My do-it-yourself crocheted wedding cake

Mara295

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just Charming!

It looks so real and I love how you used the glasses for the top tier. Cupcakes are another idea instead of a sheet cake & no one has to slice and serve. Also saves on the expense of plates and forks ....... every penny counts.

Just a quick note as an update. I've finished the cake since these pictures were taken, but my internet connection at home is down until the end of the week so I'll post updated pictures then.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their compliments and well-wishes, it really means a lot so THANK YOU!

I need to pass on this idea to friend of mine who's an avid crafter. Shes getting married in a year and its a very low budget wedding.

Yours is fantastic and fantabulous. ^^

Thanks! It needs to be mentioned that the styrofoam I used for this was -not- one of the pre-formed ones that you can get at the craft store. I found those way too expensive for the thickness I needed (each layer is about 6" thick). SO! I went to RONA and bought a sheet of their 3" thick styrofoam for $10 (canadian) and cut the pieces myself. It was messier (it looked like it snowed in my back porch when I was done), but way cheaper in the long run. Wish your friend the best of luck for me! :)

That is just fantastic and beautiful!!! You did a awesome job! :yes

Congratulations on getting married.

I really like this idea. it is a good way to deal with that whole gotta have a great looking cake/we have :2c to make it so. :wlol

It really is very pretty.

I agree about gourmet crochet dot com. great place to visit.

what a great idea! It's beautiful.

Thanks! It needs to be mentioned that the styrofoam I used for this was -not- one of the pre-formed ones that you can get at the craft store. I found those way too expensive for the thickness I needed (each layer is about 6" thick). SO! I went to RONA and bought a sheet of their 3" thick styrofoam for $10 (canadian) and cut the pieces myself. It was messier (it looked like it snowed in my back porch when I was done), but way cheaper in the long run. Wish your friend the best of luck for me! :)

I'm a design student, and having made rough models out of that white foam, I know the feeling! There was a day when I was solid white, head to toe from the stuff. A good steak knife tends to go through it fairly well.

Archived