Happy Cable Socks -Pattern Link in 1st post

laureni526

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very pretty.... I haven't made socks for myself yet, but plan to at some point. Do the cables feel funny on your feet? Can you feel it? I'd imagine you could feel it with shoes? Just curious as I haven't tried it yet. Thanks!

Very pretty.... I haven't made socks for myself yet, but plan to at some point. Do the cables feel funny on your feet? Can you feel it? I'd imagine you could feel it with shoes? Just curious as I haven't tried it yet. Thanks!

I like the feeling of cables on my feet. They are kind of massaging. But I will confess I have not worn the socks all day yet (I've worn them for about 4 hrs at the most), so I can't tell you if they annoy after a while. (It's too warm here now for socks).

If you are unsure about having cables on the bottom of your feet, the alternative is to replace the stitches on the bottom side of the foot with regular dcs across. I would recommend converting the first 2 full pattern repeats [bpdc (fpdc, bpdc) twice, cable or cable twist] and the next [bpdc (fpdc, bpdc) twice] to dcs. That would nicely frame the sides of your foot with cables and you would still have the 2 cables on top of your foot.

The best way to make sure your socks are working for your feet is to try them on. I have a size 8 1/2 or 9 foot (depending on the brand) with a high arch and instep. That's why I needed the increases before the heel. You may not need those either.

Socks can be tricky. You need to make them comfortable for you. I love the cables on the bottom of my feet - but it may not work for you.

• 3 weeks later...

My socks are on hold until I receive the other hank of STR yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. I've started above the heel on both, but just a few rows and haven't started the actual heels at all. (Photos on my blog if you're interested.)

I just couldn't bring myself to finish the pair with something other than the colorful, comfy yarn with which I started them, so I sucked up the cost and bought more yarn. These will be the most expensive socks I've ever owned!!

Archived