What started it?

I go through phases where I crochet a lot and then stop for a while. If you're like me, what started your latest crochet craze?

I have Mr Rogers to thank for mine. It's an episode where he visits his friend that makes (sews) stuffed animals. My son wanted me to make him a stuffed animal. 2 months and almost 14 animals later, here I am -obsessed again:lol !

When I became pregnant with my daughter I started back up crocheting, then stopped after I had her (babies are so time consuming!!). Then I discovered there were crochet patterns on ebay!! I never knew. I spent hundreds of dollars collecting everything I could, and figured I should make use of that money spent and make something. So here I am...

I always crochet,sometimes I will go for a day or 2 & not do it but very rarely. Usually those couple of days I just can't decide what to make. I recently started an idea book I put pics of things I want to make in there So when I can't decide what to start on I just pick something from there. I think I'm at my best when I find an idea & just make it no pattern just whip it up. At times I almost feel like I get a high while I'm in that mode. I love stuffies most of all since I started making them I fell in love. Maybe it's from being a severely allergic asthmatic kid my mom was told to put all my stuffed animals away because they collected dust :(

What has gotten me really rolling was looking at the size of my stash, thinking - okay I bought all you skeins, now I'd better use you! :lol

I hadn't crocheted in quite a while, partly because my interest & amt of free time comes and goes, and partly because I had wrist surgery two years ago. This latest crochet "phase" began when my cat died at the end of January after a long illness. Since my job is all about sick animals, and my home life had been about taking care of him, I needed something non-animal to distract me.

I go through phases too. If I'm not crocheting, I'm reading. Sometimes I just have to stop for awhile and let my hands rest, I guess the repitition just gets to me. I have a new grandbaby coming soon and thats what got me started this go round.

I guess for me it was when I decided to make an afghan for my MIL a couple of years ago. She and I don't get along the very best. When they were visiting 4 years ago, she'd seen an afghan she liked in a book I had. So, I decided to make her that afghan in the hopes she'd recognize it for what it was. Haven't really put down my hook for long since. :D

I am nearly always sewing, knitting or crocheting. Right now it's crochet. I knitted until I (temporarily) burnt out and then began crocheting, but the needles exert a strong pull, too. I keep thinking I'll finish off this or that crochet project then get back to knitting. If I were better at handling multiple projects the whole thing woudn't be an issue.

I'm not really sure why I started, but I think it was to make a cup cozy for my bf's Mother. She always has a cup of crushed ice filled with water. Since it would always have water dripping off of it, she would wrap it in a paper towel. So...I went to Michaels one day picked up some rainbow thread and some steel hooks and made some bookmarks. After that I got some thread to make the cup cozy!

I haven't stopped since then!

For me, I just wanted to learn to crochet... I make lil covers for the headsets we use at work, and they are CRAZILY popular. It's gotten me gas to get to and from work for the last two months! I also do lil things when gifts are required. Since we dont have a lot of money, a gift that is made is much more valuable (and cheaper) than something that was just bought. :)

Originally, I learned as a way to make myself stuff and fill time at my old job. I started selling, but as school took up my time I'd taper off my crafting. This spring I decided to get back into it so I could make a few things for my belly bean, gifts for family, and to help push up my online sales to bring a bit of spending money.

A couple years ago I made my best friend an afghan for her birthday after not picking up a hook and yarn for 5 years or more when I did a MAM for my sister's MIL for Christmas. Before that, I hadn't hooked since grade school. Anyway, my friend's children and her BF's children fought over the ghan. So, she asked if she bought the yarn would I make afghans for all of them (seven kids total) and I said YES. Then, I found C'ville and oh my the stuff I have on tap because of it.

Joyce

I bought my mother an issue of Crochet Today and saw all the cool patterns. I just had to teach myself to crochet after that. Also, I was drawn to crochet because I read that it works up much faster than knitting. I've been knitting a sweater for five months!

