Stuff with polyfill, or leftover yarn?

I've been saving all my snipped ends and bits of fuzz. I've only been crocheting about a month, and I already have a snack-sized Ziploc bag full.

Any preferences for stuffing animals or pillows with polyfill or yarn? The yarn appeals to me as a "waste-free" alternative, but how do the items wash?

~ Joy

Use both! I'd stick with polyfil for the outer layers but a bunch of yarn in the middle of the head or body is a good way of using scraps.

I do the same thing when making fabric teddybears and other animals. I'll use the tiny fabric remains as part of the stuffing.

It's a great idea!

Use both! I'd stick with polyfil for the outer layers but a bunch of yarn in the middle of the head or body is a good way of using scraps.

I do the same thing when making fabric teddybears and other animals. I'll use the tiny fabric remains as part of the stuffing.

It's a great idea!

OK, since someone asked the question. WHen you crochet a pillow, do you need to back the squares with like material before stuffing? I recently made a little pillow using two squares and hated the sight of the polyfill thru the pillow. On another note, is using pillow forms preferrable. (Don't mean to hijack the original question, because I'm also intrigued by using yarn as fill)

Joyce

Use the leftover yarn for colored stuffies so you don't just see white fiberfill through the spaces. That's what I used to do before I started crocheting them very tightly.

What I do is, and YES, I AM crazy, I crochet balls , like hackysacks, for my cat, and fill it with the scraps instead of stuffing, lol, sure, she gets some out, and it makes half the fun that way...

okay now if I were doing the pillow, I myself use a pillow form for it, so nothing takes away from my works, or comes through, but I suppose one could just sew on a peice of fabric also to the back...I am just to lazy..lol....

I haven't made any pillows but I sure wouldn't like to see the polyfil coming through. So even if it's a tight stitch, I would still line the pillow....

I'd go with the polyfil and close crochet. Put your scraps out for the birds to collect for their nests

I have seen yarn scraps work their way out of the ball so I'm not trusting them to stay inside where they belong.

I'd go with the polyfil and close crochet. Put your scraps out for the birds to collect for their nests

I have seen yarn scraps work their way out of the ball so I'm not trusting them to stay inside where they belong.

That's my concern too. I would be afraid to wash the toy for fear the yarn would work it's way out.

That's my concern too. I would be afraid to wash the toy for fear the yarn would work it's way out.

What some teddybear artists do is make a muslin pouch, stuff the scraps inside, sew the pouch shut, and put it in the center of the WIP.

I use both & more. When using thread, I have no probem stuffing with scraps of yarn (Peggytoes Seahorse tail was stuffed with thread) and smaller items. But when there's a chance the polyfill or yarn can poke thru, I either put the polyfill in old pantyhose, knee-hi stockings, etc. The stockings keep the polyfill from being seen or poking thru. If it's a larger item like a pillow, I use old t-shirts that have seen much better days. Old knitted sheets (the kind that feel like a fine flannel or t-shirt material) work great as stuffing material also. You can either cut them into smaller strips (about an inch or so wide) or just cut a piece that is big enough to stuff whatever it is. They make great stuffing as the pieces won't slip thru the crochet holes and are soft because of all the previous washings & use.

You can also use the t-shirts but stuff them on the inside with the polyfill for a fluffier feel and to use less of your old t-shirts.

Ok, let me try this again...I was logged out somehow!

I use both yarn and polyfill. When I was making my cousin a bunny while visiting, I used yarn because I didn't have any other stuff material. When I made a turtle and a lion over the past couple days (for my other cousins), I used polyfill because I had some. it does show through a bit, but I don't mind, and they wont either.

Using scrap yarn from little snippets of ends is a great idea, but I'd probably for get to save them, then forget to use them if I actually remembered to save them.

When it comes to pillows, I use polyfill, but sew scrap fabric around it to make a pillowform. It takes a bit more time, but then I can chose the color fabric I want to show through, and it also helps my sewing machine skills, which need a lot of work!

My daughter crochets very loosely and sometimes uses little rolls of yarn in similar color to what she's making. But she rolls the yarn around her finger first to keep it contained better.

And I'd make a pillow form with scrap fabric lying around in similar colors. And if you hand sew crooked (like me) it doesn't show up after to stuff it and put it in the crocheted part.

Archived