Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sonnets_and_stitches

Spinning with Lint

6 posts in this topic

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53154

I don't spin. But in the thread linked above, there's a discussion on unusual materials with which to crochet, and dryer lint was brought up. I said I thought it would have be spun, and then I got to wondering - how much dryer lint would a person have to have to be able to spin it?

Do you think that lint could be spun? If so, how much lint would it take to make, oh, enough yarn for a hat?

:nworthy I bow to your superior spinning knowledge.

~ Joy

Dryer lint...no. There needs to be some length to the fibers (staple) in order to spin them together to make a yarn or thread. Lint would not hold together. It can, however be used for other things... my favorite is as fire kindling.

I suspected as much, but having no experience with spinning at all, I really wanted to hear it from someone who knew better than I did. Thanks!

Perhaps if it was combined with other fiber, it could be spun.

I have some raw buffalo that I swear is as short as lint!!! I haven't spun it yet, but a friend has.

There are 6 distinct fibers in buffalo ranging from fluff of less than 1/4 inch to guard hair.

Candy hand separated then carded & spun the 2 smallest lengths of fiber. You need a lot of twist to keep it together!