WOOD, ALUMINUM OR PLASITC, which is it??

Hi there!

I've always used wooden hooks and sometimes aluminum, but out curiousity .....how "do you like" the feel of PLASTIC when crocheting your projects. I keep saying, I'll buy one soon, but I already have all the hooks I need, so I avoid it and buy yarn instead! ;)

Does it hurt your fingers after long usage, ....or basially which is your

favorite and why??

Thankyou friends:hug

Cinlee

:) Hi Cinlee ~ I don't have any wooden crochet hooks (although I adore my wooden knitting needles). I much prefer the plastic ones to the metal. The yarn seems to glide more freely with the plastic. Have fun experimenting! Maybe I'll buy a wooden one next.:think

Well, I mainly use the wooden hooks because they have such a warm feeling to the touch and they are less heavy while I crochet and my hand doesn't seem to get so tired out while I'm crocheting. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the aluminum also though, they slide nicely and I seem to go faster, but they're a bit heavier so my hand tires out faster too!

I'm wondering now, whats the big difference between the bamboo and the basic wood? :think Do you know?

Cinlee

I want to try the wooden ones but have so many metal that I have to stop my self from buying more hooks, I don't like the plastic ones very much. I figure the if I refrain from buying more hooks I can buy more yarn.:clap

i'm in love with my jimbo hooks! they're just incredible.

I have the bright plastic hooks in the larger sizes and i HATE them. They snag and I have to fub them down with wax paper every 5 minutes - ugh.

I also have those tunisian hooks with the cables on them - those are just awful and cheaply made.

I have a few of the white plastic Bates hooks and those slide really well. I really, really like those. I was thinking about eventually getting a complete set in the white plastic - I can crochet for a lot longer without my hands getting tired than I can with the aluminum - go figure.

I also have a couple of the Lion Brand hooks F and G and the'e very slick but entirely to bendable. they use that as a selling poiny but if I'm using an F on Peaches and Cream - a bendable hook is just aggravating.

But - everyone has their personal favorites. For the dollar and change I think it's worth trying out different types. If I don't like it it goes into the 'teach someone to crochet' and give them a hook to take home coffee cup.

I have one wooden hook (a Jimbo hook) that is wonderful, but most of my hooks are steel (for thread) and aluminum...I do have some plastic hooks and crystalites (I think that's what they are called...) The cyrstalites are okay, but man I don't like the other plastic hooks...I really don't. I don't remember what brand I have, but they are white and seem rather "flimsy..." But I have them for traveling...

I think the bamboo hooks are slick and they don't seem to need the finish on them.

Aluminum hooks make my hands hurt even though that is all I used for eons. I just couldn't afford nicer ones.

I had one plastic Q hook and it snagged so badly it went to the trash after about 10 minutes of use. I even tried to file that one to make it smoother to no avail. Then I talked hubby into making me one from some scrap wooden dowels he had here. (it didn't require the lathe to make since it was already round)

After many tries with wooden hooks I finally got the first one I adored from a swap partner. Then I found some on ebay that I liked also. And next thing I know I had talked hubby into making me some. Well after he got the tool to make them he fiddled with just handles for my thread hooks and size F and below. Then he got brave and made me the rest of a whole set of wood for me. I don't use anything else now other than either all wood or wooden handles for the smaller ones. The wood ones are larger in the handle and hubby made them to fit my hand and grip style. They don't get cold and the best part is that I know hubby loved me enough to make them for me. That he even went outside of his boundaries of woodworking (which are quite excellent anyway) to learn a new trade with the lathe to make something for me that will last a lifetime and them some.

I'm basically opposed to anything but wood, unless it's going in my "cool and unique" hook collection (where it won't be used).

I really like wood hooks. I don't have any of the 'fancy' ones... yet! I have a couple of sets of bamboo hooks and also a couple of the Moez hooks, which I really, really like. I find the wood hooks lighter and easier on my hands. They seem to get smoother with a lot of use.

I just don't like the feel of the plastic hooks, and the aluminum hooks tend to be heavy.

Joan

I REALLY don't like plastic hooks - they snag, they break easy, I think they are a pain.

I like metal crochet hooks, and wooden knitting needles (bamboo preferably.)

HOWEVER, I just won a new Jimbo hook and could not be more excited to try a wooden crochet hook. It's a size L (I love the instant gratification of a big hook). I'll let you know how it goes.

