Where Do You? (Q & A)

Where do you all get most of your crochet pattern books?

& What is the oldest pattern book you own?

I love love love :manyheart going to antique & flea markets & have gotten the largest portion of mine there. I just bought a box full for $3.50 :eek in Wichita Ks this weekend after we went up there for a woodcarvers convention. I will update the post tomarrow w/ my oldest pattern book. :yes

I get mine all over. I haven't yet on ebay because the price gets too high. There was a thrift store by me I loved to go to to look for them, I found one from the 1920s, not sure of the year as the cover was ripped, but you could tell by the pictures and hairstyles it was the 1920s. I have a few 10cent ones from second hand stores. I love looking for them from there. I also get them from stores at regular prices or on sale or with a coupon.

Debbi

I get mine all over. I haven't yet on ebay because the price gets too high. There was a thrift store by me I loved to go to to look for them, I found one from the 1920s, not sure of the year as the cover was ripped, but you could tell by the pictures and hairstyles it was the 1920s. I have a few 10cent ones from second hand stores. I love looking for them from there. I also get them from stores at regular prices or on sale or with a coupon.

Debbi

:eek Oh' wow where do you find coupons for them? I have joined some crochet book clubs & they give discounts....but have never seen any coupons...please share. :)

most places like Joanns and Michaels Hobby Lobby and such put out a 40% off item in the Sunday pager or you can sign up for a mailing list and you will get them sent to your house you can use it on any item at regular price.

I still have a lot of crochet pattern books and magazines from the 1970's. I refuse to throw them or give them away:no :no. Granny squares were really popular back then. Once in a while when I am looking for a pattern, I'll look at the old pattern books and think how some of the clothes in there are :eek. I also have some doily pattern books. I don't know if I'll ever crochet a doily again, my hands hurt like buggers sometimes:(. BUT I refuse to give up my :hook. There is one crochet afghan pattern that I have had since the 70's. It's a pineapple afghan(like the pineapple doilies). I tried to make it in my 20's, couldn't do it:no , I tried it in my 30's, couldn't do it:no , I guess I didn't try in my 40's, now that I'm beginning my 50's, I'll have to give it another try.

I pick up my magazines and books at yard sales and flea markets. One of the oldest one's I have is a 1978 pulbication that I bought at an auction is with a bunch of other books. It has Merry Christmas Mom, I love you, Sam written inside of it!!

I racked up a bit of my collection from Crafter's Book Club after looking at books in local stores (Barnes & Noble, Books a Million). I got several others from Amazon.com. Usually I have to see it before I buy it, though I have been pleasantly surprised by a few, like Doris Chan's :)

I have also purchased several leaflet booklets at Hobby Lobby or Michael's or AC Moore locally. Hancock's Fabrics has a good selection of crochet leaflets too.

The oldest... 1942 so far, and now that you asked, I gotta go catalog my vintage inherited leaflet collection :lol

*Edit, woah, found one from 1916!

Richardson's Silk and Cotton Crochet, by Richardson Silk Company -- just like this http://www.ivarose.com/inc/sdetail/1644

Wow I'm glad I cataloged these, I found some great crochet patterns in an old KNIT magazine I had too! :clap

*edit, edit, I was too tired to remember to post where I got my old stuff from last night. :lol My mom picks them up at yard sales sometimes when she sees them. Also, when an older friend of hers died, the family gave my mom some stuff that had belonged to her; there were a lot of those old crochet leaflets so she gave them to me. A few old knit mags too.

I didn't much care for a lot of the old crochet patterns because they're mostly thread, til last night when I went looking, there are such beaaaaautiful doilies, some yarn projects, and plenty that could be changed to yarn I think. :yarn

:clap I have enjoyed seeing where others get there patterns & coupons wow. I looked thru mine last night & have a 1942 WasteBasket issue, so guess thats my oldest. I am so addicted & love to find old crochet patterns & books. I am sooooooo glad rummage sale season is here & hope to find some there too.

I have a book from the 102- on how to make underwear and other undergarments thats my oldest. I went ebay crazy in my earliest crochet days thinking i would make it all. My talent has not caught up with my ambition:D

• 4 years later...

Archived