One Crochet Hook for nearly $100?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAYDOG-Crochet-Hook-BROOK-Jingle-Ring-size-G_W0QQitemZ180109658415QQihZ008QQcategoryZ134774QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. Granted, it's a gorgeous hook but the price is creeping up to $100!!!:eek

Graydog has a second hook auction ending shortly and it's also above $50.

Am I missing something? :think Is a Graydog hook worth pursuing (someday when I have money to burn)?

I made an ebony hook and I gave it away. I like just the plain wood hooks.

I don't understand why they are so expensive? Is it the Graydog name? I must say I am not overly impressed with those hooks. But then again I haven't been making hooks for over 30 yrs either. I dunno...............

They're nice but yeh the prices are ridiculous :eek This guy http://rparish0.tripod.com/hooks.htm will make you a custom hook He's very nice & the hooks are lovely. I don't know him personally I've just bought several hooks from him. All you have to do is send him an email & tell him what you want :)

They're nice but yeh the prices are ridiculous :eek This guy http://rparish0.tripod.com/hooks.htm will make you a custom hook He's very nice & the hooks are lovely. I don't know him personally I've just bought several hooks from him. All you have to do is send him an email & tell him what you want :)

I have one of his hooks. :) I love it. It is a size F and I use it to make my toys. :)

I also have some of the Greydog hooks. But, I do not spend that crazy amount of money on them. I have bought a couple in his buy it now deals for 24.00. Another really nice hook is the Ozarktwist. I only have one of them. The Ozarks don't go as high as Greydogs. I am not sure why they go that high. He had a hook I really liked. But there was no way I could afford it. It sold for 140.00 His hair stitcks go just as high also. I saw one go for around 200.00

I have 3 Graydog hooks and LOVE them. I think the highest I paid for one of them was $39.00. I don't think I could justify paying much more than that.

That's nothing! A couple years ago, I saw several of his hooks go for over $500 a piece! People are insane.

And for the record, I own one of his hooks, but I don't use it. Don't much care for it. It is pretty, though, and good quality, but I wouldn't pay more than $30 for one (which is about what I got mine for).

• 2 weeks later...

some pretty crochet hooks are specially made from Ivory and some are made from marble or semi precious stones like jade or lapis lazuli. hence, the steep price.

No No NO. Please do not make me look at any expensive hooks. When I first started crocheting, I bought a set of Boyes and was perfectly happy with them until I lost my "K" hook. Not knowing there was a difference in hook shape, (this was in the pre-internet days 0 I know better now) I replaced it with a Susan Bates hook. Well, I just loved that hook and had to buy a set of those. Then, I found myself on vacatiion without hooks or needles and bought a set of Crystalite knitting needles. That snowballed into having to buy Crystalite hooks also (which I don't care for very much). I just know if I try this expensive hook, I'll talk myself into needing a whole set. Then I'll need matching knitting needles too. PLEASE don't make me look at that beautiful hook.

Zowie!

Not sure what the 'point' of the capture jingle ring is ....??except maybe if you are a knitter and enjoy the sound of something clanging while you move to crochet??. ( just a theory;) )

Yes, those hooks are nice. But I can only imagine how frantic I would be if I misplaced one of those:eek . I have found myself partial to the Boyle. unless I have a 'splitting' problem... then I use the Bates. I do have 2 OLD wooden crochet hooks..to be honest look quite primative. I tried to use them, but it felt like a struggle since I am accustomed to the metal ones. So now they sit in the closet.:hook

I just picked up a del-rod (sp)? at Wal-Mart this weekend as my ole' man has just started woodworking recently & am going to have him try to make me some wood hooks to see how they turn out. I normally use aluminum or steel hooks.

I have a couple of Brain's Barn hooks and a Turn of the Century hook, all of which I really love. :hook Wood is really nice to crochet with for those who've never tried it. I have a few of the Crystalite hooks too, but don't really like them that much. They squeak when you use them with certain kinds of yarn. :eek

Archived