i guess you could call it a gadget

I dont remember where I saw it but I saw somewhere that you can use ziploc bags and cut the corner off and put the yarn through it, that way the skein stays clean while you are using it (and the little hands of my 2 year old and 6 month old cant untangle it) and in the event of a tangle you can easily open the bag to untangle it.

a one gallong bag nicely holds a 7oz. skein of yarn.

That is a good idea. I've been keeping mine in a backpack with the yarn coming out of a litlle gap left unzipped. I have young kids that love carrying off my yarn while I'm working with it.

Thank you so much! I have the same problem with my little people and end up having to stop and make balls when I'm at about a half a skein. I also take it in and outside alot and it gets pretty messed up moving it around and shoving it on the highest shelf possible. Gotta love those little people! :P

You know I have a few yarntainers...and last week I realized. Here I sit yelling at my dog, for sitting on my 2 skeins of yarn I was working, that were laying on the loveseat next to me....this entire project (a mighty large afghan) I didn't use my yarntainers.:think the dog has sat on, runn of with and pushed around my yarn, the entire project.:P ...a trip to the dryer will take care of any little dog hair remnants....so I guess its all good.:yes

What a great idea! I've used:

• the plastic shopping bags with the handles tied together and the yarn coming out a space left for that purpose
  • 2 liter plastic soda or juice containers with the bottom cut off (had to put them in plastic bags to keep them in, though
  • a small cardboard box with a hole cut in the end for the yarn to exit
  • a 6-position yarn holder (from Michaels - with a 40% off coupon!)

what a cheap and handy idea! i will keep this in mind as my yarn gets dirty easy

Great idea. Thanks for sharing this. I have a cat who gawks at me while I crochet, just literally stares at me for hours watching the string go by. Crazy cat. It sounds easier than rolling each skein into a ball before starting on a project.

Jennifer

Get the larger bags (2 gallon, I think) that you can put your pattern (magazine) in with it to keep everything together. If your like me that has several projects going at once, you can keep each project in a separate bag. If you print out patterns keep each one in a plastic sleeve that you can keep in a notebook until you're using it. Then when you want to use it, put it in the Ziploc bag with your project. For the extra large projects like an afghan, they make extra large plastic bags that can be found in the grocery isle by the sandwich bags. Using these methods, I'm finally getting my projects sorted out and getting a lot more done. Before things kept getting separated from each other and I wouldn't remember what the project was.

Archived