to accomplish yesterday - my little girl loves it!

th_barrette.jpg

It's the Ballerina Barrette from the Feb '05 issue of Annie's Favorite Crochet done in Royale size 10 thread and a size 8 steel hook - the small flowers are sewn on at the end and the barrette is attached to the back. I made it for her to wear to ballet class and also for her recital in June.

Mitzi

Archived