63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Oh, I'm glad that RatioAnn asked about joining this CAL. I want to do the 63 squares too, especially now that I've seen what a difference doing it in one can make. That looks great, Sue!!!

Is there still a "join" option for this? The link didn't work.

I've started some other projects since I picked up a crochet hook 3 weeks ago. Can't wait to finish SOMETHING!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I really should finish some other stuff first,... but it's too late I went & got the 63 square pattern book at Joannes, 40% off even. I couldn't decide on the yarn, so I'm going to just think about it some more tonight & buy it on my way to work tomorrow. I'm thinking I want just one or two colors. Maybe a light and dark of the same color. I hate making decisions.

Since this CAL was started 3 years ago, I guess the original group has moved on and the links to join are now broken. I love how the CAL continues on regardless. Since this project is so time-consuming it's understandable that the CAL would go on for so long, picking up new members along the way.

It's just a shame that we are kind of "unofficial" now and that our photos aren't part of the gallery which hasn't been updated since 2005. I've been looking through the past 50 pages or so of this thread plus the archived "63 Wannabe Club" thread, and there are so many pretty afghans that didn't make it into the old gallery. It would be nice to put them all together in one place, but I don't know how to go about that. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just looking to show off my own work again, but when you finish this project you're left with such a feeling of accomplishment that it seems almost a crime to let so many of these afghans go unnoticed by new members because they're scattered among hundreds of posts in more than one thread. I wonder if we could do something like a "Calling All 63'ers" show-and-tell thread to have everyone post their finished afghans in.

I'm kinda stuck, but kinda inspired on this blanket. I had gotten to an icky openwork square, which looked really wonky, but I plugged through it anyway just to get the thing DONE, ya know? And then my other colors arrived!!! I ordered them from joann.com and was so happy to see them a mere 3 business days later. I had cape cod blue Caron perfect match, and ordered deep plum (or something like that) of the same, and hunter green in the One Pound variety. So now that I've got all my colors, I'm thinking about doing the squares of each column and sewing together, etc. as *someone* here suggested (sorry, terrible with names! it's one of my weaknesses). Getting pretty bored with the blue and am anxious to add some zing to this project!

Another dilemma--am planning to do the flat braid join (seen here: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm I love it more every time I look at it! *sigh*) Should I use one color for ALL the joining, or--and this is my weird brain at work--should I use the corresponding color for each square, i.e. do the blue on the blue squares and purple on the purple squares, etc.? I thought this would give a cool blending effect and just look....well, cool. :D What do you think?

3 years? It's that some sorta record?

I started my first square! (yay).. ripped it twice though because it was too big, but now its fine. I had a horrible time deciding on colors, but finally picked a dark blue & a lighter green & red.

Since this CAL was started 3 years ago, I guess the original group has moved on and the links to join are now broken. I love how the CAL continues on regardless. Since this project is so time-consuming it's understandable that the CAL would go on for so long, picking up new members along the way.

It's just a shame that we are kind of "unofficial" now and that our photos aren't part of the gallery which hasn't been updated since 2005. I've been looking through the past 50 pages or so of this thread plus the archived "63 Wannabe Club" thread, and there are so many pretty afghans that didn't make it into the old gallery. It would be nice to put them all together in one place, but I don't know how to go about that. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm just looking to show off my own work again, but when you finish this project you're left with such a feeling of accomplishment that it seems almost a crime to let so many of these afghans go unnoticed by new members because they're scattered among hundreds of posts in more than one thread. I wonder if we could do something like a "Calling All 63'ers" show-and-tell thread to have everyone post their finished afghans in.

Wow! The afghan looks beautiful in one color! I totally agree with what you've said about the gallery. My finished afghan is post #1892 of this thread so I doubt that very few people will actually see it.

Anyway, I find it interesting that Donna is the Crochetville Administrator that started this CAL and it hasn't been updated for years.

Luv2stitch, yours is beautiful. I can't believe you did it in such a short amount of time. Wow! I worked on mine like it was my job, and it still took me almost a full month.

