Magic Square Potholder

craftymomof4

Question

Does anyone know where I can find the free pattern for the magic square potholder? I used to make so many of these that I knew the pattern by heart. Now I would like to make a few and can't find my old pattern. I went to Martha's StarGazer site, but when I click on the link, it comes up as "page not found". :(

20 answers to this question

I keep forgetting to work only in the back loops and it still works! Makes it even thicker!

"Just because my lips aren't moving doesn't mean I'm not counting shh!"

I've used acrylic for hot pads, and I've never had one melt but they get a little "ironed looking". They protect the table just fine (double thickness of course) I think they are to slippery for potholders, maybe that's just me. I suppose if you touched one to the side of the oven or the heating element they'd melt.

I really like this pattern and I am going to try it! I think the suggestion to make it in stripes is really cool! Since you fold in up, you could put inside of it some heat resistant material of some sort to make it extra safe from hot pots. I plan on putting a ring on mine. :manyheart

Does anyone know where I can find the free pattern for the magic square potholder? I used to make so many of these that I knew the pattern by heart. Now I would like to make a few and can't find my old pattern. I went to Martha's StarGazer site, but when I click on the link, it comes up as "page not found". :(

I had the same problem, so I emailed her, and this is the link she sent me. She has been having some problems with the old site, so she is moving it. Here are the links she sent:

http://marthac.info/index.html, and http://marthac.info/links.html. Hope this helps you.

Sharon

I went to my "group" last night and thought that I had forgotten my hooks(I found out I hadn't when I returned home) anyway I had a D hook in my yarn holder so I decided to work up one of those potholders just to see how it would come out. It came out small! So now I am making three more and plan to sew them all together. I have also thought that these sewed together would make a wonderful rug especially if worked in cotton!

I "invented" (discovered) this same style of making potholders when I was in the 8th grade. I didn't know how to follow patterns and had no one to show me any! I just played until I found something I liked to do. The only difference is that I didn't finished off the seam on the diagonal. Instead, I simply stitched it closed across the top.

This is the BEST potholder pattern possible, crochet, knit, sewing, anything. It's more heat resistant than my commerically-bought potholders (which I'll never buy again, but sometimes I get them as gifts). They're comfortable to use, I have never burned myself using one, and I've been making them since I was 13! I just made up a new set for my kitchen. They're quick and mindless. Perfect for movie-watching.

~ Joy

Do you add a layer of the heat barrier fabric that fabric stores have to enhance it's resistance to heat getting through so it doesnt get too hot?

Thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

:no I never did when making them and mostly used them for putting under a pot on the table and not so much for grabbing a pan out of the oven.

Do you add a layer of the heat barrier fabric that fabric stores have to enhance it's resistance to heat getting through so it doesnt get too hot?

Thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

I love that potholder pattern. :manyheart It is even more amazing and mysterious when you do it in stripes!! That makes the mystery of it even more wonderful. My great aunt used to make these many moons ago and my sister actually took one apart to figure out how it was made :think (just so it didn't drive her completely crazy!) This was way back before the internet was there to find these cool things. Thanks for bringing back the memories for me :hug

Archived