One project at a time, or a whole bunch?

How many projects do you work on at once?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. How many projects do you work on at once?

• One at a time - don't rush me!
    • Two or three at a time, but I will finish them all!
    • I like many irons in the fire, but I get them done eventually.
    • I like to start a lot of projects, but somehow they never get finished!

I have WAY too many projects going. Some of them are just started and some are almost finished (like the blanket for my bed which just needs some ends sewn in). Most of my projects get done sooner or later, but I think there are one or two that will never get done.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...currently I have one afghan (started 2yrs ago for a present) two projects that I can't remember what they are supposed to be (need to frog them) I frogged one afghan because I couldn't find the pattern I was using then I started over and did a rectangular granny, I COMPLETED IT. I think the only in the works Crochet right now is ping ping penguin for Kristie MN's toy drive. Everything is made except the feet.

I like many irons in the fire, but I get them done eventually.

If the projects aren't small and don't work up quick I have a tendency to get a form of ADD. I get so bored and eventually will put the project down, so now I just keep multiple things going so I always have something that isn't like the others and eventually I will get them all done.

I prefer to focus on one project at a time for 2 reasons. The 1st is so that my tension and stitch gauge remains more consistent and even. The 2nd is that I never know when I'm going to have a shoulder problem as I do right now which will delay my finishing my current project....only have one more round to go to complete the hot pad I'm crocheting for DD, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete it to go with the dishcloth and dish towel I've made to go with it. Can't raise my arm or lift anything heavier than a crochet hook so no lifting, pushing, pulling, stretching, twisting or turning for a while.

Beverly

I used to do only one project at a time. Within the last year or so I've started to develop wider interests and have probably 5 or 6 projects in progress now. I do finish them all, and having several to work on makes it easier to keep my interest.

I started off in my new place with a single project, a baby blanket. Because it wasn't going fast enough I picked up a second project, but that one got a little complicated 'cause the halter top needed to be frogged as I couldn't read the directions correctly. (**** depression!) So I picked up yet another project after a therapy buy of sock yarn from eBay.

And then my mom noticed my plastic bag stash and reminded me I need to do something with it so Im currently turning it into plarn...

The best intentions of sticking to one project at a time has gone seriously awry.

I said 2 or 3 at a time, but I will finish them. That is my usual. However, I have had projects that sit and sit -- then I realize I am not finishing it for a reason, like I don't like it. Then I toss it or unravel it. I try not to let things nag me.

I have to have a small project that I can drag around with me, a huge project for by the TV, and a third project to keep me from getting bored and because I have no self control!

I used to do just one at a time, but right now I'm working on a round ripple afghan at home and a scarf at work during my lunch breaks. The afghan was just to big and bulky to lug around with me back and forth to work.

At the beginning of the year I had all of my projects caught up, and I had every intention of finishing projects as I started them, but with the very first project, which was the Cathedral Rose Window afghan, that plan went right out the window! I SAW it go out the window, I watched it with my own eyes as it flapped past me and zoomed out over the horse pasture. :lol

I actually had to commit to making my husband's Sunday Best sweater in the Crochet Greek Games because otherwise it would NEVER end up getting done! I have started it and frogged it twice in the last year, and figure that if I'm under the gun, maybe I will FINALLY get it done.

Right now, I have an American Flag afghan underway that I could finish (except for the stars) in about another two nights, but then there's the Purse/Tote swap that I am involved in. I started the tote last night, and then found out that the birthday party that I am invited to for my friend's adult daughter is THIS COMING SATURDAY, so now I have to put down the tote so that I can get her Shawler done by Saturday. At least that's a do-able project in that time frame, I HATE giving IOUs as gifts because I didn't have time to finish the gift. So as soon as I can tear myself away from Crochetville this evening I will spend the rest of the night working on the Shawler that I need for Saturday, and hopefully whatever I don't finish tonight I can knock off tomorrow night while I'm at work. Then it's back to the tote bag for the swap, and when THAT'S finished, hopefully I will have a few days before the Greek Games start to finish the American Flag afghan. Then, when the Greek Games start I can finish the sweater for DH, and then I can start my holiday crocheting. At the beginning of September I will order all the yarn I need for my Christmas gifts, and then spend the three fall months crocheting Christmas and holiday gifts. THEN, maybe by the beginning of 2009, I will have the time to finish the Cathedral Rose Window afghan.

I really don't expect any of the above to happen, other than the Shawler for next weekend and the tote bag for the swap. The rest of it is, well, let's just say the Italians have a saying - Si non e vero, e ben trovato - which means "even if it's not true, it's still a nice story". It's nice to at least THINK that I have a game plan, even if it's doomed from the start! :lol

• 3 months later...

Basically just one. I have been keeping a fairly complex thread project going for home and times in the car when I think I can do it. If, however, I will be with a group of people and trying to visit I grab up a no-brainer knitted garter stitch dishcloth to keep my hands busy. Does this count as more than one project, since the dishcloth sits in my project bag for weeks at a time until I have a specific need for that kind of work? Mainly I just do my crochet.

I've lost my mind and have 4 things going right now. I'm almost done with my Peppermint Stick afghan, so I added two more things. One of them is a charity project. My SnB group is making an afghan for a local senior center -- we're all knitting one strip.

I always have about 5-8 projects going. I have a lot of charity items as well as gifts for my children, nieces, nephews, parents, grandmother, etc. Small items are nice to take when going in the car (hubby drives most of the time so I can crochet away). I tend to get bored easily so like to switch between the projects that don't have a deadline. However, if a project has a deadline then I get it finished quickly and then get back to other projects. I have all my projects lined up as to what needs to get done for Christmas so will start making headway on those. Then I would like to start incorporating projects for myself. Only thing I've made for myself all these years is some knitted socks (which I love dearly).

I have several things going—each one is a different pattern. So, when I get tired of one pattern/stitch, I can switch to another one. I am doing a 2 baby blankets (one in yellow using the brushy stitch, one in pink that will be a big granny square), an afghan (sunrise colors in the 5 1/2 throw pattern), potholders, and dress towel toppers.

I can't imagine not having different things going . . .

I put two or three, even though i have about 4 right now. One is my usual take-anywhere dishcloth, the other the prayer shawl, another knitted baby blanket for charity, and a 3 strand Q hook that i MIGHT actually GET finished before the baby shower.

Archived