Bleeding cotton

shelbyro

I have something I've been wondering about since I bought "contest favorites dishcloths" www.awesomeewe.com/462.htm

what happens when you make a cloth out of say, red cotton and white cotton (I use sugar 'n cream usually, or lion kitchen cotton)? Won't the red bleed and turn the white pink?? I have made 1-color burgandy cloths, and a year later I am still able to squeeze dye out of them when wet.:'(

I want to make some of the patterns, but don't want to waste my time if they'll just turn out pink!

tia!

Michelle

Perhaps you could make a tiny swatch in the red and white, wash it, and see if it bleeds before attempting the whole project. I've used the Sugar N' Cream pink variegated and it doesn't fade, but my mom made my grandma a dishcloth from a burgundy/blue/white combo and it faded, not too bad, but the burgundy ran. Maybe it's the burgundy?

It is my understanding that the textile industry has had certain chemicals banned. The reds used to be colorfast, but they have had to change the chemical mix and now the reds often bleed. I rinse my reds over-and-over.

My info. may be out-of-date.?

Margaret

I have really only noticed it with red/burgandy/deep pink. Maybe what you say is still true--wouldn't surprise me.:mad

a swatch!!! now that's a novel idea--I am much more of a "wing it" crocheter :^i^ --I don't think i've ever made a swatch!! I try to make things where exact size doesn't really matter, lol!

I will let you know what happens.

M.

Archived