Where Are Some Places You Wouldn't Take Crochet?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My youngest son plays high school sports. I would LOVE to crochet at his football games, but I'm afraid I would be asked to leave for being unAmerican or something because I'm not screaming my head off and cheering for our team to stomp on the opposing team.:lol But I did crochet a "stadium blanket" in my son's team colors and I do get envious looks when I wrap up in it !:cheer Now THAT is not something you can buy at the snack bar!

I wouldn't crochet in class, but that's because I know the professor would probably be offended, but I wouldn't care if someone else did it.

Seeing all the hubub about crocheting in church makes me wonder why some people are so concerned about what OTHER people are doing in church. Worship is about bringing you closer to your god; it's about your individual relationship, so you shouldn't be spending time analyzing someone else's relationship. I'd get more annoyed at people letting their kids crawl all over the place during sermon than anything else. :)

Also, wouldn't crochet at work. Maybe if I left the workplace for lunch or something.

Luv to cro - I bring my yarn to my daughters soccer games - I just don't care what the other people think. I curl up in my comfy canvas chair with foot rest under my ghan and everyone else is freezing their bippies off - oh well lol!

• 3 months later...
Church. I saw a college student knitting in church one day and it really seemed inappropriate.

Jean

I've crocheted in church since I first learned... actually I DID learn. There's a pew just for the old ladies and us three teens (well, now we're teens... we used to be itty bitty... we had our picture in the church newsletter.

A lot of southern churchs consider crocheting to be a fine thing to do while listening to the sermon.

I know a lot of people have mentioned crocheting in church already but when I was experimenting with different religions to see which went best for me, there were actually wiccan pray books that used crocheting, needlework, ect. as ways to help pray. So, while I could never crochet in any type of church setting simply because I'd stop listening and only pay attention to what I was doing, I can work with others doing it.

For my places though, I wouldn't at work. I work in a store that cooks breakfast sandwiches and I have enough trouble getting that awful smell of grease out of my clothing. (It attaches itself to whatever fabric is in the store for more than 5 minutes. My old purse had that faint smell.) I definatly would not want that in my yarn.

Also, I can't crochet in the car simply because I get motion sick from it. I can read for a good part of it but after about 10 minutes of riding with my FIL driving... lets just say I'd rather hang on for dear life and not be sick. However, with... well... a less crazy driver I think I might have to try that ginger thing out.

I've never taken my crochet on the train when I commute but that's because I'm always worried about missing my stop. I have taken it to class before but it was a day in my cosmetology school that we weren't really doing anything but reading and I had done all of it the night before. So generally, I wouldn't take it to my school simply because I'd be worried about various chemicals getting onto it.

I think church is OK if as others have mentioned, you can do it discretely. For me, it was a matter of being able to function & pay attention to the sermon & activities.

Years later, I found out I have ADHD, and since I'm on meds, it's much easier for me to sit still now.

I would not crochet at a funeral, and probably not at a wedding.

Obviously, my whole family knows that I crochet. But I have just recently started to bring my crochet to family gatherings, and if it seems appropriate, I'll get it out. Like Thanksgiving after dinner when football is on, I'll get out my hooks. Still, it feels somewhat awkward and I'm trying to "ease" the in-laws into it and try to make eye contact occasionally so that they know I'm still present. Hey, if my husband can sit and read the paper at my MILs then I should be allowed to crochet!

I don't crochet in church, but I admit, I have thought about designs, been distracted by color schemes, noticed crocheted or knitted items worn by others...I guess I need to focus!

I wouldn't crochet at a wake, funeral, or any type of event such as a wedding or committment ceremony. Church... it depends on the location and the perception of the fellow worshipers. I have been in congragations on both sides of the fence.

Otherwise It is fair game for crocheting.

I believe that crocheting at church needs to be a personal decision as there are many different churches and different ways to worship. I have brought my crochet with me and crochet before or afterwards or waiting for meetings to start or end. I have chosen not to crochet during service, but that's just me. I wouldn't think badly of someone doing it. I have sketched out ideas on paper scraps before and been distracted by thinking of crocheting.

I would crochet at a wedding reception or if I had to wait a long time, but when the ceremony would start, I would quit. I don't think I would crochet at a funeral out of respect for the person who died, but if it was my grandma...I might just because I know she would be smiling down at me (proud of me to continue our crocheting women tradition).

I have taken my crochet to doctors' office and anywhere I have to wait. I do take it to the beach, but that's because I watch my kids play. I'm not much of a beach person, so I'm usually under an umbrella staying out of the sun. (I'm very fair-skinned and freckle and burn)

I usually read in the bathtub, so I wouldn't take it there. About any place else, would probably be fair game.:lol

I have attention deficit disorder and I can understand that it would be easier to listen if you're doing something relaxing (our brains are always off-track!) but I would feel strange crocheting in church. But who am I to judge?

Just my 2 cents.

I can crochet just about anywhere, I think. I haven't considered myself Christian in years, so church isn't a problem for me (although I'm not sure crocheting in church ever was) but as far as crocheting during other spiritual/religious practices, I dedicate all my crochet work before I begin to a deity, so it's a worship practice itself.

Church. I saw a college student knitting in church one day and it really seemed inappropriate.

Jean

Have to say, that some Sundays, I wish I'd have enough nerve for this. I've already proven I can repeat the plot of a movie I've watched while crocheting and conversing with the kids. I'm Catholic and I've been to other Christian denominations where it's encouraged to take notes during the homily/sermon. I just wish Catholics did that.

Jean

I bring my crochet to church all the time. I work on it BEFORE the service starts, and put it away as soon as we begin the first hymn.

I also have add and made the decision to not take meds for it . ( It made me feel like a zombie. Didn't eat, didn't play.. all I did was sleep.) Thats when I learned how to crochet to control my add.

My pastor actually encouraged me to crochet during sermon. He has a daughter that also has add and knows that without it, I would be bouncing all around. When I went to that church, I kept it very simple like a one color scarf.

I did get some pretty nasty looks for doing it though. But the way I figured is, I'm paying attention, I'm not making any noise and I had already talked to the pastor about it.

Pretty much I wouldn't take my crochet on the "Rock N Roller" Coaster at MGM Studios nor the Twilight Zones Tower of Terror. Wouldn't be a good idea on Splash Mountain....(to wet) and then again The Incredible Hulk ride. :eek:eek:eek I just wouldn't be sure to hold onto the crochet hook the same time I was screaming. :hook But anyway, I would crochet anywhere else I felt comfortable. For instance, I may not feel comfortable crocheting during a Wedding, but if someone else was crocheting.....I wouldn't mind a bit.

Archived