Squares Needed/VA Tech families

moonspinners

Just to let all of you that are stumped out there about what are the exact right colors for Hokie Healing....ANY shade of maroon/burgundy and ANY shade of orange. As we collect these beautiful squares, some simple, some intricate, the multitude of autumn shades is breathtaking. So don't fret! No worries! Also, if anyone wants to rent a bus and come to Blacksburg in June to help us sew the blankets together, Mosaic will have goody bags of yarn waiting for you. Press and TV stations from all over the world will be filming all the action! Thanks everybody who are helping us.:cheer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My shop, Mosaic yarn Shop got some phone calls today...some people have misread my previous message which said...if you come to Mosaic to help us put together blankets, we will have some goody bags waiting for you. That does not translate into us taking care of your accomodations while here in Blacksburg. We are a small LYS trying to do a good thing for the victims of this tragedy, with our time, most of all. We do not have an unlimited budget, unfortunately. We are in no position to fund transportation, lodging, or food. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that. Hope that clears things up.

hi gina, i didn't see that in your post at all, someone must have misunderstood. of course you couldn't do that, sure wish i could join ya but will be with you in spirit :hug:hug

Just to let all of you that are stumped out there about what are the exact right colors for Hokie Healing....ANY shade of maroon/burgundy and ANY shade of orange.

And I was so pleased with myself that I found a "perfect shade of maroon" today. ;)

Thank you for the opportunity to do something for the families. I will continue to pray for them.

Fern, that square is so beautiful!

Gina, thanks so much for sponsoring (sp?) this project. To me nothing changes sorrow into joy faster than these comfortghans. :hug

Gina B. I was so happy to read that your yarn shop was doing this. I am currently working on squares to send to you. I hope it's not too late to help out. Are you getting overwhelmed with squares that you don't need any more or are you still needing a lot? Do you know how many you have so far and how many more you are going to need?

I work at Iowa State University (in the Admissions Office) which is almost the same size as Virginia Tech. It could have happened here, so it really hit close to home for us. Our Director of Admissions came to us from Virginia Tech. Also, our VP for Student Affairs came to us from VA Tech, but has since left us for a position in South Dakota.

Our Director of Admissions saw me crocheting squares on my break last week and asked me what I was making and when I told him he gave me two thumbs up and said "YOU ARE AWESOME!" :D

I hope to send a few squares to you later this week. You are doing a great thing!

Can you let us know when the afghans will be on display? Also, just an idea or maybe you already have done this...I saw a map that you are marking where squares have come from, but could you put a list on your webpage as to what cities/states you've received squares from. I think that would be neat for us to see as well.

Gawd, the month of May is half gone already. That means we only have about a week to finish our squares and mail them off because they want them by the end of May. Yikes. :eek Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

If the squares don't get to the shop right on time, don't fret...we think the sewing together will happen Sat. June 16th at the Alumni Center at the Inn at Va. Tech. I will post where people can see the blankets in person, also, there will be all the pictures on the blog. Http:/mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com. Hugs to all who are crocheting for us! Gina.

I just found out about a yarn shop in VA that is requesting 8" crocheted or knitted squares in the colors of the school: maroon, burnt orange, white and black.

The squares are to be sent to the shop and then put together into comfortghans for families of the victims.

Here's the link to the shop's blog with all the information: http://mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com/2007/04/mosaic-yarn-shop-is-asking-that-all.html

True healing begins w/ forgiveness, and his family is hurting also from his actions. I think that would be a wonderful gesture of healing to them. White might be a good color for that one since its a healing color and purity and peace.

Sandy

Actually, I'm not sure it's a good idea to use white for a healing afghan for Koreans. The problem is that while Westerners associate white with purity, Asians associate it with death. It might be an unfortunate reminder.

Actually, I'm not sure it's a good idea to use white for a healing afghan for Koreans. The problem is that while Westerners associate white with purity, Asians associate it with death. It might be an unfortunate reminder.

Thank you, Crafty. I didn't realize that. They may perceive it as a reminder or a death wish for them. Neither would be a good thing. Not sure what other color to maybe use then though.

Sandy

I've done a web search and it seems that white stands for purity "They believed that the sun is a God and the Korean is a son of the God and they wear the white colored cloths standing out the glory of the sun with pride. This became a tradition for Korean.The white color in Korea means purity,innocence,morality." from http://www.colormatters.com/BBArchive/bubdarc8-global.html

and "Pastels = trust" in Korea from

http://www.angeltowns2.net/honeyoaks/colors.html

these are the sites where you don't have to read for half and hour to get what you want.

So I would think that pastel colors would be best to use all in all.

I mailed off my squares this morning. I'm so glad I could help out. My squares were simple patterns, but I think they turned out very nice. I made up the cross square myself. Not that it was difficult, just that I couldn't find a pattern out there. Here is a picture of the squares and the tags I made.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/yarnlover66/Charity/VATechsquaresMay2007.jpg

Thank you so much for doing this for all of the families and for the injured. You are doing a great thing. I can't wait to see pictures of the afghans when they are completed. :hug

As for not using White squares for Cho's family's afghan...it's now a mute point. A Va. Tech official has contacted me to let me know that Cho's parents are in seclusion. We wouldn't know where to send it...and they don't want a blanket. They have refused anything and everything.:no

As for not using White squares for Cho's family's afghan...it's now a mute point. A Va. Tech official has contacted me to let me know that Cho's parents are in seclusion. We wouldn't know where to send it...and they don't want a blanket. They have refused anything and everything.:no

That is such a shame They need to know the whole world does not blame them more than ever now.

how very sad for them, thanks for letting us know though, good thing i checked this posting before tomorrow when i am sending the 10 squares i made out, i wish there was a way to help them to understand that the world does not hold them resposible, certainly not their fault and they lost a child too, the whole thing is sadder than i can even think about, thanks gina b for giving us this oppurtenuty to be able to show we care to the victims and their familys. i hope you have so darn many squares you will be swamped with them and that you are able to put ghans together not just for the victims family who were killed but also the ones who were injured. thank you once again for sharing this and i sure wish i could be there. sadly that just isn;t going to happen for me but i hope ya all will take lots of pictures, blessings on you all .:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering about the progress of completing the afghans for the Virginia Tech victims and here's what Gina had to say:

Sewing Party is Sat. June 16th, The Inn@Va. Tech from 10am -5pm!

Who from C'ville participated? I sent two squares. How 'bout you?

Archived