AMI - Craft show nightmare... update on post 37,

KristieMN

Don't let this one show discourage you. It was your first, and you did sell something. Not every show will be a good one, nor will every show be a loss. You need to hang in there and keep trying. Whether you sell alot or a little is going to depend on a few things: You have to consider the demographics of the crowd, the time of year,and what the other vendors are selling. Is someone else selling the same type of item, even if yours are better, are theirs cheaper. If everyone else also did poorly, then it was just the crowd...they weren't buying. My first craft fair was this past December...and from what the other vendors said, the crowd was really not spending. My friend and I had very bohemian style scraves, hats, some shawls sweaters and finglerless gloves..hair scrunchies were my "cheap" item. One of the vendors in the same room had sold out all of her jewelry ($1800.00) in one day the week before at another show .at this fair she only sold a very few items. There was another crochet table...the ladies with that one came to see my items and praised them.. when I went to see their table, it was all traditonal items: potholders, towel toppers, etc. They sold alot. I did have 3 of the other vendors buy items from my table. Lots of people looked, told us how great our work was, but not many actually bought. My friend an I were probably just a little too " cutting edge" for the crowd. We both sell alot to individuals throughout the year. We are getting ready for another show, and we are planning to go back to the first show again this year. We think since December was our first time at that show, and lots of the other vendors are "old timers" we may do better the second time around. . We did sell the most for any vendor in our room. The first day we had the only sales in the room and by the second day we had the highest total...and that was only $250 You have a quality product. Shows are fun...don't give up

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry about the poor result of your show :( Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :)

I did shows for 18 yrs. selling my jewelry. Some were great, some were so-so, and some were the 'show from ****'!

I think some of your perceptions are correct.

No advertising is the kiss of death. "If you build it they will come" only works in Hollywood! Holiday weekends are NOT good times for a show. I definitely do NOT think it is your work, which is adorable, and different from the average crocheter's work.

Do not give up! Think about looking into Juried Shows. After the first few years, I realized the only way to make any money was to do Juried Shows. You'll need really good slides of your work (I bit the bullet and had them professionally photographed... sure it was expensive, but it paid off). Spend this summer and fall going to as many shows in your area as you can. Try to go near the end of the show, and see if craft persons will share how the show went. See if your work would be a good fit.

Joan

everything looks wonderful!! I love the monkeys!!! :cheer :cheer There is NO WAY that anyone wouldn't like what you made! I think you are right about the holiday weekend...and it is not a time when people are buying gifts. Fall bazaars and christmas fairs are the best! I am sorry you were disappointed:hug ...I know advertising can have a great deal to do with it also!

I hope you are putting things in your etsy store, I haven't even tried crocheting animals yet and would like a few myself!

Kristie, your items are amazing, well packaged and very reasonably priced. I have always admired your creativity and now your productivity as well! I used to volunteer for a community centre and every year for I would put on a craft fair before Christmas. I learned early to advertise as much as my budget would allow as well as looking for all the free advertising I could find. Being on a long weekend is almost definitely a kiss of death, especially if the weather is nice. You know everyone is going away or working around the home in the spring and not thinking of much else. If it was too cold or windy during my fairs, they did poorly as well. Another potential issue is if there are other similar fairs happening the same day, especially if they're bigger. And then again, you just never know when you're going to do well. I've done fairs where I've done quite well when others didn't and vice versa. You just never know. So don't give up too quickly. My girlfriend and I rent tables together. She does stained glass and I do crochet. We look at it as our opportunity to spend a weekend together since we live four hours apart and to meet new people with no expectations except social ones so we are never disappointed. Don't give up too quickly. It can be a lot of fun.

What went wrong? I think a number of things.

1...it was memorial day weekend. I think quite a few of the people in town were out of town.

2... I think the only people who were aware of the craft show were local....not big enough advertising

3..... no one liked my stuff? :(

It does help that everyone else had pretty much the same luck as me. Some vendors didnt sell anything at all.

I am not sure if I will attempt the craft show avenue again.

You're right about reasons 1 and 2 for having a disappointing show but you're very wrong about #3!

Spring shows traditionally are lousy and they're worse on holiday weekends or during football games. (I can't believe they would even schedule a craft show on a holiday weekend!!!! That's insane.)

Craft shows, in general, are going downhill for some reason. I made a total of $400 for all of 2006, which is down by AT LEAST 50 percent for me. Other vendors have all sorts of reasons for the decline -- the economy, the weather, the war, the 2008 elections, 9-11. You name it.

The buying public is very fickle. You might sell a ton of "something" at one show, so you'll run home to make more. But at the very next show, you won't sell a thing.

Don't give up on the craft shows. Just do them in the fall, especially as it gets closer to Christmas. I find that mid-October to mid-November are the peak times for making money at craft shows. Make sure they're well-advertised and well-established shows. I shy away from premier or second-year shows. I'd rather pay a little more for space than be a guinea pig at a first-year show.

