thrift store yarn--washable??

funnymom8

Question

I hope this is the right place to ask this: I was lucky to find 2 big bags full of yarn, some are skeins and some are balls and whatever of yarn. I was wondering if there is a way to wash the yarn? or is it better to make something and then wash it? I've never had good luck in washing yarn, so maybe someone out there knows of a good, safe way??:think thanks for any help...........Lise:hook

6 answers to this question

I have heard that putting the yarn in a pillowcase will work. I have never tried this. I just finished washing a completed baby blanket on gentle cycle in a pillow case. I used donated yarn and unfortunately it smelled (stunk actually!) of the woman's perfume. I decided to make the blanket first and then wash it. It came out beautiful and doesn't even look like it was washed, but it smells sooo much better. I have it outside on the patio drying. I didn't want to put it in the dryer (don't ask, I don't know why!).

I wash my thrift store yarn in Knee high Nylons. I put the ball or skein in and tie the top and throw it in the washer and then in the dryer just make sure that the yarn is completely dry. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Good Luck!!!

I would wash the yarn first just because it would be horrible to put the time into making something and then have the yarn freak out in the wash. If you think it might be wool or something that's not plain cotton or acrylic you might want to wash it by hand.

Linda Y

Archived