Traveling hook II..Hooking for cure, and nana will receive the hook

angelfire

:manyheart Hooking for a Cure will be a traveling hook, with proceeds to benefit the American Cancer Society.

Due to the large requests for comfortghans for cancer patients recently on posts here, I thought it would be great if we as a board would make a comfortghan to be auctioned off for cancer research. Depending on the number of squares made, we may have more than one. It will be listed on E-bay (Mission Fish) so that everyone has a chance. As soon as one is completed it will be auctioned. Pictures will be posted with progress made.

This would run similar to the Traveling hook that was done previously. The hook will be donated by Jimbo. I had requested that he make one of yew as the bark has been used in cancer medications. I told him that I would buy one and he graciously wanted to donate one as his contribution. (http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com). This will be great for those that always wanted to feel the greatness of a Jimbo hook.

We had a sign-up with the first 35 to reply and if the hook moves quick enough we may have the opportunity to add more( there is a waiting list if you are interested).There will be a drawing for the hook for all paticipants for the hook, for each square made you will have one entry in the drwaing.

We will keep a journal of the travels @ http://hookingforacure.blogspot.com/

Each person will have the hook for 3-5 days before sending on to the next person on the list. I am going to try to do this geographically. You must have delivery confirmation when sending the hook to the next person.

I was thinking that 8” squares would be a great size as they make up quicker and you may make as many as you wish to donate in your time allowed, be it just one or a dozen. The hook will be sent to the next person on the list and the squares sent to me. Each participant will make an entry in the virtual journal http://hookingforacure.blogspot.com/ The colors would be those used in cancer awareness ribbons. These include

Pink/Breast Cancer

Hot Pink- Inflammatory Breast cancer

Pink/Blue - Male Breast Cancer

Pink/Teal -Hereditary Breast Cancer

Teal - Ovarian Cancer

Teal/ White/ Cervical Cancer

Teal/Pink/Blue thyroid cancer

Clear/Pearl-Lung Cancer

White - bone cancer

Black-Melanoma

Black/ white(zebra stripes) Carcinoid Syndrome Cancer

Grey -Brain Cancer

Burgundy / Ivory- Head and Neck Cancer

Burgundy - Multiple Myeloma

Red and White - oral cancer

Blue and White -teen cancer

Blue-colorectal cancer

Light Blue- prostate cancer

Dark Blue-Colon Cancer( can also use brown)

Periwinkle Blue-Esophageal Cancer, Stomach cancer, small intestine cancer

Gold-Childhood Cancers

Amber- appendix cancer

Orange-Leukemia

Purple-Pancreatic Cancer,

Lavender-General cancer Awareness

Orchid-Testicular cancer

Peach-Uterine Cancer, Endometrial cancer

Yellow -Sarcoma/Bone Cancer, Bladder Cancer

Kelly Green-Kidney cancer

Emerald Green-Liver Cancer

Lime Green-Lymphoma

We could personally decide which we would like to use to honor a loved one. You may use any pattern you choose and I am looking forward to all the love this shall bring. If you have any questions please email me @ angelfire4u4ever AT hotmail dot com

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the order in which you will receive the hook. Jimbo made a beautiful hook , dedicated to his friend "Sonny" and it is traveling...heaeded to New Jersey

Revena

Needle Arts

*vonnie

Cookie Hooker

Jessi

*deedes

nana-receives hook

beth eathorne

*TX CrochetLover

ankey

JazziBlu

crochet_hen

KathyWho

Midds

salos

*JoBug

*kittyloverdeb

*KellyA

*loopy1

*Daisy

*owlstitcher

*jmccrochet

Krystal16

Joann

wildthing1058

*slicer

*kwoolls

*scc51055

*Seneca and Scooch

*pineknott

*Vickietoria (changed position)

BonnieCrochets

*KnicKnac

*LaurieE

*cshort

*cluless

*coolhockeymom

Brina

*angelfire

You are the first name on the list. We will take as many people as we can. I would just like to be able to finish within a year, so the faster the hook moves, the more participants we can add. I am looking forward to this being a success. I want to Thank :cheer Jimbo for offering a wonderful hook.

This sounds like a fantastic idea! Thanks to Jimbo for his generosity in donating the hook. I lost my dad to cancer a few years ago and I am happy to be able to participate in such an important project.

I would LOVE to join this one too. Lost both my parents and an "adopted" mom (best friend's mom) to cancer in the last 20 years. It's a cause that's near and dear to me and ACS is the organization I decide to give my time to locally. I sent you an email from my personal account

Joyce

I would love to participate. I lost my grandpa to cancer 6 yrs ago. And my mom is a breast cancer survivor. I'll pm you will my addy in case you allow me to join you all in this worthy cause.

I would love to participate in this. I have an extensive number of different types of cancer on both sides of my family. My mother, age 94 just past away April 24th (of complications of a fractured hip) but was a breast cancer and bowel cancer survivor since age 68.

I would love to join in thismy ? is who do we send the squares and hook to next person

I will try to explain better.

There will be a list of participants updated in post # 2 on this thread as to who will be receiving the hook and in which order. I will have a list of all of the names and addresses to keep your address secure. I will pm you when the hook is headed your way to make sure that you will home to receive it when it arrives.

All squares will be sent to me to assemble when you finish. The list will be updated as to who has had the hook, when they sent it to the next person and when your squares have arrived safely.

Once enough squares have been received I will assemble an afghan to be auctioned. I choose Mission Fish as they automatically send the money to the charity and I will send a receipt of this donation to an administrator. I am hoping that we will be able to do more than one and that everyone enjoys the travels.

I will assemble a journal that you may write in when you have the hook that will travel with the hook. It isn't necessary for you to write in it but I know that sharing with others is a great idea. The journal and the hook will be given to one of the participants at the end of the travels from a name drawn at random.

I hope this answers your questions.

Archived