What about Connecticut??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like avon is the closet group to manchester...anythoughts on where and when you would start one in the Manchester area?

Well I think that the best way to go about it is to join the SnB new haven board and ask if any one who lives in the manchester area is interested in having a SnB closer than Avon. I dont know why the Hartford one meets in avon and the avon one meets in a different city!! :think

After you find out if anyone is interested, someone would have to start a yahoo group and all the people interested in your area could sign up. You would have to find a spot to have the group meet in your area. A coffee shop or a book store. You would probably have to make sure that they would allow you to take up tables for about 2 hours. Most places that sell food or drink would probably ask that people buy something. Than you need a day of the week that everyone wants to meet on and a time. The one that I have gone to (once!! :angry after that things just never seem to work out so that i can go again!) meets thursdays at 7:00 p.m. I am sure that you will be able to find at least one other person who would like to meet up with you. I think that tweety256 said that she would be interested in having a meet up. I look forward to see what happens. good luck.

Maybe we could come up with a once a month meeting that everyone in connecticut can go to maybe on a saturday afternoon?? :hook

I think a once a month meeting for all the nutmeggers sounds like a great idea! I would love to meet more than that, but I'm pretty busy on any given week, and am out of town alot...therefore I would not be a good candidate to organize such a thing....but I throw this idea out for anyone who's interestedin organizing.

We could move around so people aren't driving too far all the time....

We have a chapter of the CGOA that meets in Danbury the second Sunday of each month. I don't know how far that is from Manchester. We also meet the first Wednesday of the month at Borders in Danbury. Let me know if you want more into. Also I know there are some other CGOA chapters that are starting up in Ct. You might want to visit the CGOA website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Seems that most of you guys are a good hour/hour and a half from me, lol! I'm almost to the RI border. This state doesn't seem all that large, but with gas prices so high, in the three years I've been here I have not seen a lot of this state. We're getting ready to move this winter though.

There is a yarn shop called Yarns Down Under off of exit 69 on I-95, they have a website. I get emails from them, but have not visited their store yet. Also, there is Mystic River Yarns in Mystic near the draw bridge. Do you guys go to the Rag Shop craft store? I've been wanting to visit there, but the nearest one is in Waterbury. You are lucky, up in Manchester, you have a JoAnn Etc. store, which carries so many things.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You can go to this page for the yahoo group Stitch and Bitch New Haven. They have links to other SnB groups in CT. You can look and see if there is one by you! If not try starting your own if you see some people on Crochetville that are in your area.

Does anyone from the 'ville attend these functions? Just curious? I am from the new haven-ish area too. I was tempted to go. Not sure though.

Tricia,

Thanks for the link - I had no idea there was a group in the next town. I've never been to a function like this, but am willing to try it.

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the forums and I know it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I'll give it a shot. I moved to the New Haven area recently and not long after got a job at a local yarn shop :c9. They've been trying to start up a crochet group to meet a couple times a month, but we haven't seen much interest. If any of you are interested, drop me a line!

We have several yarn shops here and close to Meriden. In Meriden there is a Michael's and also the Yarn Gardenhttp://www.yarngardenllc.com/ and close by in Wallingford is Country Yarns http://www.countryarns.com/

I like Yarn Garden , they have beautiful yarns for reasonable prices as well as some of the more expensive brands and are very helpful. Country yarns is more expensive but the place is huge with a very very large selection of yarns, check out the websites for both for directions and phone numbers.

Wendyb532

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Bristol and I work in New Britian. There are actually several of us centrally located (Hartford area) we could start our own "Hook and Happenings" group. There is a SnBNew Britain group, but I have never gone. The moderator used to be on the 'ville but is no longer. I went to a good yarn shop in Coventry today. We were on our way back from Putnam and I'd looked up shops on the way. It was called The Nifty Knitter. There were several people from the Hartford area there. The store was crochet friendly. She has a few crocheted things up and the owner - priscilla knew how to crochet. I don't think it had quite as much yarn as Sit and Knit and definetly not as much as Hither and Yarn in Torrington. But it was very friendly and the prices were reasonable, although I did spend $92 on one skein:( DH picked out!!!

I'm definitely interested in a Hartford area group, maybe start a CGOA chapter. Funny, I was just thinking of this yesterday. There are three chapters in CT but they're all at least an hour or so from me and I believe one of them meets during the week day (which is no good for me either 'cause I work). It'll certainly be interesting to see how many express an interest to start up a Hartford area group.

Im in Bristol too. Sometimes i work until 5, or 730 a few days... we could get together once a week or so. heres a general availablity for me:

Sun varies, anytime or after 5

mon, tues, thurs after 5

wed friday after 730

sat- varies anytime or after 5

Anyone got some meet ideas?

I'd like to find a group that meets north of Hartford. Now that I'm older, I hate having to drive all over he** to get somewhere. I'm in the Farmington Valley. Even if the group was knitters and crocheters, that would be okay, as I do both.

• 5 weeks later...

So has anyone started one??? I teach and since it is getting toward the end of the school year, I will be really busy. But I am interested. I'm gonna through it out... Do you all want to meet at the Borders in Farmington by the mall??? It seems around 7 or on a weekend would be best. Any ideas???

Also there is a Connecticut Crochet group on Yahoo. They don't post alot, but are very friendly. Most are located in the southern part of our state. I just went to the fiber show this weekend in Tolland and met a few. It was alot of fun.

Archived