Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

hello darski, thanks for the warm welcome. the total for all skeins would be 15+ oz. place mat, yea, guess i could do that. but i have hope there might be something a little more useful i could get excited about....i have a new book of stitches coming this week from Amazon, maybe something will strike me as different to at least make an exciting place mat :yay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hello darski, thanks for the warm welcome. the total for all skeins would be 15+ oz. place mat, yea, guess i could do that. but i have hope there might be something a little more useful i could get excited about....i have a new book of stitches coming this week from Amazon, maybe something will strike me as different to at least make an exciting place mat :yay

I like your attitude girl :cheer

Hello Everyone....I've been lurking almost since the beginning and I think I'm now ready to commit! I bought yarn specifically for this CAL (ok, it was on sale for 97 cents and couldn't pass it up but thought it would work well for this technique)...i have three skeins each of Patons Astra in white, lavendar and bright pink...in hindsight, should have also gotten the light pink but now its all gone. So I started doing a straight ripple over the weekend, about 36" in pattern and started to realize that with the yarn i have, it's barely going to be bigger than a placemat. darn. i thought of doing a round ripple but don't know if i have enough for that either. any suggestions of a pattern for my 5.25 oz of three colors?

Welcome aboard, Nance! What about a scarf with what you have?

Just a quick note... the link to Chromekitty's ghan in the first post is no longer working, i tried twice... Ok let's say it is not working for me. Other's mileage may vary :wlol

Hi Nancy :clap Welcome to the Van Gogh CAL Nance!:welcome

I did the very same thing .. bought my first bunch of yarn so I could try this technique loved it and went back and no deal, they were out of some of the colors. So, I bought a bunch of different colors and my plan is to make a block granny afghan with this blending van gogh technique and see if it looks decent enough for a gift.. its the only thing I could think of to do, and it is actually turning out pretty.. I went greens and purples and oh will post when I am done. I love the way the colors shade and blend. :yes

Jill, greens and purples are my new favorite color combos - unfortunately no one I'm making a gift for seems to think so - so I'll gift myself somewhere down the road!!:D

:lol Judy.. I know.. well the thought of some of those shades together still make me c r i n g e .. but if you go with the darker to light theme, and use this very cool Van Gogh technique, you can do almost any primary color, right, and it comes out .."different" :lol but .. strangely attractive

:clap I think this one if not different will be strange though, it may end up as the guest room closet "use this if you get cold" afghan :lol (we shall see!) But so far, I think it looks kind of neat.

Jill

I know it's not friday but i wanted to get some feedback before i go any further...funny how things work out. I started a thread yesterday that i wanted to give away some thread because i really don't do anything with it very much. while i was sorting thru it to take pictures last night i thought maybe i don't want to give it away, so i got out my big book of doily patterns from the Collectible Doily Series...anyway, long story short, I'm making a "Doily-ghan" with my yarn. it's made up of eight of these motifs in a circle and filled in with a net-like pattern in the middle....it looks just beautiful in my head! might make a good size for a crib. I already know I want to do the lavendar/pink for the picot round and do the solid pink as the last part of the center fill-in. close-up

Well I got the wool and started my Van Gogh but I am not happy with it. I was using 8 ply and feel it makes the rug too thick, will have to try 4ply baby wool I think.

Is that what others are using ?

Well I got the wool and started my Van Gogh but I am not happy with it. I was using 8 ply and feel it makes the rug too thick, will have to try 4ply baby wool I think.

Is that what others are using ?

Maybe you can use a bigger hook so the stitches will be puffier? I used Caron SS for the one I made (my avatar pic) It's thinner than Red Heart.

It would work up beautifully in Baby yarn, though:c9

Maybe you can use a bigger hook so the stitches will be puffier? I used Caron SS for the one I made (my avatar pic) It's thinner than Red Heart.

It would work up beautifully in Baby yarn, though:c9

I have used a larger hook and it does look puffy but it's not really the look I want. The ones I have seen look nice and fine still.

I'm not sure what size Red Heart is. OHhhh I wish all countries used the same sizings.

Might give it a burl in baby and see how it goes.

I have used a larger hook and it does look puffy but it's not really the look I want. The ones I have seen look nice and fine still.

I'm not sure what size Red Heart is. OHhhh I wish all countries used the same sizings.

Might give it a burl in baby and see how it goes.

I believe the Red Heart - what we call 4 ply here - is called 8 ply every where else in the world!

The finer yarn would definitely be pretty - even the thin thread would make an interesting piece!

OK, if you don't mind me stepping in here (again), I have a little experience in the American to Aussie conversion... I've been getting squares from Australia for my daisy, and this is MY observation:

Australian 12-ply is quite comparable in thickness to Red Heart Super Saver. Australian 8-ply is a bit thinner, much like our Caron Simply Soft is thinner than Red Heart and is a little thicker than our sport weight. As for the other weights, I can't much help you.

I *do* hope this helps you, as people were making the squares in the 8-ply but it was too small. When they bumped up to 12ply, it worked great.

OK, if you don't mind me stepping in here (again), I have a little experience in the American to Aussie conversion... I've been getting squares from Australia for my daisy, and this is MY observation:

Australian 12-ply is quite comparable in thickness to Red Heart Super Saver. Australian 8-ply is a bit thinner, much like our Caron Simply Soft is thinner than Red Heart and is a little thicker than our sport weight. As for the other weights, I can't much help you.

I *do* hope this helps you, as people were making the squares in the 8-ply but it was too small. When they bumped up to 12ply, it worked great.

Why does everything have to be so DIFFERENT?:sigh

I have been thinking that someone did

a Round Ripple in

the Rainbow colours

in this technique.

does anyone remember this as well and if yes, can you send me to the picture?

:sigh Life is supposed to be easier as you get older. it probably would be if I could remember where I put it. :think

I have been thinking that someone did

a Round Ripple in

the Rainbow colours

in this technique.

does anyone remember this as well and if yes, can you send me to the picture?

:sigh Life is supposed to be easier as you get older. it probably would be if I could remember where I put it. :think

didn't use all of the colors of the rainbow in mine - but the pic of mine is my avatar and on my blog.

Judy your round ripple is so pretty. I was looking at the avatar (size of a postage stamp) and thinking I wonder did Judy say that was for a big bed or was that a baby ghan? so pretty..:c9

There was also a primary colors one.. Darski.. lol I can't remember who had that either. And, a very vibrant large granny given to someone's mother.. also really vibrant and pretty. :yes Am going to scan back and search because now you have me wondering. lol if I didn't write things down, I'd forget who I was, Darski, so don't feel bad.:lol

Jill, I adore that pink!!

And the rr in my avatar is big enough for a toddler - going to Project Linus when I get to drop it off.

Jill, that pink one is really pretty!

Some day I will attempt a round ripple again... I think I was confused by all the talk of increasing and decreasing. I will figure it out one day! But right now I'm busy with other stuff, so I guess it'll have to wait.

I actually managed to make some progress on the knot situation, so I may not have to cut it after all! :xfin I will post a pic soon... maybe? :think

Archived