Illusion Scarf?

disneypal

Has anyone every made an illusion scarf?

I was looking for a crochet scarf pattern for another crochetville member and happened upon this scarf.

http://magknits.com/Dec06/patterns/counterpoint.htm

It is so cool and I've wanted to try making an illusion scarf but I'm a little nervous about trying it.

I wonder if any of you have tried one before an if so, how difficult is it - the web site says beginner to intermediate.

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

No, I don't try it either. Look so fun to try!

I googled some links about illusion knitting:

http://www.freshislefibers.com/Patterns/shadowknittinglinks.htm (seem like a good reference page)

http://designsbyblackdog.blogspot.com/2006/09/illusions-i-love-cables-i-really-do.html (look like actual cables, but they aren't)

If you really want to try it, why not hosting an Illusion Knitting KAL? ;) If so, I will join in while I made some coasters for my dad's birthday in July.

Oh wow, Diane! Thanks for the links - very helpful. I printed out those tutorials.

I * might * host a KAL but I want to attempt it first just to see if I can actually understand the basics of how to do it. :knit If so, then I will host one.

Thanks again for the links - I think they will be very helpful (that alien one is cool!!)

Yeah, the alien one rocks! I have to get SnB book for that pattern.

When I have spare time and no WIPs/new projects that need my immediate attention (yeah right!), I will try a sample myself. If I am able to do it, I will love to co host the KAL if you want.

Keep me posted!

There was a Knitty Gritty episode on this a few months ago. I think it is a really neat technique. I practiced it with some scrap yarn after seeing the show just to see what it was like. It does take some thought at first to figure out what you're supposed to do on each row, but once you get the hang of it, no problem - just knits and purls like normal. I haven't actually made a full project with this yet, but hope to in the future once I finish some of the things I have going right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Look like a lot of scarfs and few sweaters using this technique. I wonder what else can we make with Illusion Knitting ?

I did see a really cute dishcloth on that page

http://www.freshislefibers.com/Patterns/shadowknittinglinks.htm

It is a Candy corn http://www.knittingknonsense.com/candycorn_illusion.html

:hook

FYI

I noticed that the Knitty Gritty episode about Illusion knitting will be on 06/11/07; 2 pm EST; HGTV

I set my TiVo to record it - then maybe I will finally give it a try

Athba, I would try to explain what it is. but it's almost 3 am for me. Way past my bedtime. I will describe it better when I am more awake. :) I promise you!

I found some good small projects that I can try with this technique, possible a harry potter purse (with a Dark Mark chart). http://www.freewebs.com/theloveplant/knitting/darkmarkbag.html

I checked Knitty Gritty episodes on TVGuide.com. I found out that they taped it on mondays at 7 am for my location. I don't see the episode for illusion scarf for last monday (different episode on that day). What is the name of episode, "3D scarves" ( as I assumed?) ?

Disneypal, Any luck with the episode ? I will try to do this technique in July, once I get some small WIPs out of the way (using Sky CAL).

what is Illusion knitting ???

i know i sound selly sorry :think

Basically if you look at it in 1 direction you see stripes; you turn it, and see a design from another angle :) Check out some of the pattern links on that page I linked above and you will see

Originally Posted by q8_crochet viewpost.gif

what is Illusion knitting ???

i know i sound silly sorry

You don't sound silly! As Mermaiden said, if you check out some of the links she posted on page 1, you will get a better idea as to what it is. Basically you knit something (like a scarf) and when you view it head on, it looks like a typical scarf but when you view it at an angle, you will see a hidden design.

I found some good small projects that I can try with this technique, possible a harry potter purse (with a Dark Mark chart). http://www.freewebs.com/theloveplant...rkmarkbag.html

I checked Knitty Gritty episodes on TVGuide.com. I found out that they taped it on mondays at 7 am for my location. I don't see the episode for illusion scarf for last monday (different episode on that day). What is the name of episode, "3D scarves" ( as I assumed?) ?

Disneypal, Any luck with the episode ? I will try to do this technique in July, once I get some small WIPs out of the way (using Sky CAL).

Hey, thanks for the heads up on the CAL that you posted over here. I haven't watched the entire episode yet, just the first 5 minutes to make sure it was that episode. It recorded okay and the name of the show is called "Illusion Knitting" - it is a 2004 episode. The one I recorded was on DIY network at 2 pm (EST) on 06/11. I don't know if they are repeating it soon. On my TiVo right now, it just says "Knitty Gritty" but no descriptions are listed (like they usually are).

I really want to try this technique (that Dark Mark you pick out to perhaps try it with is cool!!!), but since I'm not an expert knitter, I'm almost afraid to try it, but they said it is good for beginners, you only need to know how to knit and purl. Maybe after I watch the episode, I won't be too afraid to give it a try.

I just went to DIYnetwork.com and found a video for Illusion Knitting. (Although I have dial up so won't be watching it on MY computer ;) )

Here is the link

• 2 weeks later...

Back home from San Francisco. :)

Last week, I decide to play with illusion knitting once I saw the book, "Shadow Knitting" by Vivian Hoxbro. Of course I have to buy it for my pattern books collection. :D

Anyway, I am halfway done with the pot holder where pattern is in the book. I still have problems with the edges where the color changes occur. After watching the link that Disneypal shared in above post. I can see where I did wrong. Thanks for the link!

I hope to finish this pot holder by next week. I planned to post a pic of the pot holder once finished.

Any interest for doing the shadow knitting KAL ? I do have a simple pattern in mind which can be good practice for beginners. It will not be same one as I am doing now. If there are enough people interested in the KAL, I need to experiment with this pattern. I can host the KAL in Aug/Sept when people are back from summer vacations.

Oohh, how was San Francisco? I love that place. I've often said if I had to live anywhere else besides where I live now, that I would like to live in San Francisco. I haven't been in a long time and really want to go back for another visit.

I'm glad to hear that your pot holder is coming along. I haven't heard of the book "Shadow Knitting" - I will have to check that out. I cannot hardly wait to see your potholder. That is a great idea to start with something that size (I keep thinking I have to tackle a scarf but a potholder would be a much more managable size).

I would be interested in a KAL if you want to host it (as long as it is in Sept. as you mentioned - I don't think I will have much time to knit until then) - great idea!!

I'll be keeping an eye out for your picture - good luck with completing :cheer

I like the illusion knitting for something different. I have made a butterfly illusion (pattern was from a group that I belong to) from acrylic yarn and use as a runner. It is funny when some people realize that the picture is gone when they view it directly above the runner. I sent my niece a dishcloth that was a cat. She loves cats and when I called her, she said it sort of looked like a cat. I could tell she was trying not to hurt my feelings. So I told her to look at it from a distance and she got so excited that she now shows everyone. I want to make her the illusion cat scarf with glasses for xmas.

I have seen a really cute illusion hearts toddler sweater but I can't remember where I saw it. I could probably find it again if anyone is interested.

• 1 month later...

I am back! I managed to finish my illusion potholder as promised. :)

Here is the direct link to my FO: http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u190/tahlara_photos/Illusion%20KAL/

Potholder from "Shadow Knitting" using Lion Brand Cotton, bamboo needles - 7/4.5mm, the overall size is about 10" square.

I will make a mystery pattern for the KAL. I will be out of town for Labor Day weekend. Anyone want to try it out? I can start offically on September 15th or so. That way, people have time to settle down and get what they need to do the pattern. :yes

Archived