1. 1. who do you crochet for the most

• to sell
    • give as gifts
    • myself

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet for gifts and charity. Things like hats and scarves, baby blankets, and granny afghans. I have very little of what I have made except a few afghans. I don't wear crochet, mostly because I can't make anything that complicated!! I'm going to make myself a crocheted purse one of these days. I've always wanted one! :hook

Most of my crocheting is done for my daughters, or else if friends have a child or one on the way, I make sure to make them a little something =)

I have been thinking lately about selling crocheted baby items, but don't see much demand on the internet. Was thinking of maybe crocheting for a year and racking up a lot of things and setting up at a craft fair. Would probably be my best bet =)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Most of mine are donated to domestic violence center, E.R., nursing home. When I retired a couple of years ago I didn't want to volunteer where I had to be in a certain place at a certain time, so figured this is the best of both worlds. It's worked out very well and I have total flexibility.

I crochet for other people as gifts, and some for charity, and on rare occasions for myself. About every 10th project is something for me, but I've recently lost a lot of weight, so some lucky person is going to get some handmade sweaters soon.

It is almost a two-way tie for me. Gifts or self. I don't sell any made stuff. Right now, around the holidays, it's mainly gifts. that WIP sweater will eventually be for me...if it's on hold too much longer it might become a UFO (thanks holiday :hooking) I voted for gifts, because I think I give away more than I keep, even if I count by hours worked. :lol

• 3 weeks later...

I've crocheted for all...myself, for gifts and to sell. But it has been a long time since I have sold anything. I'm in the process of figuring out how I can help others. I would love to help others out or to just spring a little something in the mail. I am looking into staring a donation box and crocheting gifts for next year christmas. Just hoping it all works out for me. lol.

I crochet a lot of baby afghans. I try to keep at least several made in different colors at all times, so I have the for gifts. I also try to keep several white ones in different patterns. I like baby ones as they are so easy to take along.

Why isn't there a button for Mom? She always, always, always asks for a crocheted doily for Mother's Day and her birthday. Outside that, I always crochet for myself, then write that pattern out and sell it. ha ha. Naw, I crochet for my friends, too.

I like to think that I crochet for me, but in truth, I only have two pieces right at the moment in my house that I crocheted, and those my hubby's round ripple afghan that I made him last summer and my everyday shawl. Oh, and a few cat toys. But everything else I have made has been given to others. Even things that I made for myself and fully intended to keep, I ended up giving away. Last Christmas I made nine shawls in nine days for women here who fell in love with the one I made for the other manager. We had our Christmas party on the 15th of December, and I gave her the shawl I had made for her, and everyone went nuts and wanted one. So every day for the next nine days I churned out another shawl for someone else. When the holidays were over, I finally found the time to make one for myself, however this last fall I had it in the lobby with me one Sunday morning, and one of our guests saw it and went crazy over it when she saw it. She asked me where I had gotten it from, because she had always wanted a shawl, and this one was made out of a very fluffy, VERY soft chenille, it's SO cozy! I told her that I had made it, and she went crazier still, saying that she LOVES handmade items and it's so rare today to find people who do their own crocheting and knitting. We chatted for about 20 minutes about crocheting, and I did what I always do. I handed her the shawl and said, "Here. You can have this if you'd like it." She grabbed me in a hug that I thought would paralyze me and put it right on. Never mind that it was 90 degrees outside, and I had only brought it to work because the air conditioner vents are right over my head and I get chilly from time to time because of that. She wore it back to her room in all that heat and humidity, she liked it that much. I ended up making myself another one, and this one is staying with me. I promised myself I wouldn't give away another one of my shawls. I made it a lot bigger and cozier just to make it more appealing to myself so I'd be SURE not to give it away! :lol

I suppose my New Year's resolution, or at least one of them, should be that I will make more things for myself this year. I really like having the things I've made around the house, it just never works out that they end up staying here! :)

Elle

There is no button for me. I crochet for the sake of crocheting. I may sell the patterns. I may give away the products or keep them. But the reason first and for-most I crochet is I love the art form.

So I crochet for no one in particular really. I just crochet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little of everything. I crochet a lot to sell, but I also make things as gifts and for myself. I just finished a looooong scarf for myself and then made one in a different colour for my daughter-in-law. I'm currently working on a kid's scarf made from yarn that I found in a liquidation store. Don't know yet if I'll sell it or give it away.

Now that I think about this it seems I do a lot for myself, and baby gifts (afghans mainly).....I did start to make more things for gifts but still get the urge to make one of everything for myself, but I just don't have the space so this forces me to only make to for gifts.....I really would like to get into making stuff for charity and eventually to sell.....someday!

Archived