Knot so ugly shrug help!

Cranky Crocheter

Question

This looked simple and all of thoses who made it said it was simple... so I just finished the back.. and now the sleaves... Is it me or are the instructions confuning?? Probably me thought:eek

I am suppose to attach new yarn on the 1st st of the 11th row and chain a certain # of chains..

Then I am suppose to chain another certain # of chains on the last loop of the 11th row...

Are these 2 chains being attached to each other somehow??? Arg.. I know its confusing to explain... If anyone has any understanding of what I am trying to explain, that would be great... if not.. I don't blame you:yes

Thanks... this might call for going to AC Moore and asking the nice crochet lady!

Seriously, I did! :rofl

I have learned the VERY HARD way to always swatch. ALWAYS when it's a wearable. ALWAYS.

Always...

Seriously...

ALWAYS!

:sofunny :sofunny :sofunny :sofunny :sofunny

Sew what you think would look good. I know, not so much big help now! :rofl

Wrong side is always the side not facing you. So it would be the INSIDE of the garment.

:woo

I posted this in the shrug CAL too..

Whoooo hoooo..:clap All done with the crochet portion of the shrug and I am getting ready to sew. I have 2 questions:

1. It says sew on the wrong side.. which side is that?

2. Any particular way I should sew? Through any particular loops?

I totally love this pattern now, I can see how it actually forms into the shrug and made me start to think about all the options you can do with this basic pattern. You can make it long sleeve or longer to the waist or criss cross the front!! Possibilities are endless BUT... with all the problems I had maybe I should just stick with this one for now, lol:D

Thanks!!!

OH... Special thanks to Knicknak... you helped me BIG time!!!

ARE YOU CRAZY WOMAN??????? lol Just kidding!! This would actually be my first wearable and the task is a bit daunting! I had a hard enough time figuring out the guage.. Since the yarn is plyable, I just figured it would be be enough for me... Guage, pfffff lol

But thanks for the reference, I will def look at all my options on the next one!!

Just to add a bit more confusion to this mess....

I have not looked at this pattern, but reading your discription makes me think that another option would be to work it similar to the BICO sweater rows 10 and 11 where you fasten off. Chain ###, attach to end of row, slipstich across, and then Chain ###, turn and begin working the pattern again.

If you haven't seen the BICO, you can look at that pattern here:

http://www.crochetme.com/Feb_Mar_2005/patt_baby_sweater.html

Just popping in to add my two penn'orth. . . :)

Don't want to make anything more complicated than it need be <grin> but: if you've previously ever learned the foundation stitch (a.k.a. chainless start), I thought it was worth a reminder that this kind of pattern -- where you need to increase a lot of stitches at both ends of the same row -- is a perfect place to use it. You would make the extra chains as normal at the end where your yarn is attached and work back across them, forming one sleeve. . . continue across the body. . . then use the foundation stitch to add the extra stitches for the second sleeve at the end of the row. No need to tie on a separate length of chain, easier and more secure!

Here's a great tutorial if you need a refresher or want to try it; it even has a demo of just this situation under "Foundation Double Crochet" (though of course you can use any stitch).

Smiles,

I'm doing one too but with a 7 hook and sport weight yarn. I just did the filet pattern according to the size of the schematics and am just now at about 1" of the sleeves. It's going to be a while, but I can't wait!! Maybe I should make a matching skirt too!!

You're going to be fine Cranky!!!

I will be here with bells on!

Are you ready????? Going to start where I left off tonight!! I actually got to the second row of the sleeves across the back thing... but.. one sleeve has one more stitch...I am totally not starting over so tell me that its fine:no lol

Miss Knac.... you are way too funny :P I have been busy with summer scarf swap but I swear that I look at my knot so finished shrug every night, last night I even touched it!

But pleasssssssssse watch out for my post... I will be starting back on it next week... and probably needing your much needed help and humor!!!

