Thread CAL

jingles96

I've been away for a bit, I don't know where the time went, but I'm glad to see you all still here alive and well! :lol

I wanted to give an update on my thread projects...

So far I have completed two crosses and I just had to start the hearts doily that Chie made. I posted pics on my blog if anyone wants to check them out. http://aftergodsownheart.com/crafts/crochet/2005/03/cal-update-thread-crochet-along.html I'm not very good at stiffening and blocking....you can tell by looking at my cross....but I'm learning and hope to get it down really soon.

My hand cramps really bad with the little tiny steel hooks but I'm addicted to crocheting with thread now. I discovered hooks that someone made for me using polymer clay. She just sent me a few, so I didn't have a full set. I just made me a set of my own and I made two extra with the steel hooks. I posted a pic of these hooks on my blog as well. http://aftergodsownheart.com/crafts/crochet/2005/03/crochet-hooks.html I found that the polymer handles help keep the thread from sliding too far of the hook as well.

That's about it for me. It's late and I'll just have to post more tomorrow. Nite, nite everyone!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Julie. That does help. I still cannot decide which one to do though.

Stefani (who is so happy she found everyone again)

Here are a few, you may have seen them before:

Buffet Blossoms

Oval Elegance

Oval Pineapple with and without ruffle

Oval Ruffled

Those are free, there are more that come up when I did a google search for 'oval doily crochet patterns'. I've found quite a few in books and on pay sites online, gosh there are some gorgeous ones in some of the books.

Hope this helps! :fc

I need tips for crocheting looser - this one was to be 7½ inches and is only 5½ inches across.

Julie, I tried something last night on a smallish doily to see how it would work. I'll know for sure tonight if it made a difference when I do the last three rounds and block, but when I checked gauge after 4 rounds, I was dead on [!]. :clap

I did not use a larger hook, I used a hook I am comfortable with using with #10 (a Bates 6, which I believe is 1.6mm). I used a trick that I use with yarn that I had not tried with thread because I remember reading that it was "wrong" to work with thread this way -- when I put loops on the hook, I actually pushed them down a little into the thicker part of the hook (not too far down, I have one of those blue cushions on it).

Looking at Noel's image of where to work on the steel hook, I think I was working mostly in the orange area (normally I work in the green+yellow but end up with super tight stitches) with a little dip into the start of the red. It opened up the loops enough so that the stitches were looser without making it look "messy."

It really helped with my chain to do that, though I still think a very tightly crocheted chain looks so much better.

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet or if, like me, you didn't want to because it is "wrong." Heh. I'm pretty sure it works for me, though. I should know for sure later tonight -- I don't think my gauge changed much if at all while I was working on it, so I think the fact that I hit gauge after the first four rounds is a good thing!

I have never participated in a CAL. In fact I did not know they existed untill about three days ago when I stumbled across Crochetville. I would like to participate in the thread CAL.

I have so much thread from my MIL. I wonder what I will make........

...when I checked gauge after 4 rounds, I was dead on [!]. :clap

Looking at Noel's image of where to work on the steel hook, I think I was working mostly in the orange area (normally I work in the green+yellow but end up with super tight stitches) with a little dip into the start of the red. It opened up the loops enough so that the stitches were looser without making it look "messy."

It really helped with my chain to do that, though I still think a very tightly crocheted chain looks so much better.

I'm not sure if you've tried this yet or if, like me, you didn't want to because it is "wrong."

This is really interesting! I work in the green section of the hook almost entirely. I have been making a conscious effort lately to work higher on the hook (the orange section) as you mention here. I'll keep it up.

By the way, I started another doily tonight, just a little one (it only has 9 rounds). I'm dead on too - but I'm using a size 3 hook and shooting for the orange as much as I can. It's a start! :D

Finished and blocked and guess who finally hit gauge??! :woo

It was supposed to be 6.25" diameter, and it is. I probably could get another .25" out of it by re-blocking it, but we'll see. I do want to re-block it because frankly, this is my worst blocking job ever. :ha

[click on thumbnails to go to the larger image in my gallery.]

DSC_1534.thumb.jpg

dsc_1527_www.thumb.jpg

This was a test of the emergency finding gauge system. beeeeep!

