KnicKnac

Can Acrylic Yarn Be Starched?

10 posts in this topic

I am working on something, and I would like for it to hold it's shape. It is an item that will not have to be washed so I don't need to worry about that. But since it's acrylic and not cotton, can it be starched and it work? Will it ruin the fiber? I just want it a little stiff, not a hard stiff. Does that even make sense?

I wouldn't want to iron it cause of the heat. You could try to make a small swatch and spray it and let it dry and see while you are still working on the project.

[quote name='sfgwife']I wouldn't want to iron it cause of the heat. You could try to make a small swatch and spray it and let it dry and see while you are still working on the project.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I've had success ironing acrylic knitwear using a hot iron over brown paper on top of the piece -- it's a tip I read many years ago in a UK machine knitting magazine. I suspect in the US "brown paper" is probably called something different and more sensible :) but it's just the plain, brown stuff you use to wrap up parcels for the mail.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining anyone's masterpiece, so if you try it please do a test swatch first! I'd be interested though to hear if anyone does try it and whether it works for you.

Smiles,[/FONT]

I am going to make a small swatch and test it. I was just curious if the starch would hurt the fibers.

I wasn't planning on ironing it, just stiffening it with liquid starch.

I will let you know!

what about other stiffeners like modge podge?

I hadn't thought of those Sofia. Does that have the ability to be thinned? I don't want it rock hard, I just want it to hold it's shape.

I recently tried starching acryllic. It didnt work for me.
However, I did not use any paper over it.
That may make a difference!

re modge podge, yes I know you can thin it
In my case I just kept "painting" over the fabric until it was a stiff as I needed it.
It was a small bookmark, but it did seem to work. It was still flexible but definitely held its shape.

Thank you Sofia, I am going to the craft store tomorrow and I will give it a try!