Traveling hook II..Hooking for cure, and nana will receive the hook

angelfire

Well, there *is* another option for the book:

You can donate it along with the money to the Cancer Society, or a nearby cancer hospital. That way, we could all write in there how our lives were affected by cancer, who we're working for, and our prayers...

Oh, yeah! So far that's the best idea IMO! Maybe along with pictures of the afghan(s)! Trying to think this thing through!

• Someone(s) bids and wins the afghan(s).
  • The money raised from the auction goes to ACS along with the Journey Book and pictures of the completed afghan(s).
  • The Journey Book contains the journey of the Jimbo hook, our prayers, how our lives have been affected by cancer, who we're making squares in memory or honor of (that's what you mean by "who we're working for", is that correct, Krystal?).
  • The Jimbo Hook is given away in the drawing

Is there anything else to cover? Maybe Jimbo should be the first one to make an entry into the Journey Book since he's making and sending the hook on its journey.

Oh, I love brainstorming!

:manyheart:hug

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.Another thought I had about the journal is for it to go with the afghan to whoever wins the auction. Now, it becomes a tough choice for me: Jimbo or the winner of the auction. Maybe let the winner of the auction decide. If they don't want the journal (cause it may not mean anything to them depending on who wins), then it could go to Jimbo.

Yes...it is a great idea for the journal to go with the winning bid ...if the winning bid is from the group here...but if the bid is just someone on E-Bay that wanted to have an afghan and donate to ACS @ the same time they may not want it.

Well, there *is* another option for the book:

You can donate it along with the money to the Cancer Society, or a nearby cancer hospital. That way, we could all write in there how our lives were affected by cancer, who we're working for, and our prayers...

Yes...the journal is meant to be a place to not only record where the hook has been and with whom. It is meant to record why you may be doing the project...such as if you have a loved one or even you yourself has had experience with the big C. The first hook Journal was the same. It is for whatever you want to share, a gift of love and hope. Originally I wanted to make a blanket and donate it to the cancer center near my home along with the journal, I thought by auctioning the afghan that it would go to everyone involved.

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I just started reading this thread. Is there a way that those of us who aren't in the traveling hook can still donate squares? I'm not worried about getting an entry for the hook or not, but would really like to do a couple (probably just plain) granny squares for this cause. With so many colors to choose from, will the afghan be all of those colors, or will you try to have an afghan that's all pink/white for breast cancer etc? Just wondering.

This sounds like such a neat idea! I wish I could have been in the traveling part, but maybe next time? :)

Victoria

Sure... I'd be happy to do the journal. I'm like most folks. I've lost friends and relatives to cancer. So yeah, i'll do it and send it along with the hook which is just about finished (and it's an I).

Sould i send it to YOU, Angel, or to the first person on the list?

Oh, and i'm honored that you'd think to give me the journal, and i'd love to read of the hook's travels...but i agree that maybe it should go with the afgan so the recipient will see just how much heart went into the project.

Pink/Breast Cancer

Teal/ White/Ovarian Cancer, Cervical Cancer

Clear-Lung Cancer

Purple-Pancreatic Cancer, Leiomyosarcoma

Orange-Leukemia

Black-Melanoma

Dark Blue-Colon Cancer

Burgundy / White-Multiple Myeloma, Head and Neck Cancer

Grey -Brain Cancer

Blue-Prostate Cancer

Gold-Childhood Cancers

Lavender-General cancer Awareness

Lime Green-Lymphoma

Peach-Uterine Cancer

Kelly Green-Kidney cancer

Yellow -Sarcoma/Bone Cancer, Bladder Cancer

Emerald Green-Liver Cancer

Periwinkle Blue-Esophageal Cancer

Looking at all the color representations for the different types of cancers, I guess you wouldn't use a multi color, would you?

And how would someone make a "clear" colored square for lung cancer?

jimbo, thanks for making the hook! I'm glad it's an I, too! That way we can make more squares in the time allowed...it'll go faster!

Another question...what about edging our squares?

And if we edge them, should they measure 8" with the edging or 8" before edging.

Should all the squares be 100% acrylic?

It won't matter if some use RHSS, Bernat SV, Caron SS,

......Lion Brand or other worsted weights (I don't know 'em all)?

The Caron SS makes such a different feeling square; it feels thinner.

