Hook Holder

Good Morning!

I'm looking for something a little more interesting and convienient to keep my hooks in than an old coffee mug. I have seen a sewn hanging holder for knitting needles, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar, (sewn, crocheted, whatever) for hooks. Preferably something I can keep hung up or in my craft cabinet away from tiny hands. Any ideas?:manyheart

There are a few patterns out there you can buy (I have one from Butterick and one from Simplicity) and you can crochet a very nice one from this pattern: Crochet Hook Case

If you like to sew you can make one very easily, I made mine in one evening. I took 2 fat quarters in coordinating colors (the inner one in my case is flannel, to baby my wood hooks), laid them wrong sides together, and basted them together. Then I finished around the outside edge by rolling the outside fabric over the inside fabric and stitching it down (like the edge of a quilt). Then I folded the bottom edge of the "sandwich" up toward the center to create a pocket and stitched parallel seams from bottom to top, about 1" apart. This created little individual pockets for the hooks. I left a wider pocket at each side for scissors, stitch gauges, etc., and sewed a letter bead on each pocket to designate what size hook would go in it.

If you want to hang it up you could sew loops to the top edge, or put in button holes. If you're going to fold and roll it (as I do) you can sew on a loop and button closure, velcro, or tie tapes. This probably sounds a bit complicated, but was really easy. I did the whole thing in one evening. I'll take some photos of mine this afternoon and add them here, if anyone is interested.

Good Morning!

I'm looking for something a little more interesting and convienient to keep my hooks in than an old coffee mug. I have seen a sewn hanging holder for knitting needles, I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar, (sewn, crocheted, whatever) for hooks. Preferably something I can keep hung up or in my craft cabinet away from tiny hands. Any ideas?:manyheart

Funny you mentioned one that hands up in a cabinet.. There was a pattern is crochet today or family circle easy crochet for felted caddies that you can hang up!! I am looking right now to find which magazine and issue... stay posted:)

Thank you I will! There's so many great ideas, I think I just figured out what to do for a few Christmas gifts!

Cranky, I see you are in Westchester County. I grew up in the Bronx and went to school in Bronxville. My Mom graduated college at Concordia. You can be all THAT cranky are ya? :)

Thank you I will! There's so many great ideas, I think I just figured out what to do for a few Christmas gifts!

Cranky, I see you are in Westchester County. I grew up in the Bronx and went to school in Bronxville. My Mom graduated college at Concordia. You can be all THAT cranky are ya? :)

Ahahahah I am not all THAT cranky just when it comes to crocheting, lol..

I grew up in Yonkers and Bronxville was our "stomping ground" There was a path from the Will Library on Central Ave that lead to PS 8.. I went to grade school there. A friend of mine graduated from Concordia and my parents lived in the the Bronx for a long time... Its funny, seems like everyone lived in the Bronx for a period of time :lol Where about in the BX?

And... yes, this pattern seems perfect for what you are looking for.. it has a little loop and everything for you to hang...I am looking!!!!!:)

I lived 2 blocks from the hospitals, Jacobi and Albert Einstein I believe? I was 12 when we moved out here, (MN) I've only been back 3 times, but I bet I could still drive from the house to school just by memory..... funny how things stick with you. And others don't one bit!!

I lived 2 blocks from the hospitals, Jacobi and Albert Einstein I believe? I was 12 when we moved out here, (MN) I've only been back 3 times, but I bet I could still drive from the house to school just by memory..... funny how things stick with you. And others don't one bit!!

SO true.. I bet you can drive it blindfolded.. but please don't :lol :lol :lol

Good luck finding your perfect hook holder!!

Mine is just like Paulette's. The nice thing about them is you can custom make them to fit the size and number of hooks you need to store -- my wood hooks are quite a bit longer than my aluminum.

Good Morning!

I just found this pattern that's available for purchase earlier tonight so maybe this is what you are looking for?

http://www.crochetmemories.com/patterns/crafterscorner.php

Otherwise, I like this crochet hook case pattern and the pattern is free:

http://toddsarahkohler.tripod.com/crochetworks/case.html

I liked it even better after I gave it a few tweaks or two of my own for my own personal use. :lol

HTH!

- Cheryl

P.S. Here's another URL for the free crochet hook case pattern since I forgot to include it when I first posted:

http://www.sarahanns.com/crochetworks/case.html

I also added a lot of links for hook/needle case patterns at my site on this page:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/cinnaminn_s/patternlinks.html

Ohhhh I am so excited now thank you thank you everyone! I never know what to do for my MIL and SIL for Christmas gifts, we usually cant afford too much..... and I think up stuff about a week before and can't get it done. I could be done by July!!!

Archived