I have mostly used aluminum and have alot of them. Since that is mostly what I have used, I can't tell if I like them better than other kinds. I have recently started having pain in my wrist, so I guess it could be time to experiment with something else. I didn't realize the aluminum was actually heavier than other hooks.

I have tried the crystalites and some plastics for travel, and they are ok.

I would LOVE to have some nice wooden hook, but I never know what size to get since I make projects using different size hooks.

If given a choice, I will choose WOOD every time. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to :sigh use metal or plastic to do a project. But I pick wood first!!

I get tendonitis in my crochet hand so I stay with either clover soft touch or wood hooks that warms in my hand. I did buy a clover lite hook recently that is plastic but it has the handle similar to clover soft touch hooks so far it's fine in my hand so far & I like it. I dislike using metal or aluminum unless there is a handle grip on them. I am thinking about making grips for my inexpensive bamboo hooks. I love the thread hook grips I've made with eraser clay. I don't work with thread much but when I do I always use a grip handled hook.

I love aluminum hooks. I love the way the Susan Bates hooks glide through the work. I wish they were a little longer but they are my favorites. I know, they are about as basic as they get!

I like bamboo hooks but not as much as aluminum. I don't know why. They work up just as nicely. I think I like how the aluminum feels cool when I first pick it up.

The only plastic hooks I've used are the crystalics (sp?). They are awful. I bought them to take on an airplane and never picked them up again. They snag and pull and the seam of the hook irritates my finger. I'm sure that a higher quality hook would be nice a slick. I just never bothered to buy any others.

I have never used a wooden hook but I admire the beatuiful carved ones on the internet all the time!

I prefer aluminium. I have some wooden hooks, but I'm too scared to use them! I'm afraid they'll break.

As for plastic, the ones I've used glide really easily, but I found one problem. On a large heavy project, I found that as I crocheted, the hook would heat up from the friction and get notches around the body where they loops of the crocheting went.

I once made an afghan in a 7mm plastic hook (at the time we couldn't get 7mm in aluminium) and I went through no less than 5 hooks on the one project because they kept warping. I've still got a couple that are all mangled because of it.

warpedhook.jpg

You can see in the above picture what kept happening to my hooks. That ridge a couple of cms down from the hook itself was awful to work with. The yarn would fall in there and get stuck.

I prefer aluminum (Susan Bates) for acrylic projects. Acrylic and bamboo for some reason seems snaggy to me and the yarn doesn't slide very well. For wool and cotton I prefer bamboo. It just glides off the hook. :) I have some of the clear plastic ones (crystalites) and do not like them at all. THey are too slick for me. I do have one white plastic hook (Joanns brand) that is actually pretty good. I needed a 4.5mm size for a project and JA didn't have it in bamboo or aluminum so that was my only choice. It works great though.

Well, it seems like down to the nitty gritty of things Wooden comes first and aluminum second..... I guess I'm not going to try the plastic after all, lol. "Almost" everyone seem to snag, break, and not be to happy with their plastic. Besides, I have all wood and aluminum, so I'd better be happy and enjoy them.

My favorites are the wooden, because they're lighter and my hands hurt less, but the aluminum have me gliiiide a lot faster....But my wooden are in their little precious pouch...heh heh.

Cinlee

LOVE my wooden Jimbo hooks, I have two. Also remember when your buying hooks, especially off e-bay or on line, look at them carefuly, many of the cheep wooden hooks don't have the finger/thumb rest. I HATE the plain round ones with no gripper as I call it. So just an FYI, read closely what you are buying if you cant inspect it in person.

And my wonderful freind sent me a steel 7 hook that has a WONDERFUL wooden handle her dear husband made just for me, I use it for EVERY thread crochet project I make, I PRAY I never wear the steel tip off....what would I do??/

I like Susan Bates aluminum hooks. Plastic is okay as long as they are made well. I tend not to like wood, because the ends are too pointed, but it all depends on who makes them; I probably just haven't found a good one. :)

Susan Bates Silvalume hooks are my first choice though they seem to top out at a size "K". I don't like the Boye hooks - they don't seem to be as slick as the Bates. While I LOVE using the Crystalite knitting needles, I dislike using the Crystalite hooks - the yarn seems to drag on them. I've tried a bamboo hook but found it too flexible for me. I really want to try the Susan Bates Quicksilver hooks (plastic) but they're hard to come by. I have a Quicksilver afghan hook and it's smooth as can be. The yarn just floats off it. I've not tried any wood hooks (yet?).

Archived