:manyheart

Did you do a guage swatch first?

Are you seriously asking me that question? :rofl

No, I did not.. but the back is only a few rows so I am going to start it again... and I will make a guage swatch first...:yes

Oh BTW.... the back is suppose to measure 16' but after my accurate amount of chains and 20 ch spaces... mine is about 13' I am debating on frogging and starting over with a bigger size.. and yes.. I am using a L hook and yarn that is very close?!?! = )

Do you mean dig in the skein and pull out the other end? or will that get me a tangled mess? I don't mind cutting the yarn and then tying back on.. if that is going to make it easier..

Will post my progress... or lack of..:blush

Hope you feel better:hug

I assumed you were using the center. If you started this without finding the center, then it wont work. Cutting will worK!

....i think we must think a like, cranky crocheter. i was debating on doing that or a different shrug next LOL. i'm just waiting for the lining for my purse to arrive. =(

by the way, what i don't understand about that pattern is, how come the front isn't just a rectangle like the back? if you notice, the arm pits slant inwards. why is that?? ?

oh no... you read the pattern through!!!! If I do that, it makes me want to throw the book!! Hey.. we are from the tri-state.. of course we are gonna thing alike:yes

I am just going slow on this one and take it one step at a time... When I get to the front, then I will question why it slants, untill then... I don't know nuthin:devil

just use the outisde of the skien yarn on it. Do you know what I am talking about?

Do you mean dig in the skein and pull out the other end? or will that get me a tangled mess? I don't mind cutting the yarn and then tying back on.. if that is going to make it easier..

Will post my progress... or lack of..:blush

Hope you feel better:hug

....i think we must think a like, cranky crocheter. i was debating on doing that or a different shrug next LOL. i'm just waiting for the lining for my purse to arrive. =(

by the way, what i don't understand about that pattern is, how come the front isn't just a rectangle like the back? if you notice, the arm pits slant inwards. why is that?? ?

Too cool, you understand!

After a few minutes, I thought of a way you can do that other sleeve without having scrap yarn, just use the outisde of the skien yarn on it. Do you know what I am talking about?

Oh and, don't hesitate to ask again ok? Because of back problems, I am no longer working, so I am pretty much on here ALL day! :lol

KnicKnac... you are the best! I am less panickey at this one because this is my first attempt at a "wearable" so I figured I would run into some problems:think You explained it perfectly... now me trying it is another story! I am going to give it a shot tonight and see what happens.. I will also post a pic for further clarity...:hook

As I said many many many many many times before... everyone here is SO helpful!:manyheart

Thanks!!

PS: I did not frog this project totally so I am glad I don't have to start from scratch:yay

Here we go again! First of all, we must teach you NOT TO PANIC! :lol :lol :lol

Are these the directions your having problems with?

At end of row 11, drop loop to be picked up later.

"Shape Sleeves"

Attach a separate strand of yarn to first st in row 11, ch 42 (blah blah blah) for sleeve, fasten off.

Row 12: Pick up dropped loop at end of row 11, ch 45 (blah blah blah) for sleeve, TURN, cd in sixth ch from hook blah blah blah

Ok, what your doing is STOPPING at the end of row 11, DO NOT FINISH OFF - go back to the FIRST stitch on the row and ch the correct amount needed for that row, FINISH OFF THAT CHAIN, go back to the LAST STITCH where you didn't finish off and make a ch for the correct size.

The pattern doesn't say what I said in BOLD - you must then TURN, go back over your chain you just made, then over the back piece and then over the chains on the other side. This is now starting your "sleeves" portion.

Now, granted, they DON'T tell you how in the world you are supposed to drop the yarn from the end of row 11 and start a new chain at the beginning of row 11 - fortunately I had a scrap piece of yarn that worked out just fine that enabled me to leave the yarn at the end of row 11 and not have to cut it.

Now, I am really horrible at explaining, so let me know if this works for you ok?

Archived