Since this CAL has been on again/off again active over three years, Donna may not be aware there's still interest here. I guess I can't blame her. I don't know that I'd want to keep track of a CAL years after I completed the project. It's just a shame the gallery can't be handled like a show-and-tell thread where the people can post their own pictures here as they complete them rather than sending them to someone else to have to keep track of in an offsite gallery.

his thread just keeps popping up and biting me in the hiney:( Every time I think it is sufficiently buried and I won't be held accountable for the other 50 squares I still need to do... here it is again...~sheesh~:no

Ok, ok.........I give!!!!

I got this leaflet about a year or so but always had some excuse as to why I couldn't make it. Christmas gifts to make....didn't have the time...didn't have the yarn.........

Well, I don't have any of those excuses anymore seeing how a wonderful dear friend of mine actually sent me the yarn to make it!

Here are my first 8 squares. I loved the colors so much I couldn't bear to change them!! Well, my version of them anyway...Bernat yarn, colors Soft Green, Natural and Pale Antique Rose.

th_100_2351.jpg

Wow! The afghan looks beautiful in one color! I totally agree with what you've said about the gallery. My finished afghan is post #1892 of this thread so I doubt that very few people will actually see it.

Anyway, I find it interesting that Donna is the Crochetville Administrator that started this CAL and it hasn't been updated for years.

Everytime this thread pops up I can't help but look to see what everyone else is doing. I too think a gallery of finished afghans would be great! I finished mine on March 21, 2006 (post 1681) but did not add a picture to the forum. I was new and hadn't learned how to add pictures yet so it's on my web site in my signature.

Sue your afghan does look wonderful, very good job.

Thanks, Ilene. I remember visiting your website and viewing your photos there before I began working on mine. Your granddaughter is adorable, and I see you also made the flag afghan I've always wanted to try. It's gorgeous.

Yay, Lisa! Go, go, go! :cheer

I think I signed up for this one a long time ago, but real life got in the way. Since I'm making Lapghans for Brain Trauma Survivors, maybe I'll get some square ideas from the patterns, even if I haven't gotten around to making the aghan yet (because it's for me).

PS: some of the patterns are PERFECT for wash or dish cloths!

Thanks, Ilene. I remember visiting your website and viewing your photos there before I began working on mine. Your granddaughter is adorable, and I see you also made the flag afghan I've always wanted to try. It's gorgeous.

Yay, Lisa! Go, go, go! :cheer

The Flag afghan worked up really quick, did it in less than 2 weeks. The star motifs only took about 15 minutes each! My father loved it.:manyheart

• 1 month later...

I am attempting to join the CAL, however I keep getting a message that the URL is wrong?? I can get to the websight. As soon as I can figure out what's going on I'll sign up!

For now I'm working on the square #6-The Trinity. It's been tricky but the guides/tutorials have helped!

For colors I'm using a Mocha Brown, baby blue, beige, white and for the finishing edges I'm using Tan. :cheer

My mom made this Afghan and had trouble with some of the squares, I'm hoping by joining this group I can complete all the squares (probably with lots of help)! :D

DharmaArt, I don't know that the URL works anymore, but even if it doesn't, that won't matter, because as soon as you post here in the thread, it counts as you signing up. Welcome! :)

I have 15 done so far. Of course I've had to set this aside for a bit to do other things (this is for me so of course it will wait) but I WILL get back to it soon!!

th_100_2404.jpg th_100_2351.jpg

Well I never made it through the Trinity square. I'm not sure why? I followed the instructions, but it never looked the same as it was supposed to in the pictures. I'm re-doing some of the begining squares because they were HUGE - gotta work on getting the gauge right. Other than that it's been fun.:yay

That's cool, making blankets for Brain injured survivors. I work with them in a BI rehabilitation program.

• 5 weeks later...

I am currently working on this afghan. I just recently pulled it out of the closet after several years and have been working on it a lot lately.

Gauge is a pain on these...I had to go down to an F hook and usually I'm right on gauge with the hook it calls for. Even now, they will definately need blocking.

I'm doing the green squares first (in lilac) and I can NOT get #17 Cluster Square or #39 Popcorn Diamond to come out right. The center hole in 17 is too darn big and the popcorns won't line up right in 39; so I'm movin on. Next time I have insomnia; I'm reading thru all the previous posts and will post any hints they've given again so we can find them more easily.

Archived