Worst Comment Ever

jaredsfa2004

So, I just went to my sister's apartment after work, to see her, and her room mate's boyfriend was there. Well, i noticed there were some of my doilies next to each other on the table...and he said to me...I think those things are the ugliest things I have ever seen...and I responded, "I made those" and he said, well that's cool that you can make something like that... I WAS FURIOUS!!!!! Here is what I saw

54bee4333765.jpg

WE are crocheters living in a world of ignorant people, who think what you do is knitting, and what you make is pointless and meaningless

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow those are both beautiful!! He's a guy who was showing his manliness (and ignorance). Don't let him get to you.

Don't let it get to you. People are insensitive. Period.

It probably was a macho thing. He couldn't like delicate, beautiful things if he wanted to be a showoff.

P.S. They ARE beautiful doilies! I am always very jealous of people who have the talent to work with thread and create such intricate designs. The people who matter do love them.

I'm sorry that he failed to see how much talent, dedication, and time it takes to make something so intricate. Even if he didn't care for the beautiful designs, he could have looked past that to see how much loving work goes into doilies like that. I hope I'm never so thoughtless.

~ Joy

Well...like others have said...they are absolutely beautiful. The one on the left in particular, is so beautiful. I have yet to start a doily...maybe some day soon!

He was just jealous. :devil

People have said rude things to me, when I gave it to them as a gift, even. You just have to learn (through trial and error, sometimes...) who to give your works of art to, and who not to... And to just brush off peoples' ignorance and rudeness. I, for one, would have been thrilled to pieces to have those doilies in my house!! :manyheart

Tina

Please forgive him, he's just a guy. As others said, guys don't understand the significance of doilies.

I can't make doilies and I don't even try since I don't have such patience to make these intricate works. Yours are just very beautiful, don't let whatever that guy said get into you. He's just a regular Joe!

To be fair--to him, they probably were ugly. Beauty tends to be in the eye of beholder, yes, but it is also a matter of being educated to appreciate fine things, even if they are not to your personal taste. He clearly lacks this enlightenment.

I know a man who makes beautiful lace (including doilies), designs his own very innovative patterns, and has published a book. You can read about the Polish tatter Jan Stawasz here:

http://www.frywolitka.slupsk.pl/index_en.php

I also read a biography of George Washington Carver once and was very excited to learn that he was an excellent crocheter! He did beautiful filet work and gave it all away. I'd love to see some!

So, you are in good company, Jared. You do wonderful work, and if your picture is any indication, you are very young and have many years of creating ahead of you. Don't let ignorance like his discourage you--just vent here and keep on crocheting.

:( Dont pick on an ignorant male who does not know any better.:(

You do not need him or anyone else to tell you they are beautiful.

You just need to think so yourself.

Your sister obviously likes them or she would not have them on display so just ignore him and hope your sister does not hang on to him for too long.

Better she throws out the boyfriend than the doilies.

Chin up.

Colleen.:hug

Absolutely gorgegous...I'm so sorry he was so tactless, especially after he knew you made them.

WOW!! I'd like to tell you what I'd tell him but I can't use that kind of language on this board!

On a better note, they are just beautiful! You should be proud of your work. and don't let others put you or your work down..

That type of language is definitely NOT allowed on this board. I honestly cannot think of anything I could've/would've said to him that would be allowed on this board.

Some people are just plain rude and ignorant.

Archived