Making the Grade -15" doll

darski

Making the Grade – 15” doll :pinterest

post-4896-0-65897900-1364345982_thumb.jpg

This was inspired by a very special lady who posted some totally cute pictures at the Y group. I have also been aware of others posting info about graduations for various little and big ones and that all came together eventually. I am sorry I didn’t think of it sooner but it is here now.

I used Royal Blue WW Bernat Super Saver. (it is a thicker ww) and a 5.5mm hook and a 6mm hook.

Notes;
TBL: Through Back Loops

I don’t mention the ch 2 (or 3 if you prefer) at the beginning of rows… that is understood to be so.

The Mortar Board:

post-4896-0-77604600-1364345983_thumb.jpg

Row 1: ch 3, 11 dc in 3rd chain from hook

Row 2: Work TBL, 2dc in every dc

Row 3: in both loops again… 2dc in 1st, *dc in next, 2dc in next* around

Row 4: Dc evenly around

Row 5: dc in 8, (dc, tr) in next (tr, dc) in next, dc to end.

Row 6: hdc around but working 2 hdc in both tr stitches. Break off.

post-4896-0-21629100-1364345983.jpg
mortar board portionwith 5.5mm hook
Firstly…You are going to be working in the front loops that remain from working Row 2 of the cap. You need to organize this in such a way that one of the corners ends up even with the peak that was formed in the front of the cap portion. I would not recommend starting in a corner as it tends to be messy and you want nice corners.
Label your 4 corner “loops” i.e. every third loop will be a corner. And select a stitch between them.

Row M1:Work 2 hdc in every regular loop and 3hdc in every corner loop. Join

Row M2- 5: hdc in every hdc but work (hdc, ch1, hdc --V-st) in every corner, join. Break off after row 5.

Make a tassel in a colour that works for your graduate or favourite school and attach through centre hole.

I would recommend that you coat (soak) this in a white glue mix to keep it stiff. (at least the top portion)

The Academic gown…
post-4896-0-45958600-1364345984_thumb.jpg

Academic gowns generally have sleeves that are caps with long drapes and that is the way this is done. You might want to try a different method for yours. I might try a different way myself :wlol

With 6mm hook..
Ch 21
Row 1: work 2dc in ch, 1 dc in next across chain. (30 hdc)

Row 2: (hdc in 5, ch 1, )twice, hdc in 10, (ch1, hdc in 5) twice

Row 3- 6: hdc in hdc and V-st in ch 1 space.

Row 7: hdc up to and into 1st V-st, ch 5, hdc in next V-st, hdc up to and into next V-st, ch 5, hdc in next V-st and in each hdc to end.

Row 8: ch(3), dc in same st, dc in 3, 3dc in next, dc in 4, dc in each ch, dc in 4, 3dc in next, dc in 11, 3dc in next, dc in 4, dc in each ch, dc in 4, 3dc in next, dc in 3, 2dc in last.

Rows 9-14: work evenly in dc. You can make it longer or shorter if you wish

Sleeves…
Attach yarn at point where sleeve meets ch 5 segment.
Row 1: work hdc in 4, 2hdc in 4, hdc in 4
Row 2: hdc across

Row 3: work hdc in 2, dc in 2 hdc dec 4 times, dc in 2, hdc in last 2.

Rows 4-7: Dc across and break off after row 7.

Form buttonholes w/buttons if you wish

Tidy all ends and take pictures of your new graduate.

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2007

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

How cute is that? :graduate I'll bet that there are a lot of little ones who have graduated from preschool and kindergarten that would love that outfit. Who knows you might even find some big kids that would love it too.:rofl Your designs are fabulous as always.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Archived