My do-it-yourself crocheted wedding cake

Mara295

I've been engaged since May 11, and my wedding day isn't until August 9, 2008. However! I was inspired by one of crochetville's own (over at gourmetcrochet.com). Given that I'm -far- too cheap to spend the kind of money vendors want for an edible one of these, I decided to take hook in hand and make my own. I won't post a pattern because I'd like to see some business go to my inspiration site--but I was able to come up with this on my own as I've been crocheting for about 30 years now.

I intend to serve a slab-style cake (far less expensive!) and we'll use this for the obligatory pictures as well as a nice decoration somewhere at the reception. :yes

The front:

cake3.jpg

The back:

cake2.jpg

A closer view of the top tier:

cake1.jpg

I used about 3/4's of a 454g bag of Red Heart "Comfort" and an H hook. To support the top tier I bought 4 pretty little liqueur glasses 2 for $1 at my local Dollarama and set them on the cake bowl-down.

It's not entirely finished yet (but I couldn't wait to show it!), if you look closely you can see the styrofoam core peeking out from the bottom of a couple of the layers--I still have to pin them down nice and even. The flowers are all silk, and I plan to add more roses and a few lilies, some black and gold ribbon (our colours are black, gold and silver), and the foil-covered "cake plates" (silver!) to make it look more authentic. I'm likely to add some pearls here and there as well. I also haven't taken the glue gun to it yet, so the final product will be nice and stable.

It's a super-fun project to do, and one that I recommend to any bride-to-be. In my neck of the woods, an edible version of this would run me into the $300-$400+ range--this one has so far only cost me $50 cdn. TOTAL.

When it's finally done, I'll be taking -many- photographs of it and will update this post at that time. I expect that to be soon as I'm completely obsessed with this thing.

Anyhoo, that's enough o' my babbling, I hope you've enjoyed and thanks for looking!

June 8, 2007: I'm finished! I'm considering removing some of the larger roses from the bottom tier, but other than that it's finished. Woo! Thanks again for all your kind comments folks!

cake5.jpg

cake9.jpg

cake6.jpg

cake4.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very beautiful. I love that web site (gourmetcrochet.com).

I thought about doing a wedding cake in minature for my cousin that will match her daughter's cake.

I can't wait to see yours when it is complete.:hook

Wonderful IDEA! and super gorgeous too! and this beautiful cake won't go to everyones hips the thighs. And you can always admire it for years to come like a keepsake. maybe even include this beautiful masterpiece in many of you wedding photos too! The possibilities for decorating a cake like yours can be endless! Great job!

I love it! And when I finally get married, I might just have to make one of these for myself!

Oh yeah, CONGRATS on your engagement!!!

Archived