Washing projects made in Red Heart yarn?

I know I've seen lost of posts saying that when things made from regular Red Heart yarn are washed, they get very soft. That's encouraging and I'm ready to try washing something small before I make a big project in it. So far I haven't made anything wearable from Red Heart because it's so hard and scratchy.

That said, how do you go about washing crochet projects? Do they have to be put inside a pillowcase because pieces come out and get stuck in the washer, or are they okay to just put in on their own? Do you use a gentle cycle, or regular? Do you dry it or just let it air dry?

Thanks in advance for any/all input and advice! :hug

Okay, this is just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. I wash rough or scratchy things the first time by hand in a bowl of water with shampoo and cream rinse swished in. After that, for most acrylics, I just wash normally with cold water and usually warm up in the dryer and then lay it out to dry the rest of the way. For garments, I kind of shape them as I lay them out.

Glenda

I just throw my RH stuff in the washer on warm and in the dryer for about 20-30 minutes with 3 or 3 dryer sheets depending on how big it is.

If any of the ends are going to poke out they'll come out from all the tumbling. Then I trim them up and have a soft and trimmed up whatever it is.

I really like doing this also because I just hate it when ends pop out the first time somebody washes a gift. And it's great for people to love what they're getting (all soft and snuggly) the first time they see it.

Other people like their gifts to look crisp and barndee new. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

i have made my son numerous blankets out of red heart and it seems that each time they are washed they turn out softer and softer. i just wash them in with the rest of the laundry (cold wash). i usually use fabric softener in a downy ball and then just throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet. they come out all fluffy and soft and good smelling.

after seeing how my son's blankets turned out, my husband wanted one of his own, so i made him a "bankie" out of "homespun" and he loves it!

i have actually started using caron simply soft for alot of the blankets and kid's sweaters and it's wonderful. it does tend to split a little when you work with it, though.

All of the projects that I make from cotton or acrilic (other than, most, doll clothes) get tossed in the wash with the appropriate color load. I then toss them into the dryer with the same load of wash. I'll often pull it out halfway through (if I remember) but I don't always. Like RoseRed said, I wash before giving away because then I can trim up any ends that are going to poke out and it'll be soft and snuggly. I've only made a few things from RHSS and while it did wash up OK, I wasn't overly thrilled with it and it felt like it was tearing up my hands as I was working. (I have noticed though, that verigated yarns tend to have more sizing (the scratchy stiff stuff) in/on it than plain yarns...)

I wash on the gentle cycle, cold water. NO DRYER SHEETS EVER.. some people are allergic and as I donate a lot of stuff.. I don't want them to have problems.

Use plain white vinegar in the rinse (small amount will do) to soften instead.

I recently took several blankets to my Project Linus coordinator.. she thanked me for going ahead and washing..

Of all the things I made with RH I wash them on delicate with downy and then I air fluff dry them and they come out so soft. I did wash the last thing I made wirh RH which was my god daughters' rainbow jacket and dried it on low for about twenty minutes and it came dry amd soft and no problems at all.

The last afghan I donated was made with RH supersaver. It was horrible crocheting with the scratchy stuff, but this is how I fixed it later. I put the afghan in the washer, in cold water with liquid Tide and some liquid fabric softener and let it wash gently on the gentle cycle. I don't recommend putting your item in with your regular wash because I noticed how much the dye came out and the water really looked very dirty. I just let it spin and threw it into the washer to get about 80% dry and then I laid it outside on some towels to finish, sort of blocking it to shape. It turned out soft and smelled good. Hope this helps!!!

I do like most everyone and wash in cold water (I wash almost all my clothes in cold) and dry in the dryer. For my daughter's clothing, I wash in delicate and dry on low delicates.

For any of my wash (clothes or afghans) I use half of a dryer sheet. It works just as good as a full sized one and doesn't coat near as much.

i just throw it in with everything else. or i wait until i have a good sized assortment of things ive made and wash them all together. if you are worried about the color running, i use the shout color catcher sheets in every load, and they work pretty well. then i just throw it in the dryer on medium. works fairly well. if you are nervous, just make up a gauge swatch or a granny and wash it however you would.... you can always donate a 6" square.

WOW! You actually wash things in the washing machine and (cringe) DRY them in the dryer and they come out ok?!? :eek I wouldn't DARE even try!

But then I've been crocheting since I was 9 back when yarn was actually made out of wool (old school). They must have really made some innovations with those synthetic yarns.

Wow, everyone, after a day away at church I come back and find all your helpful responses! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Some women at my church are going to help me make some comfortghans for people in our church who have been diagnosed with cancer and we can't afford lots of yarn in high-end stuff, so we're looking at cheaper alternatives.

Anyway, you've helped a lot; thanks!

well i do have a front loader. and im lazy. but i have a front loader. but its really that im lazy. and mom to a 2 yr old who is very busy.:bounce:hyper but mostly, im just lazy.:lol i dont know, thats how my granny always washed stuff. and i use the gentle cycle (both wash and dry) when i remember. they never shrink or anything.....(please dont tell me im doing it wrong after all these years......:) )

WOW! You actually wash things in the washing machine and (cringe) DRY them in the dryer and they come out ok?!? :eek I wouldn't DARE even try!

But then I've been crocheting since I was 9 back when yarn was actually made out of wool (old school). They must have really made some innovations with those synthetic yarns.

I will wash the scratchiest RHSS BEFORE I make whatever I'm making; usually a purse or afghan squares.

I have a front loader, but this should work on the gentle cycle of a regular machine, too.

I stuff the whole skein (take the label off) into the leg of a pantyhose, and tie a knot on either end of it (so it looks like a taffy). I then wash it on the gentle cycle, cold water, a tiny bit of soap and some fabric softener. My machine adds water by weight, so I'll just do one skein at a time, or I'll throw a towel in with it, but do whatever you think will work best with your machine.

Then, I pop the whole thing (skein in pantyhose) into the dryer on very low heat for 10-15 minutes. I then check the inside of the skein to see if it's dry; if not, a few more minutes around does it.

Then, you don't have to suffer with crocheting with scratchy yarn and your get to give a brandy-new looking item that is also clean!

For your average RH yarn used on your average afghan, this is what I advise my giftees: Machine wash cold, line dry.

For fancier grades of yarn (which tends to not be RH) or for fancier afghans (which I don't think I've ever made), I may advise gentle cycle or stuff it in a bag of some sort. I advise against the dryer simply because high heat nukes the acrylic and thats no good. Shortens the lifespan and leads to pills.

That being said, I do cheat. I found if you machine dry it (with a bounce sheet) once, it makes the yarn totally limp and cuddly. At which point I give it away so I have no idea how it stands up.

Even with all its "issues" RRSS washes beautifully! I made a Giant Granny Square as a bed spread. It has been washed sooo many times! Comes out soft and cuddly every time. Cold wash cycle, and the dryer with a few dryer sheets and you are good to go. :yes

:ladybug

Archived