That's some OLD yarn!

Trinket

I love this thread! At least half of my stash is old yarn. My mom, grandmothers and aunts buy up any yarn they find at yard/garage sales or thrift stores and bring it to me. I LOVE the old stuff for some reason. Looking at it, wondering who originally bought it, what their plans had been for it. And I can't help but wonder about the half-skeins I find..what did they make with it?

I'm the same way with buttons. I have a big thing for using unusual, and vintage buttons with certain crochet items. My grandmother has had a tin, ever since I can remember, full of buttons, some coming from clothing she had as a child. She grew up in WV (as did my grandfather) and they saved EVERYTHING. Granny said anytime clothes got worn out, you Always always saved your buttons. Recently I finished a baby gift for a dear friend and it was imperative that I used buttons from Grannys stash for it.

Whoa..sorry..got totally off-topic. I have an aunt that used to crochet and she gave it up years ago because of her hands, but every couple of months she unearths more of her old stash and sends it my way. I can't remember all of the names-a lot of it is boxed or bagged up and would require me completely unpacking my yarn closet and I've already done that 4 times in the past week lol- but I DO know I have some Sayelle in there. Quite a bit, actually-in many shades of rose lol. I also had some...I want to say the name was Reniassance or Rem..something. Radiance maybe? Oh and..Brunswick Windrush. Quite a bit of my old stuff came to me without a label though, so I have no clue what it is.

I totally use it too! I made another baby set recently(not the same one I already mentioned) and used some old Caron SS(I managed to have 3 skeins of the exact same color from 2 different yard sale finds and 1 skein my aunt had given me) along with some Caron eco I'd picked up on clearance(did 2 strands-1 in the lt.country blue old stuff, and 1 in the Eco shade Natural{I've used Eco Natural for more projects this past year..I love it}- for the afghan and hat, then did one strand for the sweater and booties) and it turned out gorgeous. I also used some ancient caron I had in Lilac- 2 strands- and made a scarf and hat for my youngest daughter last week. It needs a wash to soften up but it's soo thick and fluffy..I love it. I kind of wish I'd just gone on and made it bigger for myself. I still have quite a bit of it left..I'll probably make her some mittens to go with it.

I think I've rambled enough. I was just excited to see this thread and see that I'm not the only one that gets happy about yarn-regardless of what decade it came from.

Edited by crochetfreakCO
forgot to add something

A lady I used to work with brought me two garbage bags of yarn she had sitting around and most of it's pretty old. Like Sayelle, Wintuk and Kolor Match and a bunch of others. Alot of it will be used in scrapghans. Some of the colors are very pretty and some are OMG ugly.

• 1 year later...

:cheer

Some years after my mil passed away, fil made us come over and go through stuff in the basement (take what was my hubbies and whatever else we wanted), there were 2 huge shopping bags full of yarn so I took it. I have always been a crafter, but at that time I wasn't a knitter or crocheter, so the bag got stashed away in our basement. Last month my hubby dragged it out and I finally went through it! Along with several partial skeins of some antique yarn (mil has been gone for 10 yrs and hadn't knit for as long as my hubby could remember, at least 20 yrs b4) so this stuff was easlily from the 70's But not only was there yarn, needles and hooks but there was a nearly complete zig zag afghan (knitted) in a cream color!!! I had never used round needles before, but boy did I learn quick! We now have a beautiful afghan made by my hubbies Mom. It is the favorite of everyone, including the cats!

What a find and what a treasure!

hi, do you (or anyone else) have any variegated yellow or variegated yellow yarn, I think the yellow is Sayelle & the brown maybe Red Heart. I'm looking to finish an afghan.

Ok this thread got me to thinking about when I learned (taught myself) to crochet when I worked at good old Woolworths. We had wintuk, caron, red heart, a baby yard that I can't remember anymore, and a ton of cotton yarns. I bought some of Caron's Christmas Knitting Yarn and crocheted the tree skirt pattern on the label (still have the label after all this time) made it and loved it!! I think my X-hubby took it when we split as i haven't seen it in the 10 yrs since we went our seperate ways (lol being nice here lol). I want to find some christmas yarn that works up like this stuff did but probably never will. The price ticket as this was pre-scanners for check out was $1.39 think the sale price was .99 though..... to find yarn for .99 a skein again would be great!!!! This does bring back many many memories!!

Oh don't mention the furniture. When we pulled up our carpet our wood floor had an orange tint to it. Very 70s. I remember our green (ugly green) leatherlike couch and chair. Our pointed corner end tables (hurt my ear so I can't wear earrings).

You know I think I've saw some 1970s afghans hanging in second hand stores...

The 70's were definately a colorful time, if you like those colors. When we moved in this house, in 1990, the stove was Green and so was the refrigerator!

:manyheart

Ok here in illiinois we had a TG&Y and it stood for toys games and yo- yo's that was when I was a wee one. I still remember going in there holding my grandfathers hand and picking out an orange yoyo with a butterfly on it. Wish I still had that yoyo. But I can't remember if there was any yarn in that store I would have to ask my mom. I remember sayelle yarn, mom used that and wintuk alot.

Oh my gosh:eek . Some of you are making me feel "old":lol . Some of you mentioned K-Mart, Sayelle yarn, and Wintuk yarn. Back in the late 70's, when I was in my 20's. The place to get yarn was K-Mart(Sayelle) and we had another store called T.G.& Y.(:think I forgot what the initials stood for), and they had "Wintuk" yarn. Would you believe that I still have some of that yarn, mostly Sayelle in both solid and variegated colors. When my oldest was just a baby, I crocheted her a granny square blanket using Sayelle variegated pink. It's a real pretty yarn, the colors in it were brite pink, light pink and white. Last year I was trying to use up the yarn, I made some crochet butterfly magnets. When my daughter came over, she saw the butterfly's on the ****., she said, "Oh how cute!". I asked her if she wanted them, she said yes, then I told her the story about the yarn. I think back then when I was crocheting, I was crocheting "Mile-a-Minute" afghans. As Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the Memories......:manyheart Some of you maybe asking yourself Bob who:think :lol :lol

• 6 years later...

Wild guess, as I was buying yarn back then - 1970 plus or minus a decade.  Not later, I don't think.  There was a lot of sparkly yarn going on back then, plus the labeling of  orlon and olefin trademark for acrylic. 

Edit, Orlon came about earlier, but Olefin was trademarked in 1957.  So if you're wondering if it's older than that, no.

Edited by Granny Square

I am always on the lookout for older yarns in good condition.  Dazzleaire is one of my favs and have made a number of scarves, messy bun hats and just plain hats out of it.  A couple years ago I stopped at a garage sale late on a Saturday and the woman there had a HUGE box of yarn that she practically gave to me for a dollar.  It had soooooo many of the really nice old yarns and colors like soft moss green, summer yellow, some very deep shades of red and even a few true white skeins.  I've pretty much used up most of it as there was primarily one or two skeins to a color.  But boy, was it fun just going through all that yarn.  I will have to admit to getting rid of a few skeins like the army green, burnt orange and baby poop yellow colors.....shiver.....:lol 

• 1 year later...

I realize this is a very old thread, but it brought back memories. I used to get Sayelle, Wintuk and Fashion Knit at Zayers, Ames, K-mart, Woolworths and maybe even Bradlees or Leechmeir. Over the years I've gotten many old yarns, even some I 'd never heard of, Jack Frost and a baby yarn called Peter Pan. 

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...