Think about the way you display your items too. Don't just sit them on a table, all at the same level. Add some shelves, get some doll chairs, rocking horses, etc. Get a couple of nice tablecloths that would not detract from your display. I use good old black fabric for my tables. If the show is close to Halloween, for example, have some decorations like a few real small pumpkins placed strategically around your display. Get ideas from other vendors.

I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but I've been doing craft shows for a million years.....

I am so sorry you weren't more successsful at the craft sale...been there, done that....but sometimes it works out great. Your stuff is awesome! I would buy it if I was at your sale.

I was wondering tho if your pattern for the monkeys is available anywhere?? They are SOOOOOOOO cute!!!!

It's definitely NOT the quality of your items, everything is absolutely ADORABLE! In my experience with craft shows, and why I stopped doing them years ago, is because nobody goes to craft shows to buy. The people who go to craft shows are other crafters, and they go to get ideas. The ones who buy things are buying them so that they can take them home and use them as guides for making them.

The ONLY time I ever did halfway decent at a craft show was the late fall ones, and that's because people were shopping for holiday gifts. Any other time was an abysmal disaster, so I gave up craft shows.

Elle

Thank you all for such kind words!!:hug

It definately helped the hurt ego!:lol

I do know one lady who does craft shows. Granted, she makes things out of carved wood. She does 3 a year, and that is all she needs to make enough to live on.

I think I may try one closer to X-mas.

Opening deer hunting is a HUGE day to goto craft shows around here.

The monkey pattern and the lollipop pals pattern will be typed up soon.

They will be offered for free with my toy drive!

I am waiting on a call back from the hospital.....and typing up the patterns.

I hope to have more details soon!

I only made $11.50 at the Farmer's Market this weekend... could be from the holiday... and I had NO WHERE near the inventory you had!

BTW... are you going to be selling the catapillar? I would love to buy one, my daughter loves baby einstien, which has a 'pillar on it.... I don't make toys I will send you a pm

I agree that is nothing to do with "your toys." People just don't know I good thing when they see it. I bet it would sell at the craft show that we have here. We have the Peddler Show come through three times a year. One thing they don't have is crocheted items. And they don't have a lot of items for children, especially suitable for boys. If I were only good enough, and fast enough. Maybe I would try something like that out. The fact that it was Memorial Day weekend doesn't help. Most people go out of town, to the beach, to the park, or BBQ right at home.

Kristie,

Chin-up Girl, your stuff is A.Dor.A.Ble!!! I will definitely be looking to help you with your toy drive in order to get my hands on that cute monkey pattern! :) :)

Love your designs...

~k

Wow! you have been VERY busy! Your critters are amazing and I am sure your craft show went just fine! If I was at the craft show I would want 1 of everything! Wonderful job!!!!!!!

I love your stuff! I have had a similar experience and I was depressed a long time over it~~since I had done really well with my first craft show. Don't give up! Just you wait until the fall Christmas craft show season. . .I bet you sell every piece!

are any of your finished items for sale at your etsy store?

Actually, I hope to have some listed by tomorrow evening!

Things have been a big hectic around here... tomorrow is the end of the school year for my 2 oldest girls!

Thank you for asking!

kirsty...your items are one of the best!!! i ve seen!!!:yes WE HAD A "SPRING FLIng" this past weekend also. there was everything there from crochet to handmade jewelry. this one woman had afghans from 5-15$ :eek !!! nobody did well. thank goodness the stand prices were cheap. i always go partners with some one, this way you get a break, and so does your partner. and its good company!! just think...you have a good start if you decide to do again (which xmas always seem to go well) or a really great start for gifts!! all your items are nice and eye appealing. :tup dont give up.

Dear Kristie, your toys are fabulous!!! I'm sorry the craft show was a disappointment. The only trouble with your toys was that they were TOO GOOD. LOL Your crochet patterns are works of art and your crocheted toys are superbly crafted. Fact is darlin' the craft fair attracted people looking for Walmart pictures and you had Monets and Renoirs for sale!

Hugs. :hug

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say....

I just got a few of these toys, and YES!! They are far too good! My DD loves the Mouse (carries it all over and sleeps with it). The kitty has taken up residence at my work by my computer! and My eldest DD has the frog sucker on display (after much convincing the youngest DD that there really wasn't a sucker on the inside, no matter how much she pulled the head!)

These toys are just loverly!!!

I just want to say....

I just got a few of these toys, and YES!! They are far too good! My DD loves the Mouse (carries it all over and sleeps with it). The kitty has taken up residence at my work by my computer! and My eldest DD has the frog sucker on display (after much convincing the youngest DD that there really wasn't a sucker on the inside, no matter how much she pulled the head!)

These toys are just loverly!!!

I am so glad you liked them!

You know, it really woudnt be a bad idea to actually put a sucker inside!:lol

You would just have to tie the bottom around the sucker so it didnt fall out in the mean time...hmm...something to think about!!:lol

Thanks again!

Archived