Thread CAL

jingles96

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lanette, your daughter is so cute! The poncho and headband are beautiful :))

I have the beaded shawl all stitched up, just need to starch and block it tonight and then do the tassels :bounce It is, in theory, supposed to be done by tomorrow when we go to visit Sara (my stepdaughter--her birthday was a couple of days ago), but it just ain't gonna happen, so I'll have to save it for next time we see her. (She's away at college, but it's only about an hour to an hour and a half away so we manage to see her about once a month or so.)

And I'm making this wall hanging thing out of four pineapple squares to go inside the door of this glass cabinet we have. The door is backed with pretty wrapping paper so as to hide the clutter :) and the top half has got a beautiful embroidered piece that Sara made hanging inside it, but the bottom is crying out for something to decorate it, so I'm giving this a try. I have two of the four squares done, and my plan to join them in middle of the v-stitches in the last round is actually working! Yay!

Hi Anna! I left a message on your blog....I've decided to join my first CAL. I've been working with nothing but thread anyway. Learned to crochet using thread as well. I'm trying to finish a variegated thread halter and skirt for my best friend's daughter whose birthday is this Saturday. Will post a picture soon as it's finished. Also, I'm halfway through with my SIL's poncho using Sutty's flower st. with lattice also in variegated thread but this time in blue. :))

jackie

Hi Jackie - sorry I haven't responded. Welcome to the Thread CAL! :)h

I need to make you and another person a Gallery username, I'll do that within the next couple of days.

Welcome!

I just viewed your completed projects there are so many wonderful projects there. Some of them I would like to try myself. I have just started doing thread work, and really enjoy it. I just :)h want you have done.

Hugs,

Linda

Help!

I need tips for crocheting looser - this one was to be 7½ inches and is only 5½ inches across. This is after going up two hook sizes because I know I crochet tightly. Any suggestions?

th_doily6.jpg

Further details at

my blog.

Julie, I am going to be looking to see what people say because I have the same problem!

Even if it is smaller than expected, that looks gorgeous! :)h

I started working on a doily today and checked my gauge against the pattern. After three rounds, it was supposed to be 1.75" across. Mine? 1.25" across. This is after I went up two hook sizes and actively spent those three rounds trying to crochet more loosely... only to feel like what I did accomplish looked icky. :(

Just commiserating! G'luck!

-jess

Jess, by my standards that's pretty darn good!

Mine was to be 3¼ inches after five rounds. I was lucky to hit 2 inches at that point. :oops

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms; color:navy;">Sorry Julie. I have no idea on how to make it looser. It will be interesting to see what others suggest.

On another note.......is there such a thing as an oval doily? And if so where can I find a pattern?

Thanks,</span>

Stefani - I saw you posted about an oval doily earlier... it's been in the back of my mind to hunt a link for you, I know I've seen some. Let me hunt in the morning, it's late here but I'll definitely track some down for you tomorrow. I love a good doily hunt. :hyper

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms; color:navy;">Oh Thank you! Thank you! I have been looking but so far have only found a couple. I want to make this for the top of my jewlery chest and since it has a square top and round doily is not going to cut it.

Thanks again.</span>

Here are a few, you may have seen them before:

Buffet Blossoms

Oval Elegance

Oval Pineapple with and without ruffle

Oval Ruffled

Those are free, there are more that come up when I did a google search for 'oval doily crochet patterns'. I've found quite a few in books and on pay sites online, gosh there are some gorgeous ones in some of the books.

Hope this helps! :fc

I can add them for you for the time being Jackie, until Anna gets an account set up for you. Give me just a few minutes and they will be up there. :D!

Julie, I have the same trouble with thread. With yarn I crochet pretty tightly & usually have to go up about two hook sizes, but with thread it seems even more pronounced. I haven't found any way around it but to use a bigger hook, though, since trying to crochet looser doesn't seem to produce very good results for me (also it's very slow that way & I tend to tighten up again without meaning to). I always start out 2 sizes bigger than what the pattern calls for, but sometimes have to go up more. The beaded shawl called for a #8 hook, and I could only get the gauge right with a #4. If I'd used the #8 I would've made a baby shawl :lol

I wonder if using size 8 thread instead of size 10 might help? I haven't tried it, though...

Thank you sooo much Julie!

Sigh - work has been crazy lately and while I had time this weekend - I was too busy just relaxing and putzing around the house. Oh, and crocheting. :) I totally forgot. Let me go do the account now while I'm thinking about it.

I apologize everybody. Work has been crazy the last couple of weeks and when I'm not working, I'm trying recover and de-stress from it. Tonight was another perfect example - 30 mins before "closing" time we got a panicy email from the customer. We spent 2 hours just looking at the data and trying to figure out what the problem was. Another hour of coming up with a fix for it and another two hours babysitting the fix - I left work at 12:30am (it's 3am now). :blah ARGH.

So, I've just sent jaclim her new username and LanetteG a reminder of her username. Could those of you who are (patiently) waiting for me to create a Gallery username let me know? Either sent me an ezinbox mail or an email at crochet [at] jinglelady.us. Thanks for putting up with me.:blush

Anna: don't worry about it! we've all had days/weeks/months like that! I can certainly relate (especially with where my current job is and customers changing their minds and me having to redesign database structures and all kinds of fun stuff).

Thank you for doing everything you do for the CAL! :D!

-jess

Archived