Ravelry

Pharmagurumi

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they get to me soon, I signed up a few weeks ago (maybe more than once, because I got a message that their email address wasn't accepting incoming email the first time I tried, hopefully, it didn't try to put me in twice.). EDIT: I found their lookup feature, there are 7101 people ahead of me. Ack LOL

I hope they get to me soon, I signed up months ago (maybe more than once, because I got a message that their email address wasn't accepting incoming email the first time I tried.

Go to the site and check where you are in que.. It looks like they are inviting around 200 a day...

Go here: http://www.ravelry.com/antsy

Type in your e-mail address and you can find out how far down the line you are. I signed up June 1 and I'm in. If you signed up earlier than that, you might have missed their e-mail if a spam filter ate it. But you can reclaim a missed invitation, if necessary.

I signed up July 3rd and there are 5739 people ahead of me. It looks like they're going through the list pretty quickly all things considered.

Or, I guess that could mean that a ton of people signed up between July 3rd and 5th...

Cheryl.

As awful as that sounds, they're adding about 1200 people a week. As they get moved over to and settled on a new server, they may be able to bump that speed up even more.

What you can do in the meantime: get your projects photographed and the photographs on Flickr. It's best to start a separate set of photos just for Ravelry, if you can, so you don't have to hunt through so many all at once when you're adding them to your project on Ravelry. (You can get a free Flickr account to use on Ravelry if you don't have one.) While you're photographing, look up and make notes on the pattern: name, designer, source, yardage and hook requirements, etc. Even if you can't remember all the details, noting the pattern name, designer, and source (name of book) might help you link your project up with a pattern that's already in the Ravelry data base. (Three of my projects used patterns already in their data base.)

Also: take pictures and make notes on your yarn and thread stash. In my case, I couldn't get decent pictures of crochet thread. Every picture was blurry or had strange colors, so I made color chips in some software, uploaded the chips to Flickr, and used the chips in place of actual photographs. My stash looks like this; the colors in the Sugar 'n Cream photos are dreadful, even after I tampered with them. (That's the best I could do on the purple, which photographed as if it were radioactive blue.)

You also can inventory hooks. I'm postponing that in my case because their list of hooks isn't nearly as detailed as I need (they don't have small thread hooks listed), so I'm just going to wait until they're set up for all the sizes, rather than rummage through everything twice.

I started to put in yarn, but there were just too many features that need to be fixed or fleshed out before that process is worth it.

For instance, you can't default to ounces, so you have to change over from grams to ounces for every new yarn you enter, over and over again.

Colorways should be a directory/drop-down the same as the yarn type. Since there are set colors of yarns, this should have been easy to set up. While you set up the yarn type, you set up any new colorway that is entered (ie, Grape, Baby Pink, etc).

Yarns of one type (such as Caron Simply Soft Brites) but different color (blue, purple) aren't listed together.

You can't sort yarn in the different views. The thumbnail view, since it doesn't group yarn types together, only lists the yarn type, so you could have several entries for Caron Simply Soft, but you can't tell which one is which color unless you have a picture associated with it. So, for me, it's just not worth it at this point.

As for entering projects, here is where I think they got it right. It's great that a lot of the projects are listed in there, and where it really gets interesting is seeing all the different interpretations of the same project. I think that's fascinating. On Crochetville, the same project by different people is all scattered in different posts, but on Ravelry, you can see them all in one place. Super!

However, as yarn stash is what I really signed up for, I think it may be a while before Ravelry is to the point of making the process easier and more useful for users.

I think you ought to tell them your thoughts because they seem receptive to other people's ideas.

However, as yarn stash is what I really signed up for, I think it may be a while before Ravelry is to the point of making the process easier and more useful for users.

I agree! There is a group you can join called "Crocheters Un-Raveled" then post your ideas to the forum. They read them and it helps make the site better for crocheters. :hook Definitely go post a copy of your thoughts.

I think others have probably voiced the same things. I don't want to bog them down with hearing the same thing over and over again. I imagine it's hard enough for them to keep up with all the comments. I could never do it. :) It's hard to tell with the forums what suggestions they already have on there. Makes you realize how easy Crochetville forums are to navigate. :)

I think another one of my yarn issues is going to be all the unmarked skeins. :) It would be nice for all those orphan skeins to just have a generic category for Worsted Weight or Baby Weight, then list all the different colors and amounts below it. I just have way too much yarn. ;)

I checked my position on the list and I am #21608 on the list and 13658 are ahead of me and 1291 people behind, 33% of the list have been invited. So I am sure I have a long wait to get my invite.

Hey y'all....

I met Jess last night (the co-creator of Ravelry) and she is super sweet. She said excactly what is on the website....please be patient. They are tryng their darndest to get the invites out. I think they did about 1,000 this week. It was so cool listening to her talking about the site and how excited they are for it. It made me want to get in even more. It has been her baby for almost 2 years already. Well..just thought I'd let ya guys know the latest.....

Oh, yeah...I also got a cool Ravelry pin. It says "where my stitches at?

• 2 weeks later...

I have less than 100 people in front of me now :P

• You signed up on July 16, 2007
  • You are #17516 on the list.
  • 8588 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 7649 people are behind you in line.

Archived