Looking for a mantilla pattern

kmeiding

Question

I was asked to find a crochet a mantilla or chapel veil. Does anyone know of any patterns I could use?

5 answers to this question

Depending upon the amount of time you have to get it done, and how good you are at thread, I have an idea. Try using size 30 thread with a No.9 hook and make some Irish lace motifs. At this point, you could do any combo of the following choices:

1. Cut out a piece of muslin in the shape desired, baste the motifs face down on the fabric in the placement you wish;
  2. Cut out a piece of tulle in the shape desired, sew the motifs to the tulle in the placement you wish;
  3. combine the two aforementioned techniques by doing number 1 first, and press with a steam iron so everything lay flat. Take the tulle and carefully pin it to the muslin, so that the motifs are sandwiched between the two fabrics. Using either very fine sewing thread or invisible thread, sew the motifs to the tulle. Turning the fabrics to that the muslin is on top, carefully cut the threads that are holding the motifs to it. The tulle should fall away, complete with motifs on it.
  4. Another method is to do Number one, then with either a finer thread or the same size thread, work an Irish Lace ground in the same size and shape as the muslin, which can be accomplished in one of two ways:

• Work the ground in one solid piece in the shape of the muslin and refer to method 3;
  • Work the ground while also working around and through the motifs on the muslin. This method is a bit harder and tedious. If you attempt this, I recommend that you find a large embroidery hoop to aid you. It will help to keep things evenly spaced and looking beautiful.

I also like LadyCrochat's ideas of using tablecloth motifs and making the shape you want/need. If the thread size given in the pattern seems too bulky for a veil/mantilla, try using a smaller-weight thread and a finer hook. Either way, these suggestions will take some time. How long do you have?

Ooooh! Another idea is to take a doily pattern--perhaps a floral--and, using size 10 thread, make it with a G hook. The ones with flowers and/or leaves would be quite lovely. Doilies with Irish roses would probably be exquisite, since the roses themselves are simple enough to make, and they'd stand out a little better than pansies would--especially if the piece is done in all one color. (Oooh, I'll have to try this, myself!) With the thread and a larger hook, it will have a bit of a cob-webby effect that is divine. I've made shawls this way, and I would imagine a veil would be splendid, as well! good luck! let us know what you decide!

Hi,

I have a chapel veil pattern very cheap in my etsy store. It is the first one I got up. I have others I am designing. I have a round one almost done and another triangle small one almost done. Working on a pattern for a large lacy triangle veil. I am slowly getting things together to offer hand dyed crochet thread for making the veils. Here let me give you my link to the veil. http://www.etsy.com/listing/64374666/very-easy-crochet-chapel-veil-pdf It only cost $1.45. I make my veil patterns cheap because I want any christian woman who wants one to have one. Check out my blog because I have free patterns up there as well although I just started so not many yet. Will have some crochet ones up soon. http://www.ripsimeh.blogspot.com

blessings Ripsimeh

Archived