Suffering Cuticles!

Kermit

I'm wondering if other knitters are having the same problem I am.

I've crochetted for years, and I never really suffered from this, but now that I'm knitting, it seems like my cuticles are getting all chewed up. :(

I'm thinking in part it is from working with inexpensive yarn.

Right now I'm using True Blue Spa "Glove me tender" -- which isn't greasey, but feels good because it has Shea Butter.

Has anyone ever had similar problems and have a solution for it? :think (Besides maybe working with more expensive yarns?)

The reason why man made fibers are harder on your hands than natural fibers is because of the construction of the fiber.

If you put a single fiber of each under a microscope you would find the manmade fibers have sharp edges because these are extruded through machines or spun with air causeing sharp edges.

The natural fibers have rounded shafts there for the fibers are rounded and don't have the sharp edges. Wool is hair that has a shaft and scales (rounded), cotton is a plant fiber so it has celluler construction (naturally rounded)

It has nothing to do with expense, cotton can be cheap and nylon can be expensive. I really has to do with being man made verses natural growth.

Use which fiber you want but make sure to condition your hands. Don't use anything with too much oil though, you might soil your yarn.

I use cocoa butter lotion from Palmer's. It smells so heavenly yet moisturizes my hands at the same time too. One time my hands felt so raw that I had to put on the moisturizing gloves to crochet. It felt awkward but helped some.

Great advice!

And sorry if I wasn't clear; the yarn was not just chewing up cuticles, but also also creating hangnails. My yarn may come in more contact with my cuticles and surrouding skin than other people because of the way I run my yarn through my fingers to control tension.

But THANKS for letting me know that it depends on the yarn being a natural vs. a manmade fiber. That makes SO much sense!

At least now I know it isn't my imagination. ;)

Archived