• 1 month later...

I've been FAIRLY active since retiring in 2004, but the arrival of my granddaughter last summer REALLY got the hook going.

I make the usual baby blankets and hats (I actually got interested in making hats because of making one for my granddaughter), but my interest in crochet (and new patterns, techniques, etc.) landed me here in crochetville.

My Son-In-Law will probably be the recipient of an afghan for his birthday (SHHH - he doesn't know it yet).

I usually always have something going on, between gifts and class samples, but yeah, I get burned out and need a rest. Right now a baby blanket has gotten me back in gear, but even so, some nights I am just not in the mood, and it sits there. Everything cycles. Heh.

I always liked crocheting. I got into it in the 70's, everthing was granny squares. In high school, I was called " a hippy". I saw Womans' Day was having a granny square contest and thought, I can do that. I've made afghans for every baby my family and friends had in the last 20 years. I design things and enter lots of contests. I haven't stopped in 30+ years.

Ellie 13

An elderly lady in our community crocheted items for the family who's turn it was to carry her and her husband to church. Every 4 weeks I waited egarly to see what she had made. Each time it was our turn, I was amazed at the items she created. I was hooked. (pardon the pun)

Another lady made doilies, and I watched for hours at a time, as her hands spun their magic. Both ladies encouraged me to take up the craft.

I have loved it since age 9. I use it as a therapy to relax and leave all of the cares of the world behind.

I go through phases where I crochet a lot and then stop for a while. If you're like me, what started your latest crochet craze?

I have Mr Rogers to thank for mine. It's an episode where he visits his friend that makes (sews) stuffed animals. My son wanted me to make him a stuffed animal. 2 months and almost 14 animals later, here I am -obsessed again:lol !

About two years ago, one of the housekeepers here at the resort had learned how to crochet, and I happened to pass by her one day while she sat in the laundry on her lunch hour. She didn't know how to read patterns, all she knew was what someone had shown her, and she was having a problem making corners. She asked me if I knew how to crochet (it had been about 5 years since I had picked up a hook) and I said yes, and she asked if I knew how to make "something called a granny square" and could I show her how to do it because she had forgotten. I showed her, and after work that night, I went right upstairs to my apartment, got out some yarn, and started a baby afghan for the housekeeping manager's daughter who was due for her third child about two months from then. Goodbye, that's all she wrote. I have been absolutely addicted, AGAIN, ever since. The housekeeper quit crocheting after about 6 months and four afghans, gave me her entire stash of yarn that she had accumulated in that time, and quit working here. Hey, at least I got some yarn out of the deal! :lol

Elle

I have always crocheted a little bit. An afghan here a doily there; loads of stuffed toys before they started being called amigrumi. Then we stared getting patterns for nice clothing articles, shrugs and boleros became popular and more places took crochet seriously. I found people that liked the craft as well as I did through forums and groups on the web. My obsession grew!

Some days, I just don't feel the urge to pick up my materials and work on my christmas presents. Then I'll stumble across a stunning pattern that I think Soandso would love as a gift and I'm right back to picking out the thread or yarn and deciding which colour it should be.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I will work on a project, then put down crocheting for a while, if it is a big project, then sometimes I get distracted mid-way. The important thing for me is that my work has to be for something. I can't just crochet something for no reason at all. I have extra things that I have made around for an occasional birthday, but other than that I have nothing. I've got to finish the project as well, keeps me on my toes about finishing the project. I have to have my down time after a big project, but that can vary between a week and a month. But life also gets in the way, so its hard for me to crochet during the school year that much. Oh well.

Jennifer

My grandmother crochet beautifully, she just passed away on Memorial Day, she was 97. Her baby blankets and doileys were exquisite. I will miss her greatly and hope to pass what she taught me to my grandchildren. Their eyes light up when you show them what a piece of yarn or thread can make. I always think of her when I start a project.

Shirl

Archived