Squares Needed/VA Tech families

moonspinners

Reading over these lovely comments about how to help us fill our tall order of making squares for the victim's families and injured, I was surprised to hear that some people were actually concerned Mosaic Yarn Shop wasn't a real shop! Because we don't have a website, only a blog? Amazing how jaded as a society we have become. That we doubt even good intentions. Makes me sad.

Gina, unfortunately, past experiences on the internet have shown many people that not everyone is to be trusted. Sad, yes, but still true.

Since Crochetville is such a large community, we've been hit by our share of scammers in the past. Not to mention, I've seen many scams perpetrated on many other blogs, message boards, and yahoo lists throughout the years.

Because of all the fraud that is committed on a daily basis on the internet, it is ALWAYS a good idea to check out the validity of anything you find on the 'net.

Now, as far as a business having a blog yet not having an actual website with an active storefront, I think this is something we are going to see more and more of as time goes by. Small shops want to get their name out there, yet may not have the technical expertise, time, interest in, or ability to pay someone to run an actual website for them. Yet they DO have the ability to set up and maintain a blog, allowing them to provide fresh content for their customer base.

There is a wonderful shop up in Franklin/Nashville, TN that also has a store blog but no shopping-based website. I think I've run across some other local shops that do the same thing, but I can't remember any specifics.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what you are saying....as for the "nasty Comment" made about Cho's afghan, if you read all of the comments made on the blog about the afghans, you'll understand it was trying to lighten the mood allittle bit, which was apologized for. If people choose to get angry and not help us knit/crochet squares because of it...a big point of helping victims is lost. We are all in this together. The Heart behind this project shouldn't be ignored, because of a silly comment meant to help put a little smile on some faces during a horrific time for us in Blacksburg. As for who gets the afghans... The Victim's families, the shooter's family,if they want it(which is an issue), and the injured.

I understand the colors to be used are: Maroon, Burnt Orange, White, and Black. Any color combination or is it maroon, orange, and either black or white?

I understand what you are saying....as for the "nasty Comment" made about Cho's afghan, if you read all of the comments made on the blog about the afghans, you'll understand it was trying to lighten the mood allittle bit, which was apologized for. If people choose to get angry and not help us knit/crochet squares because of it...a big point of helping victims is lost. We are all in this together. The Heart behind this project shouldn't be ignored, because of a silly comment meant to help put a little smile on some faces during a horrific time for us in Blacksburg. As for who gets the afghans... The Victim's families, the shooter's family,if they want it(which is an issue), and the injured.

Gina, although I didn't read your comments on your blog in their original context, you may find that those statements will have some repercussions on whether people are willing to help with your particular endeavor, apologies or no. Many people will not understand at all how the comments (at least as presented here) could put a smile on anyone's face.

It doesn't mean the point of helping the victims is lost, it just means that some people may choose to go about doing so through a different venue.

I understand the colors to be used are: Maroon, Burnt Orange, White, and Black. Any color combination or is it maroon, orange, and either black or white?

I got the impression that you could use any color combination. I just finished a black and white granny square...so I'm hoping they can use that.

Edit: What yarn and color name of the yarn is everyone using for the orange color? I was thinking about picking up some yarn from Hobby Lobby to use for it so my squares aren't just red, white, and black.

Okay, I have black and white yarn, easy enough. No burnt orange, unfortunately. But! I want ya'll opinion. Does this yarn (It's Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn in cranberry) look maroon enough? I know the picture is kinda dark, but just tell me yay or nay.

yarn.JPG

I've seen that yarn in person and feel it is more burgundy than maroon. That's why I didn't buy it for the Va Tech squares.....

I looked on the Coats & Clark website and they have a wine color and a tangerine in Red Heart Soft. I didn't see any Red Heart yarn (super saver, tlc essentials, soft, etc) called Maroon. They did have a Persimmon (burnt orange) but I don't remember if that was TLC or something else. I then checked Caron's website. They don't have anything close to the school colors. Some guidance on which this would be very helpful.

The Patternworks site has Reynolds Signature, 80% acrylic/20% wool, on sale for $3.49 a skein instead of the usual $5.50. Their colors pumpkin, port, and claret might work, at least by how they show up on my laptop screen.

What's frustrating about yarn-shopping for this project is that many manufacturers use numbers instead of names. Something that is good ole' fashioned orange might have a more exotic name, such as "pumpkin on an October evening" or be color #501246.:think

I asked my LYS to help find burnt orange or maroon but each salesperson had a different opinion on what would work. By the time we were finished, I felt absolutely colorblind! So I walked out empty-handed and went with foolproof black and white!

I thought I would look at some pictures of their uniform and such so I could compare. I found this page that shows tiny color squares, as well as the logo. If you click on the word "burnt orange" on that page, it even takes you to another page with all different variations of orange. And here is an example of "Chicago maroon".

Of course, I'm assuming that my monitor screen is fairly accurate...I think I'm going color-blind, too...

first off i would like to welcome you ginaB. as amy explained we have had more than our share of people asking for donations and it was a fraud, no disrespect was made towards what we all think is a wonderful project, and i hope you will take it as that. on that note i also want to say i think we should help put together a comfortghan for the shooters family as well, it certainly was not their fault that their son committed the horrible acts of murder. i think helping anyone who is effected by this tragedy is indeed something we as artists and crafters should certainly do, wether one can donate time money yarn whatever. me i will be making as many squares as i can as i know you will have a huge amount of blankets to put together. so many people have been effected by this tragedy and our hearts go out to you all in virginia. i hope that this can be done with kindness and caring and love for our fellow mankind/womenkind too lol god bless you all for helping in this tragedy and i know that people care, i have been making 2 comfortghans for our cousinand his wife who is in the us army and was critically injured in iraq, and the response i had from people here was just amazing, so i know if this is important to them one man and his wife, then i know people will donate to this worthy cause. now am off to crochet some squares. i hope that this will bring some comfort to those effected and i wanted to say also that i pray for them every day and that i hope that somehow some way some kind of peace can be brought by this. no one knows what these people are going thru unless you are one of them and i pray for all who are. now am off my soapbox and off to crochet. god bless you all:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Stopped at AC Moore today to look for the VT colors. I guess I was expecting not to find anything, since everyone here seemed to be having trouble. TLC Essentials had 2 great colors, Persimmon and Claret. I went home and compared them to the colors on the Hokies sports website and they looked really good. It is fairly soft, but more expensive than Red Heart. But I went to a cashier I know, and she rang them as 2 separate sales so I could use a coupon on each. She is also the person in charge of the yarn department and I told her what I was doing. She said if I printed her out the info from the Mosaic Yarn Shop's website, she would post it on the wall for other customers to see.

I just found this thread and plan on sending some squares by the end of next week to the shop. I was in the hospital waiting to go into surgery when it came on the news. My prayers go out to all affected by this awful tragedy.

I would be more than happy to make some square's but living in the UK it will take about a week to get there by mail so if its still ok I'll get some yarn tomorrow and get busy. I'm gonna hit up some friends for cash donations for yarn as they don't craft.

I also think it is a good idea to make one for the family of the shooter, I'm sure they are devastated by what their son has done.

cheeka i agree 100%, how much sorrow these people must be feeling right along with the rest of us. i too am making squares am hoping to get 10 made for the vtu ghans and a couple for the cho familys. i agree they need a lovie right now anmd know people don't blame them for what their son did:yes:yes:yes

I would be more than happy to make some square's but living in the UK it will take about a week to get there by mail so if its still ok I'll get some yarn tomorrow and get busy. I'm gonna hit up some friends for cash donations for yarn as they don't craft.

I also think it is a good idea to make one for the family of the shooter, I'm sure they are devastated by what their son has done.

The shop says it's hoping for a May 31 deadline for receipt of all squares, so yo have plenty of time!

Who exactly is going to put all these squares together? Volunteers or the actual owners of the shop?

From what I understand from my conversation with Belinda from the yarn store, both volunteers and the store owners will be putting them together. Want to rent a bus and drive to Blacksburg in June???;)

oh that would be so cool. i would love to do it if i could, course i have 2 problems 1 no money and 2 can't travel so if ya all decide to do it enjoy and have a great time i have 6 made so far:D:D:D

If you go to :google "images" and type maroon, you can get a good idea of what is (or isn't) maroon.

I also got a VT logo by searching maroon and orange in images,

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hartstonepottery.com/_images/inventory/vtech_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hartstonepottery.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp%3Fid%3D55%26cat%3DVirginia%2BTech%2BAthletic%2B%2526%2BHokie%2BBird%2B(NEW!)&h=333&w=500&sz=14&hl=en&start=34&sig2=ErnFu6QSsTIQbZHZog_bDg&tbnid=85LfwSyBC0EIkM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&ei=o84-RqjbOoPkiQGDzZVP&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmaroon%2Band%2Borange%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Archived