I know someone said to stay away from wool, with which I agree.

I suppose you wouldn't want to use 100% cotton worsted either...

can't it lose it's shape or something like that? I really don't know!

Oh, yeah! So far that's the best idea IMO! Maybe along with pictures of the afghan(s)! Trying to think this thing through!

• Someone(s) bids and wins the afghan(s).
  • The money raised from the auction goes to ACS along with the Journey Book and pictures of the completed afghan(s).
  • The Journey Book contains the journey of the Jimbo hook, our prayers, how our lives have been affected by cancer, who we're making squares in memory or honor of (that's what you mean by "who we're working for", is that correct, Krystal?).
  • The Jimbo Hook is given away in the drawing

Is there anything else to cover? Maybe Jimbo should be the first one to make an entry into the Journey Book since he's making and sending the hook on its journey.

Oh, I love brainstorming!

:manyheart:hug

yes the afghan/afghans will be auctioned bid and won by a lucky individual.

The journal was never intended to go to the ACS as the money will be going there directly from Mission Fish and will not be received to pass on.

If someone @ Crochetville wins the afghan they have the option of receiving the journal and dispensing with it in any way they deem appropriate including , keeping it, giving it to Jimbo or even giving it to the ACS.

Jimbo could make the first entry if he wishes to...or he can make his entry on the page next to the cover page after receiving the journal to read after the travels are complete..whichever his his personal preference.

He does not need to supply the journal to begin with, I feel that is my responsibility as the hostess of the travels.

The Journal will be entries detailing who participated and anything they wish to write including if they are honoring a memory of someone , how cancer has affected their lives or those around them, and prayers if they wish to include them.

The hook will be given away at the end of the travels to someone that participated...this may be the one way to not only own a Jimbo hook, but one that has a grand patina from all of the love.

Looking at all the color representations for the different types of cancers, I guess you wouldn't use a multi color, would you?

And how would someone make a "clear" colored square for lung cancer?

The colors given were those used for cancer awareness ribbons..which was stated in the thread that the colors were taken from...clear could be represented by a very light gray if that was a wish.

Varigated probably won't be use unless it is by one that has two colors represented in the chart.

Another question...what about edging our squares?

And if we edge them, should they measure 8" with the edging or 8" before edging.

Should all the squares be 100% acrylic?

It won't matter if some use RHSS, Bernat SV, Caron SS,

......Lion Brand or other worsted weights (I don't know 'em all)?

The Caron SS makes such a different feeling square; it feels thinner.

I know someone said to stay away from wool, with which I agree.

I suppose you wouldn't want to use 100% cotton worsted either...

can't it lose it's shape or something like that? I really don't know!

Acrylic would be preferred because of washability and there are some cottons that are as soft as acrylic and can be used as when they are joined they usually retain their shape.. As long as all squares are 8" before edging.

Any idea when this will start?? I am pretty close to the top of the list and want to make sure I am ready when it arrives.....

We are waiting patiently for the craftmanship of Jimbo, it will start shortly afterwards. I will pm you before I send your address to the person that will be sending to you to make sure you are ready when it arrives. For sure it will not begin before June 20th because of mailing time required to get it to the first person on the list after the hook is ready.

Ok, I have this thing with rules...so my question is...can I send extra-non-Jimbo-hooked squares? Not that I am PLANNING on breaking any rules, but well, these things do tend to happen. :devil

Jimbo, It was extremely nice of you to offer the hook for this effort. :hug

angelfire and JIMBO - could you please let us know what the proper way is to package this hook so it remains undamaged in transit?

I was wondering the same thing as cluless. I was thinking maybe I'd make some of my daisy squares to send along, but I can't do those in an I and get them to come out to 8", I don't think. Well, maybe!

I have sent you an e-mail "Hooking For A Cure." Hope it is not too late to be a part of this. kdbliv:pink

angelfire and JIMBO - could you please let us know what the proper way is to package this hook so it remains undamaged in transit?

Not to worry about transporting of hook Jimbo is good about sending hook in a cardboard box to keep it safe and I have been informed it would be used in the sending and receiving of said hook:devil

Ok, I have this thing with rules...so my question is...can I send extra-non-Jimbo-hooked squares? Not that I am PLANNING on breaking any rules, but well, these things do tend to happen. :devil

Jimbo, It was extremely nice of you to offer the hook for this effort. :hug

Yes, because we are doing this for such a great cause. we will accept extra squares.

