How do you convert Knit to Crochet

jasmom

Question

10 answers to this question

There actually is a book out called From Needle to Hook (I believe that's the title) that explains how to change patterns. I took a class last fall on knitting and believe me...I am definitely sticking with Crochet!!! Good luck to you!

There is actually no way to do a direct converstion from knit to crochet or crochet to knit.To convert in either direction, one needs to know the gauge used, the type of yarn, and the type of stitch. You need to find the correct size hook and yarn to match the gauge or else stitch to match the garments measurements. If the knit stitch is an open one, find a crochet stitch that mimics the look of the knit one. Swatch with your final choices and see if it works...if not, keep trying.

I would also like to convert a knitting pattern to a crochet one but also don't know how to go about it. I know some basic knitting but it takes so much longer than crochet to work up that i would prefer crocheting it. I will try to experiment a bit and try to work up the same pattern in crochet.

There is actually no way to do a direct converstion from knit to crochet or crochet to knit.To convert in either direction, one needs to know the gauge used, the type of yarn, and the type of stitch. You need to find the correct size hook and yarn to match the gauge or else stitch to match the garments measurements. If the knit stitch is an open one, find a crochet stitch that mimics the look of the knit one. Swatch with your final choices and see if it works...if not, keep trying.

I actually do a lot of knit convert to crochet (and yes there are a couple of great books out there on the subject, there are good instructions on the internet)...and it's all really a matter of finding stitches that mimic the knitted stitches...yes to the rest of gauge and all, but I don't go for exact gauge...I go for the an approximate...it doesn't have to be perfect.

I do knit but I don't think one has to learn how to knit first...

I've done two knit to converts that I've posted pics here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52380 which is my dressing gown

and another is a peasant top sweater that is in my signature link...

I did use as close to the hook size as was called for in the knitting needle size (although the books will say to use a size or two bigger) and yarn that had roughly the same gauge called for as for knitting...

But to me, the most important part was going for as close to the look of the knitted pattern as possible. The sweater was easy (relatively speaking, easy because if you know how to do the front post, you can do cable crochet and use those stitches for converting any cable knitted pattern) because it was basically a cable sweater...the dressing gown only looks hard because it's so big...

My tape measure is my best friend...I follow the dimensions of the pattern against my own body measurements first before I follow the gauge of how many stitches per 4"...

It's not any more difficult in my opinion to convert a knitted pattern to croject than it is to learn how to knit or crochet...

Depending on your skill level, both math and crochet, your patience and adaptability this can be easy, or frustratingly difficult. There is no 1:1 ratio for knitting to crochet. I also recommend the book from Needle to Hook. This will give you the basics on conversions along with similar appearing stitches. Keep in mind, however, that crochet will be stiffer than knitting. A sweater will not "drape" the same. I have found that tunisian (sp?) crochet can be adapted pretty easily. Just use a hook that will give you roughly the same gauge.

Depending on your skill level, both math and crochet, your patience and adaptability this can be easy, or frustratingly difficult. There is no 1:1 ratio for knitting to crochet. I also recommend the book from Needle to Hook. This will give you the basics on conversions along with similar appearing stitches. Keep in mind, however, that crochet will be stiffer than knitting. A sweater will not "drape" the same. I have found that tunisian (sp?) crochet can be adapted pretty easily. Just use a hook that will give you roughly the same gauge.

I don't agree with the drape...the drape on my garments have been about the same...

I have from "Needles to Hook" and it reccommends either using a larger hook size than needle size, OR using a finer yarn when converting from knit to crochet.

Also, remember that RHSS is NOT meant to be a garment yarn - using a softer yarn (even TLC Essentials) helps drape greatly. I can't work with wool (allergic), but I'm sure that there are worsted wools that are also better suited to afghans than to garments, so pay attention to your yarn choice.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information! I'm glad I asked!

I'll have to buy the book and in the mean time I'll have to take the information I learned from here and apply to a top that I want to make!

Thanks again!

I have from "Needles to Hook" and it reccommends either using a larger hook size than needle size, OR using a finer yarn when converting from knit to crochet.

Also, remember that RHSS is NOT meant to be a garment yarn - using a softer yarn (even TLC Essentials) helps drape greatly. I can't work with wool (allergic), but I'm sure that there are worsted wools that are also better suited to afghans than to garments, so pay attention to your yarn choice.

One good fiber to use is fingering yarn...but I've found that I have to just experiment around until I find something I like.

Archived