Recommend a style of Wooden Hook

I have been drooling :drool over all the beautiful wooden hooks available. They have so many different shapes I have been a little hesitant to buy any. I hold my hook like a pencil. Does anyone have any suggestions which shape would work best for me? :confused I'm afraid to spend the money and then fins out I don't like to use it. :eek

I adore the Ozarktwist hooks that are sold on ebay (seller: papadonh). They also do special orders. The hooks are Boye-ish.

By far the best wooden hooks available are from Jimbo here on the Ville. They are available by auction and he's always putting up a new 'block' of hooks.

I prefer wood hooks and have several different types including Graydog, Vermont Woodworks, Brittany, bamboo and some unidentified.

Graydog and Vermont Woodworks are finely finished hooks and consistenly reliable in their quality.

Bamboo hooks are very reliable and 'true to size' - also fairly inexpensive to buy a complete set.

Brittany and Surina hooks are nice, though the decorative end can be annoying when crocheting quickly on a repetative stitch.

Jimbo hooks are shaped to your hand (how he knows one hand from the other, :think I don't know!) but they are very comfortable, strong and beautiful.

Happy Hooking!

I have Surina wood hooks (it's a wood from India) and they're great. I got them at a very reasonable price for wood hooks at theredbarnfarm on ebay. The hooks they sell are plain on the ends...not carved at all and I really like that. And the hook ends are Bates-ish, which is what I :heart.

I have two from Brain's Barn and one from Turn of the Century. Brain's Barn are my very favorite. I hold my hook overhand, like a steak knife - they have a couple of different style handles that they recommend depending on your grip.

I have 2 Moez hooks

( http://www.moezunlimited.com/get-hooked.html)

and I like them because they are very smooth and very light weight. The smallest hook they make is a size L. I have that one and the next largest in the 9" length, which is actually an afghan hook, but I use it as my regular size L hook because I like a hook that doesn't end in the middle of my palm.

They are not particularly decorative but I find them very comfortable.

Joan

I have a TOTC and a DODO's design. The second doesn't seem to make them any more. I hold my hook like you do.

I like the feel of the TOTC. I also have one made by Needlesandpinza. She made me a 4.50mm that is good.:hook

Thank you all for the many great ideas and sites to check out. I have pretty much decided I need a Jimbo hook. I need to save my pennies so I can bid on one. Of course I want ALL of the incredible things I have seen. Thanks again for all the great advice. :hug:manyheart

:) Hello to every one, I use to hold my hook like a pencil also but I started having cramping in my hands and thumbs due to Carpal tunnel so made my self hold it differently to help with the cramping. :hook:yarn I like the wood hooks on the way they look and I am hesitant in buying some because I am afraid I might not like them if they don't slide as easily as the boye or bates but do they slide very easily? any suggestions on a site to buy reasonable priced plain wood hooks? :manyheart Thanks in advance.

:rose Lynne

I like the wood hooks on the way they look and I am hesitant in buying some because I am afraid I might not like them if they don't slide as easily as the boye or bates but do they slide very easily? any suggestions on a site to buy reasonable priced plain wood hooks?

Try searching for Bamboo Crochet Hooks on ebay. I really like mine. I think the yarn glides smoothly and they are very light weight, which I feel helps prevent my hands from getting tired and cramping. They seem to get smoother with use. To begin with, I just rubbed some waxed paper over them, but I only needed to do that once.

I can't compare them to the Jimbo hooks or the other hand carved hooks, since I don't have any of them. But to just give them a try, the bamboo ones are fairly reasonable.

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, thank you guys for your kind words. Its a real honor to find that folks rank my hooks up there with the big boys. I'm flattered humbled, honored, and getting a swelled head again.

Thanks!

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo. How did you get started carving the hooks? What is the best kind of wood to start with while you're learning? Thankyou for any advice about getting started.

Archived