I was wondering the same thing as cluless. I was thinking maybe I'd make some of my daisy squares to send along, but I can't do those in an I and get them to come out to 8", I don't think. Well, maybe!

Yes Krystal we would love some of your daisy squares because can't do it with the traveling hook it is important enough to have them included.

Not to worry about transporting of hook Jimbo is good about sending hook in a cardboard box to keep it safe and I have been informed it would be used in the sending and receiving of said hook:devil

I will also be crocheting a case to cushion the hook in transit.

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I just started reading this thread. Is there a way that those of us who aren't in the traveling hook can still donate squares? I'm not worried about getting an entry for the hook or not, but would really like to do a couple (probably just plain) granny squares for this cause. With so many colors to choose from, will the afghan be all of those colors, or will you try to have an afghan that's all pink/white for breast cancer etc? Just wondering.

This sounds like such a neat idea! I wish I could have been in the traveling part, but maybe next time? :)

Victoria

Yes, I will accept squares to use to donate to the ACS and assemble any squares sent. I would be honored.

The colors will dictate if we can make specific colors or have a mixture to represent all of the cancers.

all squares are 8" before edging.

I guess I have not made myself clear enough on the size of squares concerning edging as a member as asked to be clarified.

I will be edging the squares myself to make sure that they are all the same size before joining. Everyone is using a different measuring tool and some are more accurate than others. I use a quilting square to make sure that each square is the same.

I will add an edging to each square before joining them together to bring a sense of balance.

If this has not answered your question please feel free to pm me.

Angelfire - we will all do our BEST to get them as close to 8" as possible, but I can tell you from MUCH experience with my daisies that 1/2 inch difference is acceptable without needing any fudging on the part of the edger. My daisies I have that are 7 1/2 to 8" all get the same treatment, and extra round of dc. The ones that are up to 8 1/4" get an extra round of hdc. Up to 8 1/2" get an extra round of sc. If they are bigger than that, I can't use them with the other squares, so they're set aside for with the "LARGE" squares.

PLEASE everyone, be SURE to measure your squares! If they are too small, put an extra round of edging to make it right. Measure as you go, and don't make them too large. If you see you're getting close, put on an edge and don't continue with the rest of the pattern - even if it SAYS it's supposed to make 8".

It is VERY difficult to try to figure out joining when squares are drastically different from the size they're supposed to be!

Angelfire - we will all do our BEST to get them as close to 8" as possible, but I can tell you from MUCH experience with my daisies that 1/2 inch difference is acceptable without needing any fudging on the part of the edger. My daisies I have that are 7 1/2 to 8" all get the same treatment, and extra round of dc. The ones that are up to 8 1/4" get an extra round of hdc. Up to 8 1/2" get an extra round of sc. If they are bigger than that, I can't use them with the other squares, so they're set aside for with the "LARGE" squares.

PLEASE everyone, be SURE to measure your squares! If they are too small, put an extra round of edging to make it right. Measure as you go, and don't make them too large. If you see you're getting close, put on an edge and don't continue with the rest of the pattern - even if it SAYS it's supposed to make 8".

It is VERY difficult to try to figure out joining when squares are drastically different from the size they're supposed to be!

I know everyone will do their BEST to make them 8". I may not need to edge...I was just trying to say not to worry about edging as I can use sc, hdc, or dc to make them within a 1/8" of each other. Krystal you put it very well and yes after doing Jessc's afghan you have LOTS of experience. I know that even my squares can vary depending on my tension when I am crocheting. Thank you for helping clarify...I really appreciate it.

as a side note....everyone should have received a pm this morning, if you didn't please contact me.

Ok, I have been out of touch for a couple of days, so I had a lot of reading to catch up on this thread!

The questions I had have pretty much all been answered by other posts.

Angelfire, thanks for coordinating this and being so patient with us in this organizing stage. Jimbo, thank you ever so much for making and donating the hook! I will actually get to touch and use one of your creations! YAY!!!!

Several people I have known, including relatives, have had battles with cancer, some have won. I think this Ville effort is a great way to contribute support for the cause!

Archived