Felting and pockets...

samijofitz

I recently did a purse with 2 inside pockets. I fully constructed the purse then felted it. It turned out beautiful. The pockets felted great and they did not felt to the body.

TIA,

I always crochet the pocket, and then sew it onto the purse (not too tight) with yarn and yarn needle. (like a top stitch/whip stitch) I do this before it's felted. Then I felt the whole thing and it comes out great. Just make sure you put your hand inside the pocket when it's finished (while it's still wet) to pull any fibers apart from the purse so it won't dry that way.

You could also felt the pocket separately, then sew it to the purse after they are both felted. I like sewing the pocket on first, then felting it, because that way, it is fused together and you don't see a seam.

Mary Jane

Thanks everyone, I am working on a design for a felted backpack, and want to add a small pocket to the outside for keys or whatever...I think I will add it before felting...will be sure to post photos when finished...lots of things on the list at the moment, but I do have the bag about half done. :)

Sami Jo:hook

Archived