Baby KAL?

stargazingirly

Hi everyone! Most of the things I knit are baby related, mostly sweaters. I have a really easy pattern I'm using for the most part, you can see pictures of the sweaters in my blog, if anyone wants the pattern I came up with it myself, so I can type it up and send it to you. Or use any pattern you find and like! My sister is pregnant and a lady my mom works with is pregnant so I have several sets to make!

Feel free to join in with any baby thing, and post some pictures! :hook

greenbabysweater.jpg

heres a picture of the typical set I make, I thought this would be easier then digging through my blog!

Hello! I hope all your sweaters are going well! I will be working on two more sets over the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately I won't be able to check in very often as I am going to Maine to visit with my family, and the only internet available their is finicky dial up! I'll try to check in as soon as possible!

post your pictures if you get a chance!

Hi Jess,

Sorry for the long delay... I am home in Maine with my family, Dial up internet and I dont have my laptop which is where the pattern is written.

The easiest Version of the pattern is all in Garter stitch

Cast on 50 on size 6 needles, and do 10 rows garter stitch. Then switch to size 7 needles and knit until your piece is 6 inches long (it should be about 10 inchest wide, just so you know if your gauge is way off or anything) this is the bottom back of the sweater. At each of the next two rows cast on 21 more and continue in the garter stitch until your piece measures 9 inches. this is the entire back of the piece. now knit the first 34 stitches ( your making the front left side if this helps to visualize it) and place the remaining stitches on a stitch holder (i usually just use a spare piece of yarn) knit these 34 stitches strait for 6 rows, then on alternate rows pick up one stitch until you have 45 stitches on your needles. (to pick up i usually reach between the two stitches closest to the neck side and pull up a loop) From here, knit strait until you can fold over at the sholder and have the sleeves match up front and back. then cast off the 21 sleave stitches. knit the remaining stitches to match the back side.

Do the same thing for the front right side (this will still leave some stitches on the stitch holder for the neck area)

then for the trim, I generally try to pick up one stitch for ever two rows, or there abouts, I've found the easiest way to pick up the stitches is to use a really small needle (0 or 1) to pick them up and knit the first row really loose, then I switch back to the the size 6 needles. IF you are doing a simple garter boarder, knit one row around, then K1, K2TOG across. ( you may want to K2, K2TOG across, it depends on your tension, and the yarn you are using.... I had to play with this part for a while to get it the way i liked!) then knit 3 or 4 more rows, so you have the boarder the size you like.

do this for the sleaves, and then for the front band... I tend to pick up first from the front left side, then up the neck opening, then get all the remaining stitches off of the stitch holder, and down the front right neck and side. To make button holes, get the band about as wide as you like ( i usualy knit 3 rows) then decide which side the holes should be on. Knit until you get the the edge of the neck, and K2TOG, YO then I usually k5 and repeat this down to the end. You can change the spacing of you buttons by knitting more stitches inbetween the K2TOG, YO

I Hope this is clear enough, If you have any questions at all please PM or post here, Explaining isn't my strong suit, but this is really such an easy way to make a baby sweater I think it would be a shame not to try and share it!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Things to note:

the entire sweater is working in one piece.

If you have other stitches you like better then plain garter you can substitute them into this pattern, Since most of the measurements are given in inches.

You can use any type of yarn (as long as its soft for baby!) the gauge may change slightly, but babies change size so quickly it will fit exactly right at some point!

I usually can make the sweater, a mock baby hat, and the booties with an 8 oz skein of yarn.

If you want to see more pictures of these sweaters you can go to my blog!

Easy Variations:

Instead of the first 10 rows of garter stitch, use the size needles and do a K2,P2 repeat to get the ribbed edging! (this is what I perfer) I usually don't count the rows but just go until its 1.5 inches for the edge.

Also I love the look of the stockinette stitch, so I tend to use that on the body, but my fiance' like the garter stitch look better, so remember its all according to what you like!

Have fun!

* dont' forget to check back later for the rest of the pattern!

Cast on 50 on size 6 needles, and do 10 rows garter stitch. Then switch to size needles and knit until your piece is 6 inchest long (it should be about 10 inchest wide, just so you know if your gauge is way off or anything) this is the bottom back of the sweater.

Thanks Jess!! Question about this part: You said switch to size needles...what size??

Can't wait to start on this! I think I have quite a bit of baby yarn to use, too!

Only 3 weeks until my niece will be here!!!!!!!!

:jumpyay:jumpyay:jumpyay

yay! can't wait for you neice i'm sure! Sorry about the typo... I switch up one size to size 7.

If You want to do a ribbed edging (K2, P2 across, then next row which ever stitches you knit you will purl... ) I use size 7 needles throughout.

if you Use different types of yarn you can look on the package and it will tell you which size needles to use, and then you can do a test swatch and figure out the number of stitches to keep the sizes the same!

My laptop would not turn on last night.... I have no idea why, so I still can't get to the patterns... if you get to the shoulder post and i'll have my fiance' look it up on our backup harddrive!

Good luck! Can't wait to see your progress!

YEH!! I started the sweater!! I'm doing a light purple one...my knitting is far from perfect but my sister is a crafty girl herself so I know she'll appreciate it. :) I have about 3 inches of the body done! :)

Bad news for me: I already ripped off the baby sweater! My gauge became loose and it just looked way too wide for a 6mo baby. I don't think I'll redo it though, maybe I'll use the yarn to crochet something else for the baby.

I'm only up to about 4.5 inches...I'm a slow knitter and the yarn is small so it's taking forever!!!! I do like knitting in the garter stitch though because I'm good enough that I dont have to look at it (so I can do it while watching tv!)

How is everyone else doing?

Only about 2 weeks unitl I will be an aunt!!!! :jumpyay

Bad news for me: I already ripped off the baby sweater! My gauge became loose and it just looked way too wide for a 6mo baby. I don't think I'll redo it though, maybe I'll use the yarn to crochet something else for the baby.

Awww, well maybe you can set aside the pattern and go back to it some other time? it can be frustrating tomess something up with knitting as it takes a lot of time to fix! Hope you enjoy your other project!

Jess: Glad to hear its still going well! Can't wait to see a picture of it! Yay for being an Aunt soon!

My sister goes tomorrow to find out if she is having a boy or girl! I hope the baby cooperates!

In the meantime I finished one project and couldn't wait to start another, so I've got a baby sweater going in off white, 4 inches done so far, I'm doing a lacy open stitch. I'll post a picture tonight sometime

Well I never got a picture of the sweater as a WIP posted but i think i'll post it now with the final project.

th_DSC01988.jpg

th_DSC01987.jpg

both images are clickable

This was done following the general pattern, but substituting the stitch pattern K2TOG, YO * across in for the garter stitch. this came out wider than I expected, so the pattern will still need a little tweaking to make it work out right, but over all i'm happy with my first attempt! Oh, it does still need buttons, my mom likes to pick those out and put them one... she seems to think I pick ugly buttons:think oh well:hook

Let me know what you all think

th_DSC02012.jpg

th_DSC02010.jpg

th_DSC02001.jpg

Here are the pictures of the completed hat and booties to go with that last sweater, plus a picture of all three together, I think it came out pretty well, still need to get the buttons for the sweater, figures I was right at walmart tonight and still forgot:think oh well

Next Project is a knit baby blanket for my up and coming niece, its from a snuggletime baby afghans book, and its so cute, its called the sweethearts afghan and is all pink with hearts knit into the pattern. Have to go out and get the yarn still, but I'll post pictures when I get enough done to show the pattern!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived