Squares Needed/VA Tech families

moonspinners

I just found out about a yarn shop in VA that is requesting 8" crocheted or knitted squares in the colors of the school: maroon, burnt orange, white and black.

The squares are to be sent to the shop and then put together into comfortghans for families of the victims.

Here's the link to the shop's blog with all the information: http://mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com/2007/04/mosaic-yarn-shop-is-asking-that-all.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the link to the shop's blog with all the information: http://mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com/2007/04/mosaic-yarn-shop-is-asking-that-all.html

I don't find an actual web site for this business. Just the blog. This strikes me as strange. Has anyone actually visited this shop? I don't mean to imply it is not a real shop or that the effort to help is not real. It just, as I said, struck me as strange.

I don't find an actual web site for this business. Just the blog. This strikes me as strange. Has anyone actually visited this shop? I don't mean to imply it is not a real shop or that the effort to help is not real. It just, as I said, struck me as strange.

You got me thinking, so I called standard information (1-540-555-1212) and was given the phone number of the yarn shop that appears on the blog. (They're the only yarn shop in Blacksburg.)

I spoke with Belinda at the shop so they really do exist. Yes, they only have the blog right now. But they plan to expand and add tips on blocking the squares, links to other sites, etc. etc.

Not only are they planning to make afghans for the victims' families, but also afghans for the students who were hospitalized. She invited us all to the shop to help put the afghans together.

They haven't decided if they're going to make an afghan for Cho's family and they're looking for feedback about it.

I told Belinda about Crochetville and that she could probably expect squares from all over the world if our members opt to participate. I hope you all will consider participation. Please see message #1 for a link to the yarn shop for more information.

You got me thinking, so I called standard information (1-540-555-1212) and was given the phone number of the yarn shop that appears on the blog. (They're the only yarn shop in Blacksburg.)

I spoke with Belinda at the shop so they really do exist.

Great! Thanks for going that extra step to verify this information. I appreciate it.

I'll give my assurance that this is legitimate as well. I've seen it posted on several other message boards by very well-known members. :)

They haven't decided if they're going to make an afghan for Cho's family and they're looking for feedback about it.

I think that it would be alright to send an afghan for Cho's family. They must be devastated. They may not want to make one for Cho's family in the school colors though as that would be a terrible reminder to the family, but I think as long as it was done in other colors it would be fine.

I think that it would be alright to send an afghan for Cho's family. They must be devastated. They may not want to make one for Cho's family in the school colors though as that would be a terrible reminder to the family, but I think as long as it was done in other colors it would be fine.

I agree and I'm so relieved that somebody else feels the way that I do. :hug They must be devastated on so many levels.

Coralie

This is a great idea. I love being able to help even though I don't no anyone from there. I will get some squares together and hopefully ship first of nextweek......Thanks for the info

I agree, I think one should be made for Cho's family. They are just as devastated as the other parents, if not more so because of their cultural background.

Remember, this effort is being coordinated by Mosaic Yarn Shop, and not here at Crochetville. If you want a comfortghan made for Cho's family (or if you don't), you need to contact the store to let them know how you feel. :)

I feel sure Cho's family must be feeling pain just as strongly as the victims' friends and family are.

I bought some black and white Caron's Simply Soft yarn at Hobby Lobby this afternoon. (It's on sale this week for $1.22.) I couldn't find any soft yarn in burnt orange or maroon at Hobby Lobby or my favorite LYS. I kept gravitating to burgundy-colored yarns, which they (the yarn shop putting this together) specifically said they do not want.

So black and white it'll be. I've bookmarked several motifs in the 200

Crochet Blocks book and hope to get it going in the next day or two. If Mosaic Yarn Shop decides to make a comfortgan for the Cho family, using black and white (rather than the VT colors) might be a good idea.

I'm surprised this thread is not getting more attention.:think Is there something I don't know about? Or we just on overload with all charitable contributions????:think

I was planning to send three-four squares (almost have the first one done) done in black and white.

Birdlady,

Gina the owner of the blog,made a comment that alot of people were offended by,saying to make a square with 666 or skull and crossbones,for the shooter's family

its since been deleted,but she probably turned alot away with that comment

she apoligised for the comment

Linda

Birdlady,

Gina the owner of the blog,made a comment that alot of people were offended by,saying to make a square with 666 or skull and crossbones,for the shooter's family

its since been deleted,but she probably turned alot away with that comment

she apoligised for the comment

Linda

Nasty.:angry 'nuf said.

Okay, I have black and white yarn, easy enough. No burnt orange, unfortunately. But! I want ya'll opinion. Does this yarn (It's Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn in cranberry) look maroon enough? I know the picture is kinda dark, but just tell me yay or nay.

yarn.JPG

I'm a college student at U of Montana and we have the same maroon color that VA Tech has as one of our colors...I've made lots of Griz stuff and that looks like almost the exact same color that I used, so in my opinion you're safe!

Cool, I'll start on the squares tonight. I'm just going to make basic granny squares. Are ya'll incorporating all the different colors in the squares or just making solid colored squares?

Cool, I'll start on the squares tonight. I'm just going to make basic granny squares. Are ya'll incorporating all the different colors in the squares or just making solid colored squares?

I believe solid colors or a combination of any of the colors are acceptable.

Reading over these lovely comments about how to help us fill our tall order of making squares for the victim's families and injured, I was surprised to hear that some people were actually concerned Mosaic Yarn Shop wasn't a real shop! Because we don't have a website, only a blog? Amazing how jaded as a society we have become. That we doubt even good intentions. Makes me sad.

Archived