Comfortghan for a friend who has been affected by the VT Tragedy

vcufashion419

Hello my fellow Villagers!

I'm sure everyone has been following the news on the devestating events that have taken place at Virginia Tech this week. A close friend of mine from high school, Jenny, lost one of her sorority sisters, Caitlin, in the shooting. Jenny was extremely close to Caitlin, and described her to me as "her little ray of sunshine".

My friend Jenny is, understandably, having a difficult time coping with this loss. I would like to put together a comfortghan for her to help ease her pain. I am also in the process of trying to get in touch with someone at the university to see if it would be possible to make ghans for the victims families, so this may turn into an ongoing project. So any extra squares I receive can go towards that.

I need your help with squares!! I would like to do the ghan in VT colors, maroon/burgandy, orange, and white. I'm thinking 8" squares, worsted weight yarn. Any style of square is fine, and I should also mention that they can be crocheted or knitted. There is not a big rush, as I won't really be able to join them for another week or two, so if everyone could try to have them to me by the end of the first week in May that would be great.

TIA for all of your help!! You all are amazing!!

**Update: There is a LYS in Blacksburg that is collecting knitted or crocheted squares to make ghans for the families of the victims. The post about it can be found here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50286

The website with the information is: http://mosaicyarnshop.blogspot.com/2007/04/mosaic-yarn-shop-is-asking-that-all.html

Any extra squares will be sent there, and if you want to continue to help you can send squares there, as well! **

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have received squares from:

Salos

crochet_hen

CrochetingMama

Betty Crackpot

Laurie E.

Cherri

Jessi

Seneca and Scooch

Sally in Ontario

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jessica

What color maroon/burgandy? I have some left over from my breast cancer afghan, which you can see at the Misc CAL. Would that work. A couple girls at work moved here from that area and were wearing school colors on Friday and the colors they were wearing weren't really matching what I have (it was more a purply color). Let me know. I can do a couple. I have LOADS of white.

Joyce

Ladies:

ANY shade of those colors will do, and you can use any combination of them in the squares. So you can do a square of just white if you like, or a square with all three colors. I don't want to make this too difficult on anyone, and I know that when they are all put together it will add variety to have different shades :)

Ladies:

ANY shade of those colors will do, and you can use any combination of them in the squares. So you can do a square of just white if you like, or a square with all three colors. I don't want to make this too difficult on anyone, and I know that when they are all put together it will add variety to have different shades :)

Excellent. Please PM me.

Joyce

Jessica, I'd love to help. Can I have your address? I can make at least one orange/white square for now, but if this turns into a large ongoing project, I'll definitely help out although 33 comfortghans is quite a lot to make... :( If you need help with contacting the university, one of my best friends goes to Va Tech and just returned there today after spending some time with her parents at home and I'm sure she'd help.

I made two orange squares last night, I'll plan on making a couple of white ones and then getting them in the mail by the end of the week!

Wow, that was fast!!! Thanks!!

THANK YOU TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!! I cannot wait to get it put together and send it off to Jenny, I know it will mean so much to her!!:manyheart

i can make soem in white, i don't have the othr colors i don't think but if you need them can go and buy some, i am honored to try and help these poor kids god bless your friend and you for doing this, please pm me your addy alright sweetie:manyheart:manyheart

Hi Jessica, I think it's great that you're organizing this project. It's an incredible loss, and it's definitely shaken up college campuses all over the country.....Our campus is keeping everyone at VA Tech in our prayers. I'd love to send some squares, but I don't have any of these colors at my apartment here and I won't be going to my parents house (where my main stash is) for awhile....possibly not until after finals....Let me know if you would still be accepting squares around mid may, it sounds like you will be if you are going to do comfortghans for all of the victims families..I'm sure lots of people would contribute to such a great cause. Especially since this tragedy has touched so many people. Let me know about those squares and if you MUST have them sooner I'll see what I can do! Thanks!

I just wanted you to know that my daughter (a non-villager) made 3 squares today. Four of our squares are maroon and orange, the fifth has all 3 colors.

I can make at least one ... PM me your address and I will get it off this week!

Archived