Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the shawl Darski!

I started on my RR yesterday during a conference call here at work (ssshhhh - don't tell!) since I had to pay attention to the call and what was being said so I could not continue working on my PC, so I decided to crochet since I don't need to concentrate too much on that one!

I started on my RR yesterday during a conference call here at work (ssshhhh - don't tell!) since I had to pay attention to the call and what was being said so I could not continue working on my PC, so I decided to crochet since I don't need to concentrate too much on that one!

Very creative use of BORING time!!:D How far have you gotten?

Good Morning, everyone, Top of the Day to Ya. Got to do some cleaning and straightening today, since we're having company for supper on Friday. Don't know how much time I'll have for crochet until the weekend.

Janine - Congratulations on completing your granddaughter's blanket. Do we get to see it? Welcome to this CAL as an active Van Gogher. :welcome

Kimberly - What a great way to multi-task!:yay

Rose Red...I like the first one posted best. It is very similar to the Go for Baroque pattern in the Happy Hooker Book. I just did a rectangular shawl using that as a pattern for me to wear to my daughters wedding on Sat. I haven't taken pictures of it yet, but I plan to and then post it to my blog after all the wedding hoopla is over! Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide will be perfectly gorgeous for you!

Darski...love your shawl too!

Ok, it is crocheted and here are the pics to prove it.

VG1.jpg

I think this does get the idea of the Van Gogh technique. I might employ this method in other stuff. here is a closer look at the colours. The camera is fairly accurate - by my monitor at least

VG2.jpg

Now you get to see why I did not label this as "It is finished". I thought I was until I saw this side :wlol

VG3.jpg

And the awful truth. when you just "set" it down, you get this and not the nice tidy item in picture 1

Vg4.jpg

Before someone asks about it. I purposely did a section with hdc so that the blankie would be off centre. I think that part did work and would have been quite effective if I had kept going.

The reason I quit here is because of the waves. I like tidy and this is not it.

Darski - I love the colors - you've got the technique down now!

Not sure if you know this (please forgive if I'm telling you something you've known for YEARS, but it took me a long time to figure it out!) But if you've got wavy gravy on your afghan, you should be able to get rid of it by going down a hook.

Love the shawl and the ripple Darski! Why exactly were you trying to make it off center?

Just to see if I could. It occurred to me that it would go off centre if I made some part with hdc instead of Dc and it did do that. If I had kept going, it would have been more noticeable.

I have three colours of yarn here calling me to put them together (peach, mauve and a blue) . I might try them to see if I can learn to make a round ripple now that I have the blending thingy done.

Thanks all for the comments.

Krystal, I think it was more about too many increases rather than the hook (or just the hook). The one I have made that worked only had an increase on every other row.

just a bit of a :bump here

Have any of you seen this:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54406

...and considered trying it in this technique. I guess it would get way too big but I really love that . It just pops out and is so neat.

I think it would make me:loco

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x81/clacey817/?action=view&current=SixPointStar.jpg

Wow I just checked the link above.. that is really a wake up in the blues and lighter shades .. looks like cream .. how pretty! I love the pattern and you are right Darski this really pops out at you. This would really be the center point of a bedroom on top of a big queen bed. Gorgeous.

I am trying to crochet a dishcloth today.. that's my plan for my entire Saturday night. ooo whew!

I am trying to crochet a dishcloth today.. that's my plan for my entire Saturday night. ooo whew!

Be still my foolish :bheart

:rofl I know the feeling.

Hello Everyone....I've been lurking almost since the beginning and I think I'm now ready to commit! I bought yarn specifically for this CAL (ok, it was on sale for 97 cents and couldn't pass it up but thought it would work well for this technique)...i have three skeins each of Patons Astra in white, lavendar and bright pink...in hindsight, should have also gotten the light pink but now its all gone. So I started doing a straight ripple over the weekend, about 36" in pattern and started to realize that with the yarn i have, it's barely going to be bigger than a placemat. darn. i thought of doing a round ripple but don't know if i have enough for that either. any suggestions of a pattern for my 5.25 oz of three colors?

:welcome aboard Nance. when you say 5+ ounces of three colours, do you mean 15 ounces or only that 5 point something?

There is nothing to say that you can't make a nice placemat to learn the technique and then make a Ripple later on when you are comfortable with the colouration and blending process.

Archived