WOOD, ALUMINUM OR PLASITC, which is it??

• 3 weeks later...
:hookI LOVE Addi hooks because they are color coded, are gold tipped, and have an ergonomic handle. These are the smaller hooks for threads. It was so hard to use the steel hooks since my hand would cramp holding such a small diameter hook. But no more! I am so happy with my new hooks.

Wood gets my vote! My husband turns all my hooks from exotic woods. Even my itty, bitty steel hooks have fancy turned handles. The wood handles are larger so easier on my arthritis and I can crochet much longer!

Wood gets my vote! My husband turns all my hooks from exotic woods. Even my itty, bitty steel hooks have fancy turned handles. The wood handles are larger so easier on my arthritis and I can crochet much longer!

What a sweet, creative husband to do that for you!

~ Joy

I don't really care for the plastic hooks. They squeak, :eek especially when you use them with acrylic yarn. I only keep them around for travel -- I figure if I lose or break one I won't care.

I have 1 TOTC hook and 2 Brains Barn hooks that I LOVE. :hook I say wood all the way. :cheer

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I actually like my acrylic hooks, with a few reservations. One, the smaller hooks can be kinda flimsy, and yes, I have broken one. But, it was the hook I used the most, so it got a lot more wear than the others. Second, you have to watch the sizes. An aluminum N hook and an acrylic N are not the same size. That being said, I really like the acrylics (but not the hollow-feeling plastic ones).

I have a couple of wooden hooks, but wasn't much impressed. Maybe I just got a cheap set... Anyway, the yarn didn't slide across them very well (a problem I've never had with my acrylics).

I also use aluminum hooks pretty regularly, depending on the project in hand. They're fine with, say, Caron Simply Soft, but I don't much like using them with RHSS....they don't seem to slide as well.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

ditto to what most say about the Crystalites. they have a rubby, squeaky feel against the acrylic yarns that i mostly use.

I like my aluminum Boye's just fine. I did notice that the N they make says it is 9.00 which is nonstandard, and actually looks more like the size L plastic one.

still looking for a nice, accurately sized aluminum set L - P. I spent a while searching the net last night and could not find. pm me if you know of one, please. thanks! -j

just found the big aluminums i was looking for at jo-anns. The Sensations hooks in aluminum were found tucked in a tall skinny rack and the aisle end, away from the other hooks. $1.99 each. i prefer the feel of cool smooth aluminum. I found size L, M, & N yaaay

I guess a P hook aluminum would be too heavy unless the core was hollow, and I don't think crochet is going to get high-tech in my lifetime. Titanium hooks anyone? :)

I love, love, love Susan Bates Silvalume aluminum hooks and wish they came in larger sizes. :manyheart I love the way the head is shaped, it glides through the yarn loops so easily. I have a really tough time with Boye aluminum hooks, though, they tend to split the yarn, aargh.

For above 6.5mm I have to use plastic. With acrylic yarn, this creates that awful grabby vibration/low-grade squeaking.

I like the idea of wood but haven't found ones that like. I need a wide, flat plate in the middle of the shaft to hold onto (like with aluminum hooks), and they don't make wood hooks like that. Plus the birch hooks I have don't grab the yarn as securely or slide through the yarn that well. I'd love to try a Jimbo hook, but can't see putting out $45-60 to bid on one hook.

I really like the crystallites, but I think they are acrylic as opposed to plastic because I don't like other plastic hooks. I have some aluminum that are okay, but they make my hand tired. Have never tried wood, but I would like to.

I only have aluminum. I'd love to at least try wood, but my hooks tend to grow feet. If every child who insists upon hooking in this house had their own complete set of hooks to work with, and weren't constantly trying to 'borrow' mine, then I would try wood and even switch if I found I liked them. But, I'm constantly having to replace hooks, so I stick with aluminum.

Dh made the mistake of buying me plastic last year. That lasted 2 days before I decided the sailor mouth didn't belong around the kids and tossed the hook in the trash. It was too light and didn't fit right in my hand. It kept snagging. And, it didn't glide at ALL, even when it wasn't techniquely snagging. BLECH. Even the 8 yo refused to use that plastic hook. Its since gone the way of the lost and found pile, never to be used again.

Hi, I am a metal person. I love my Q(wooden) for the airy shawls I do but don't give me a plastic hook ever and expect me to be happy with it. NiYa

I pretty much use only plastic; the oil from my skin mixes with aluminum and darkens yarn; wood just feels icky. I have trouble with any brand plastic that I use because I crochet so much. Inevitably they break, snap off at the stress point. But they allow me to crochet quickly and easily, so that's my personal choice.

I know from teaching classes that the choice of hook can make or break a crocheter. To each his own is really the rule. If you're having trouble, try a different type, it will probably make all the difference. I've had students who just couldn't manipulate the yarn with a certain type of hook, who had great success when they switched.

Archived