Update on my tablecloth ...... 55 out of 204 motifs done

Ohh, Michele, you're getting there! :clap

[and I can't wait to see it! :) ]

• 2 weeks later...

it's been ages since i've reported in.....

i made a leg for mr. speckles yesterday... although... i'm re-doing it. it just seems off to me.... so, if this second one is off, i guess i didn't goof and he'll have both legs :P

if it looks better than the first, i'll make the second and start stuffing :clap

• 2 weeks later...
it's been ages since i've reported in.....

i made a leg for mr. speckles yesterday... although... i'm re-doing it. it just seems off to me.... so, if this second one is off, i guess i didn't goof and he'll have both legs :P

if it looks better than the first, i'll make the second and start stuffing :clap

:eek Well for sure you do not want Mr. Speckles to have an off leg. LOL! I hope to see the completed Mr. Speckles (off legs or not) soon.

Stefani

www.dreamsofnyssa.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

Rebecca, that kerchief came out gorgeous!

I haven't worked in thread in a while since I was trying to get an afghan finished, but soon I'll be going back to my many unfinished thread projects :haha I *still* haven't found the beads to attach the tassels to the beaded shawl, though. I think I'm going to have to improvise some other way to attach them...it's all done apart from that and it's driving me nuts that I can't find these beads anywhere!

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to be in on the thread crochet. I have tons of doilie patterns and am currently looking for some great tablecloth patterns. Let me know and I can post some of the patterns for you.

:bounce

Hi Everyone! :wave s

If you've been following along in the Thread topic, you know this has been coming, for everybody else, welcome to the party! I've started our first Thread CAL! :bad :cheer2 :clap:bounce

I've set up a blog for it at www.jinglelady.us/crochet/ and a gallery to show off our WIPs here.

I'm all excited to 1) be the host and 2) see what all we come up with.

Oh, so I should tell you what our project is....anything thread! A bookmark, a doilie, a table runner, thread poncho, whatever ( a whole bunch of patterns can be found

here, just look under doily or bookmarks). Since so many of us are new to thread, we thought it would be best to leave the field open.

So, grab a small hook, pick up some thread, and join in the fun! If you're participating, just leave a comment on the blog or email me directly at crochet*DIE*SPAM*DIE* @ jinglelady.us with your website address and I'll link to you from the blog. :hug

I think I've covered everything. Right? :fc

Oh, you know to remove the *DIE*SPAM*DIE* from the email address above, right? :frog

Looking forward to crocheting with all of you fine ladies (and gents). :grouphug

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally finished a couple of things (both are clickable for full-size version)...

I'm reasonably happy with this bookmark. (Despite the weird nubbly bit on one side. Am I the only one that ends up with weird nubbly bits on thread projects?)

bkmark_flower.jpg

I am not really happy with this doily, though. It's my first doily, and I had a hard time blocking it. I think most of the issues are with how I blocked it (I made a few mistakes in it, but they were pretty minor things). I thought I had all the foldy bits folded right, but I guess I didn't. (Also I wasn't sure at all how to block the flowers.) I think I'm going to wash the starch out and try blocking it again...

doily_flower.jpg

So I'm going to upload the bookmark photo to the CAL gallery but not the doily, not unless I can get it to look better by reblocking it...

I'm working on this now: (warning, pdf file) Prairie star doily Seems to be coming out okay so far...

Stacey -

Oooh, I LOVE your bookmark and doily. Those colors are nice too!

You did a GREAT job on your doily!

Chatty -

I know this crochetalong is open for anyone who loves thread crochet anytime! :)

Can't wait to see your work. :)

I am Sorry I haven't posted here in awhile but real life has been pretty hectic

I started working on my tablecloth again and I m halfway finished .... I had to put some dynamite up my but because Christopher & Yumi are getting married August 21 and I want the tablecloth done so I can ship it off to Japan LOL

Chatty - yes, this CAL is open to anybody. If you email/pm me your email address, I'll make a user for you in the Gallery.

I'm going to be very busy the next couple of weeks - last minute Europe trips before leaving Germany on July 6th to move back to the States - so I won't be so active on the board, or as quick to answer emails. BUT, I'm still working until the 24th, so I'll answer emails until then. :)

Not a problem.

chattybox at gmail dot com

I actually have a few other thread things I've finished in the last couple of months.

That's some beautiful stuff in the gallery, hope my stuff turns out as nice :yay

:frog

Thanks, Chie :)

Still haven't re-blocked that doily--this is an 80-hour week for me at work [insert giant yawn here], but I plan to. Those foldy bits are bugging me because a couple are folded all wrong.

The prairie star doily I'm working on is thisclose to being done, but I got to the end of round 24 (of 27) and realized I've made a mistake somewhere since there are supposed to be an even number of repeats in that round and I ended up with an odd number :eek Not sure where I went wrong, so I think I need to stare at it for a while before I start frogging so I know how far back to go...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived